AVS Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always stayed away from larger TV's, especially rear projection units, as display units in stores were probably (I hope) not adjusted properly and did not make me want to make the jump and purchase. A recent move into a home with a large 19X22 with 10' ceilings living r9om made me take the cheap leap by purchasing a used Hitachi 51F710S for a $Franklin.

The set was in storage and I couldn't check the picture very well sitting in the back of a truck outside the manager's office. Got it home and there is a yellowish overtone to all bright light or white colors. I've adjusted the color tone through the video menu and seen some improvement to overall color appearance but still have the yellow overtone.

I've searched Hitachi 710 threads and F59. Some of the threads are daunting with 4,000 posts!

Here is what I have now.

At night

Picture Mode: Night

Contrast: 40

Brightness: 80

Color: 80

Tint: Middle

Sharpness: 50%

Color Temp: High

Black Enhancement: low

Edge Enhancement: off

Auto Color: Off

I have tried the Color Management menu but haven't made any great strides so I've reset all of them to 50.

I don't know how to determine of the tubes / cannons / bulbs are good or dirty or old or working properly.

Any help or guidance greatly appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I want to give a kudos / bravo / mucho thanks to Mr. Bob of Image Perfection - www.imageperfection.com for helping me out with a Hitachi 51F710S that I purchased out of a storage locker for $100. When I got the unit home and plugged it in I was hugely disappointed with the image quality and thought that I would have to put it on Craigslist and hope that I could get rid of it. Before I did so I turned to the AV forums seeking some help and luckily found Bob (Robert) Jones responding to user questions as Mr. Bob. I contacted him to inquire about contracting his services for remote help. We came to an agreement and from Portland, OR to Flemingsburg, KY we started the work.

Bob walked me through the disassembly of the unit and 10 surface cleaning of the projector lenses and mirror while explaining the why’s and how’s along the way. It wasn't difficult and having Bob on the line with today's technology (cell phone with camera and messaging) made it idiot proof. The picture was improved but I was still disappointed but Bob reassured me that we were on the road to success. We then tuned the unit with the standard menu options to determine what further needed to be done. Then we deep dove into manual color settings and, WOW, what a difference. A great unit that was mis-calibrated would have been passed around, owner to owner, regulated to kids rooms or 3rd TV until someone took it to the dump was revived!

I have beautiful color now and it is a joy to watch. I’ve never seen a RP CRT unit look so good. I’m not a “phile” but I see the quality that Bob was able to resurrect from this unit (from 2,000 miles away!). I told him that compared to the best image display that I had ever seen in person that mine was 98% of that. I see these units for $100 or less all the time on Craigslist and wouldn’t have any fear of purchasing another to resurrect with Bob’s help. Maybe for my son's room.... ;-)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts