AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My boyfriend and I thought we found a great deal on a local "for sale" site the other day. Someone was selling a Hitachi 51f710 TV for $45. The only caveat was that the ultrashield was cracked. Otherwise, it worked perfectly. The sellers told us we could remove the shield, they showed us the screws, etc. So, we went with it. We got it home and tried to take it off, but it doesn't appear to be quite so simple.

Is there a way to remove the ultrashield and still use the TV, or would it need to be replaced with a new one to function correctly? If we CAN remove it, does anyone happen to have some "dummy" instructions for doing so? This is the first time I've had a "newer" TV. (The only other TV we have is an old 1995 tube TV.) With wires being attached to the screen, I'm a little nervous about messing with it.

Also, if it needs to be replaced, does anyone know where I could possibly get a cheap replacement? The only ones I can find online seem to be between $85-150 for the shield alone.

Our last option is trying to resell it, or calling it a loss and a lesson learned.

Any help would be really appreciated!

·
Registered
898 Posts
I actually have an intact shield + screen + bezel for a 51F710 in my basement. Shipping would probably be brutal on this not to mention trying to find a box to ship it... :/

Don't worry about the wires, they're just for magic focus and that sucks anyway, better to do convergence manually. You don't need the shield to watch the TV, it's just extra protection (the newer models 51F59A's came without the shield). Actually splitting the screen from the bezel looks to be tough from what I remember looking in my RP Hitachi's. I'd try to find something to maybe cut out the shield from the bezel without removing the screen. Maybe a heated up knife but being extra careful? If you do manage to do that try not to touch the screen with your fingers, if you do use Sprayway (NEVER use Windex or any ammonia based glass cleaner as it eats the plastic).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I actually have an intact shield + screen + bezel for a 51F710 in my basement. Shipping would probably be brutal on this not to mention trying to find a box to ship it... :/

Don't worry about the wires, they're just for magic focus and that sucks anyway, better to do convergence manually. You don't need the shield to watch the TV, it's just extra protection (the newer models 51F59A's came without the shield). Actually splitting the screen from the bezel looks to be tough from what I remember looking in my RP Hitachi's. I'd try to find something to maybe cut out the shield from the bezel without removing the screen. Maybe a heated up knife but being extra careful? If you do manage to do that try not to touch the screen with your fingers, if you do use Sprayway (NEVER use Windex or any ammonia based glass cleaner as it eats the plastic).
Thanks, Tch0rT!

Aw, man...I wish I could snag that shield off of you! Any chance you live near Indiana? :)

Hm...I'm a little worried about trying to cut it, because if we cut the screen behind it, then it's definitely game over. We've been living with the crack for now, but it's definitely more annoying on certain things than others.

Also, we're finding now that the picture "falls off" the screen on the edges. Changing the aspect doesn't help at all. So, when playing games, there are things (like the players' dialogue) that fall off the screen.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Aw, man...I wish I could snag that shield off of you! Any chance you live near Indiana? :)

Hm...I'm a little worried about trying to cut it, because if we cut the screen behind it, then it's definitely game over. We've been living with the crack for now, but it's definitely more annoying on certain things than others.

Also, we're finding now that the picture "falls off" the screen on the edges. Changing the aspect doesn't help at all. So, when playing games, there are things (like the players' dialogue) that fall off the screen.
I'm in lower mid Michigan. The picture "falls off" is called overscan. It's normal for RPTV's. There's ways to cut down on it but it's a real PITA to do without a video scaler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts