AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris04691 /forum/post/0

HEy i just got this and it looks a little blurry and funny out of the box

What are the best color settings and stuff for this, i have dishnetwork satelite

any hellp is very much appreciated

hey we need some info, like how you have your sat hooked up to your 51f59 by hdmi,componet s-video ect.. also it's probably blurry because it needs to break in some and you will need to do some adjustments, but first people on the forums need some more info on how you have everything hooked up. not every tv is the same ,but the settings for most f59 owners will get you were you want to be as far as settings go. first make sure you turn down the contrast before you do anything. the factory probably has it set at 80% or higher and it should not be higher then 50% and probably closer to 30/40% anyway give us some more info and then you will see more help flow your way.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply

lol contrast was default on 100

i have the satelite hooked into the tv just by the coaxal cable from tvoutput on the sat receiver into the back of the tv.

IS there a different or better way i should have this

Thansk for the help

·
Registered
154 Posts
Chris,

There is a ton of information that can be had about this TV here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=687477

You will find basic settings and much much more. I highly recommend you start reading from page 1 and on through.

As far as your satellite box is concerned you really need to hook it up via S-video or component (red, green, blue) if possible. You are using the absolute worst connection possible currently. If you make the switch to S-video or above you will notice a tremendous difference in picture quality.

Aspect ratio is up to your personal preference. 4:3 expanded is not too bad but I find that is cuts off too much of the guide on my DishNetwork setup so I mainly use 16:9 even on regular channels. It does not take long to get used to the stretching that goes on. I don't even notice it anymore at all.

Hope this helps you out and welcome to the xxF59 fraternity.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
For those who are interested, hit this link---

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=790702

to get to the Hitachi xxF59 "tweaks" thread. New thread I started dedicated to settings and user/service menu adjustments for this line of CRT RPTV. Easier than scrolling thru hundreds/thousands of posts over on the "main" thread (Hitachi 57F59A).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so i get an s video cable and run it from sat receiver to the video 1 input on back of tv?? and then i dotn need to run the coaxal is there a better oen to use s video or the reb, blue, gren component

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint67 /forum/post/0

Chris,

You will find basic settings and much much more. I highly recommend you start reading from page 1 and on through.

As far as your satellite box is concerned you really need to hook it up via S-video or component (red, green, blue) if possible. You are using the absolute worst connection possible currently. If you make the switch to S-video or above you will notice a tremendous difference in picture quality.

Aspect ratio is up to your personal preference. 4:3 expanded is not too bad but I find that is cuts off too much of the guide on my DishNetwork setup so I mainly use 16:9 even on regular channels. It does not take long to get used to the stretching that goes on. I don't even notice it anymore at all.

Hope this helps you out and welcome to the xxF59 fraternity.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:

so i get an s video cable and run it from sat receiver to the video 1 input on back of tv?? and then i dotn need to run the coaxal is there a better oen to use s video or the reb, blue, gren component

Yes. Although if your sat box has component (red/blue/green) video out, use that instead.

And if/when you upgrade to an HD sat box, component and/or HDMI will be the ONLY options for sending HD to your TV.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:

just checked my sat dont have component hook up im gonna run to radio shack ang get me an s-video cable

whats the best settings to have color brightness and all of that on

The major judge for specific settings are your 2 eyes--not to mention your viewing environment. But if you go to the F59 tweaks thread I mentioned a few posts back , the downloadable DIY Guide that is linked there starts out with basic user menu video setting ranges used by most F59 owners here.

Component hookup may cause you to have to adj Tint slightly differently then you would via S-video/composite. Just a heads-up for when you go component.

Just remember, for both higher PQ AND the prevention of the dreaded "burn-in", keep your Contrast below 50. Most users that have posted settings on the original Hitachi 57F59A thread seem to keep theirs btwn 25-40%. Lower Contrast will require a higher Brightness level, but that won't torch your CRT's the way a high Contrast level does.

Are you using a DVD player? If nothing else at this point, I'd run your DVD via component at the very least (if possible-pretty much all but the oldest DVD players have component out these days).

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:

can i please get some help here

If it's user settings suggestions you want, go back to my previous posts here on THIS thread. My earliest response to you included the link to the F59 Tweaks thread. The 1st post on the Tweaks thread has the link to download the F59 DIY Guide. Have you tried downloading that yet? It includes the most common user settings ranges that most everyone has posted here. It also has tips on convergence adjustments and some common service menu tweaks. Stick w/ the user settings first and find what looks the best.

Check to see if the Noise Reduction function is on for the satellite (or any) input. If so--set it to OFF. Just adds blur to any image--useless!

Keep in mind that no matter what connection type you use, SD material from cable/satellite is NEVER going to be as sharp as HD stuff---on ANY HDTV. You won't get the full "picture" (so to speak) until you spring for HD.

How do DVDs look on your TV? A progressive scan player via component looks very nice on the F59 (better than SD cable/satellite) and HD upconverted DVDs via HDMI CAN look a bit better than standard 480p DVD.

And HD-DVD and/or BluRay via HDMI will give you "true" HD from a DVD-like source.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeas i did my settins are

Day

Contrast 50

Brightness 60

Color 55

Sharpness 25

Color temp standard

Black Enhancement Low

Edge Enhancement Middle

Auto Color on

Noise Off

Auto Movie On

Aspect is at 16.9 Standard

i have it hooekd up with svideo cable as my dish dvr doesnt have component hookups

text looks blurry and the picture looks grainy

·
Registered
8,253 Posts

Quote:

i have it hooked up with s-video cable as my dish dvr doesn't have component hookups

text looks blurry and the picture looks grainy

How about DVDs? Do they look better/the same? Wouldn't run a DVD player on this TV w/o anything less than component.

Without seeing the TV (can you post a picture of what you're seeing), all I could guess is that you're seeing the less than stellar picture quality of SD satellite programming via S-video on an HDTV. Still better than composite (single yellow cable). HD programming should make a big difference. My in-laws have Dish Network and I can see the digital artifacts and compression noise (which can blur text sometimes) on their 36" direct-view (non-HD) CRT tube TV. I get mine via digital cable, so SD is not always great for me either. But this wasn't my 1st HD set, so I knew what to expect, SD-wise, coming in.

Have you tried receiving OTA signals w/ an antenna yet? Should see what the digital signals in your area look like.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Hard to believe no one has metioned convergence here yet. I do not own this set , however i do own a CRT RPTV. Convergence aligns the 3 CRT's (red, blue and green) together to form your picture. If they are out of alignment(and they most assuredly are) you're picture will be very blurry. A set-up disc is a nescesity with any set for setting color, brt, contr, etc.......... A manual convergence is always way better than any one touch type of convergence, so if these sets have a user menu manual convergence it needs to be done. There will either be a grid pattern on the screen or a series of +'s on the screen. Make all the lines or +'s white with as little bleeding of red, green or blue around them. Any where you see colors bleeding will be blurry on your set. No type of connection or settings can correct this, only a convergence. Hope this helps you out.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.