AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about this set compared to the v500? When it will be out in stores, etc? The "product highlights" on the hitachi site state no differences, right?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
From reading the spec sheet, it looks like the main 2 differences to me are a true 720p-native set, and different optics (different lens system and finer-pitch screen). It also weighs more (I'd presume this is from the different screen), as the 60VX500 is just under 200 lbs, still not too awful for a TV that size. It looks like one of these may be in my future; I definitely need to check it out. :D

The 2 other differences I see are a different color (titanium vs. silver) and it also includes a second simplified remote.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I just spoke to the Hitachi Rep today and was told that the 50(and 60)VX500 models are the supposedly high end models (Directors series) and are 720p Native displays. Also they have the extra mini-remote different lens systems, and a deep black anti reflective screen. The difference in MSRP are as follows:

50V500 - $3799

50VX500 - $4099

60V500 - $4499

60VX500 - $4799

The VX models are supposed to be available by the end of October, but not at CC and sears. only at "high end" stores.

JWH

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ah, but will the VX models be PC compatible (via the DVI input) at a resolution higher than 8xx x 6xx?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I believe that even the current xV500 owners should be able to get 1280x720 working correctly eventually as long as the set accepts 720p as input. I'm not holding out much hope that they'll be able to get 1:1 pixel mapping with them however, but I am extremely hopeful that it will be possible on the xVX500 sets. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Googer
I believe that even the current xV500 owners should be able to get 1280x720 working correctly eventually as long as the set accepts 720p as input. I'm not holding out much hope that they'll be able to get 1:1 pixel mapping with them however, but I am extremely hopeful that it will be possible on the xVX500 sets. :)
Can anyone confirm this? I've seen several posts to the contrary thus far and I believe that the official word from Hitachi on the V500-series is that they do NOT support PC input via DVI (although several folks have been able to get 8xx x 6xx output...but nothing higher so far).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by srs148
Can anyone confirm this? I've seen several posts to the contrary thus far and I believe that the official word from Hitachi on the V500-series is that they do NOT support PC input via DVI (although several folks have been able to get 8xx x 6xx output...but nothing higher so far).

Check this out (mid-page)
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...43#post2717643

Looks like Radeon cards are having a bit more success.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The reason why I say they should eventually be able to get it to work, official PC support or not, is simply because when using the proper timings, 1280x720 from a PC is transmitting an HD-standard 720p signal. This means as long as the TV is capable of receiving such an input that 1280x720 from a PC should be possible.

·
Registered
980 Posts
How are they going to sell at that price point? IMO LCD can only compete with DLP if its significantly cheaper. Why pay the same for less product?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Two points:

1. It is already a bit to somewhat cheaper than Samsung's DLP - the 61" Sammy DLP has an MSRP in the $4999-$5499 range depending on who you believe.

2. The Hitachi LCD sets look better to me than DLP due to DLP's propensity to show temporal dithering artifacts. YMMW. :)

·
Registered
231 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DooDoo
How are they going to sell at that price point? IMO LCD can only compete with DLP if its significantly cheaper. Why pay the same for less product?
The prices listed their are MSRP, street prices are typically substantially less. For example the 50V500 MSRP is 3799 but I havent seen it for more than 3299 anywhere. The 60V500 MSRP is 4499, ive never seen it over 3999 and just yesterday had the chance to pick one up for 3699.

Ill bet we will see the 60VX500 for around 4500 which would bring it in just below DLPs for that size. Plus for many people, considering the drawbacks of DLP(headaches, dithering, reliability), LCD is definetly not less of a product.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Googer
The reason why I say they should eventually be able to get it to work, official PC support or not, is simply because when using the proper timings, 1280x720 from a PC is transmitting an HD-standard 720p signal. This means as long as the TV is capable of receiving such an input that 1280x720 from a PC should be possible.
We need someone to confirm that this is the case... thus far no one has and this is a major item that is holding me back from taking the plunge.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ugh. I knew I should have waited ;)

·
Registered
365 Posts
It will be interesting to see exactly what the difference is between these sets. Side by side comparison of the spec sheets on the Hitachi website, dispells many of the things that were suggested above... both sets have the same screen, the same anti-glare shield, the same lens system, the same pitch (0.098mm), the same resolution...

The only differences that I can discern are the added simplified remote, the titanium-colored cabinet, and oddly enough, the dimensions:

50V500: 35 1/2" H x 54 5/8" W x 16 3/8" D weight: 114.6 lbs

50VX500: 35 7/16" H x 55" W x 16 3/8" D weight: 148 lbs

Perhaps they've replaced the foam bits with lead bricks? :p

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hmmm, a second look at the PDF spec sheets shows that the vx500 has a:

Deep black anti-reflective shield

while the v500 has an:

Anti-Reflective High-Contrast Coating

yet the main webpage states that both sets have a:

Deep black anti-reflective shield: For improved contrast, color performance and light distribution

So which is it?! :confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
I finally decided that I wanted the Hitachi LCD but with my main concerns being PC monitor usage and DVD watching, in that order, I decided to wait around for the VX, which I though was supposed to be out now. I called CC and Sears, and neither of them show the VX in their systems. No one seems to know if the sets are any different, save the little remote, so am I wasting my time sitting around waiting?

I just want a new set and can't buy one because there's always something better just over the horizon and rapidly approaching........:mad: ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.