AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just brought home a new Hitachi 51S500 RP TV I hooked up my Panasonic S35 Progresive scan Through the Svideo And picture is very bad Should I waste $ on Composite cables or get a better DVD player??

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So This DVD player I have Is not good for big screen TV? Even If I get componet cables I could have better picture with what DVD player?? I had a Toshiba before this one and it had a screen saver when paused this Panasonic does not, that worries me with my new TV I dont want to burn screen.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
Panasonic S35 sucks balls. Return it!
Awesome reply!!

I have heard that all of the new Panasonic players are worthless.

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
If the Pannys suck so bad, why did Denon use one for their high end DVDP?

All progressive DVDPs maintain a certain level of purity of signal - miles above what we considered state of the art with SVHS and LD - and a properly calibrated Hitachi display will make even the S35 dance and sing. Have me calibrate yours and I'll show that to you. Aside from those sad, misguided progressive DVDPs that don't even have 3/2 pulldown - like the Pioneer 434 - the differences in quality among DVDPs is much more subtle than the much more major differences - like the differences in format - like between the i and p scanning formats, and between the DVD format and the SVHS and LD formats. Even the Pio 434 had a picture that was far from "horrible". Most regular people wouldn't even pick up that it didn't have 3/2 pulldown.

Secrets of Home Theater has done several years worth of shootouts among DVDPs, if you want to really plumb the depths of the subtleties among the various brands and models of DVDPs out there.

Progressive scanning cannot be used via S connections, nor via composite connections, both of which are strictly 480i. Component connections - 3 of them for just the video - have to be used, on component input, and your DVDP has to be SET for progressive OP, rather than interlaced OP on your component OP, which can OP either i or p scanning.

The Pannys generally need to be switched over at the unit itself. The Tosh's always seem to make the switching available on the remocon.

Mr Bob

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Bob
Denon 1600 is based on the Panasonic RP82 which is an awesome DVD player. Problem is, Panasonic went away from their wonderful line (RP62, RP82, XP30, XP50, CP72) and are pretty much crap now. I'm surprised you haven't caught wind of this before now Mr. Bob.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Mr Bob,

My reference to panasonic players being worthless is based on the NEW players. This years models. The players after the xp30 and 50.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
Panasonic S35 sucks balls. Return it!
NICE:D

These new players are terrible, cheap, garbage.

The old players (RP56, DVDCP72S, 82S, X30, X50) were great.... all with FARADUJA processing power....

New ones use pansonics's own all in one chip solution and do not have the same progressive scan 480p picture quality of the old players... the reason why they are so cheap!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So my Question still stands, Will my S35 do justice to my new 51S500 or should I look for a better DVD player?? I mean I just dropped $2500 on TV so another $300 on a DVD player Makes sense Only If the $300 unit will look alot better than my S35???

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
Sorry, after I bought my RP 56 I just stopped looking! It had the Sage/Faroudja chip in it and I was happier'n a pig in ****...

Had no idea the Panny DVDPs had become so miserable of late. Glad I got mine when I did - will stop lamenting that I did not wait for the prices to come down, like I have been!

My earlier comments still stand, tho. The format alone gets you at least a reasonably good pic. There's really no excuse for a "horrible" pic from a present day DVDP.

Except for how the manufacturers are sending their RPTVs out. To pass inspection by the intrepid readers of THIS forum, ANY new, OOB RPTV needs to be fully calibrated before any judgments can be made on the image material, no matter where it comes from - HD or DVD.

Your display device definitely needs a full calibration, IMHO. Both of its main scanrates to be sure, but for the purposes of this discussion, at LEAST the DVD's 480p.

Then you can make at least an informed decision.

Mr Bob

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for help all, First thing me and wife will do is switch rooms to a 10 ft viewing area, right now we are at 7 ft from TV can see every inperfection that close it seems, was looking tonight at regular analog cable connection looks allmost as good as my DVD playback something wrong with that. I paid for a 5 year Warranty Will they do this Calabration I need under that??

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
I recommend running S35 interlaced...but make sure to use component video. Component 480i is noticeable better than S-video on my Hitachi.

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
My successful calibration criterion is what I use at home for veiwing distance: I sit 8' back from my 65" Panny, and am in heaven. If I had a 51", I would definitely expect to be able to sit 7' back and also be in heaven. Check out my website. The photo of the HD image on front cover was shot at 6' with an analog camera. I expect everyone whose RPTV I calibrate, to afterwards want to scoot their viewing chair up a few feet from where it always has been before.

However, I wouldn't expect quite that level of performance from a Hitachi. When converging, we are not allowed to see any inputted patterns - just the overly lit internal Hitachi convergence grid, which is so hot that its lines are really thick.

Whenever the service menu convergence work gets memorized, it also comes back just a little different from what was sent in.

For those reasons, I would have to add at least an extra foot of viewing distance for a Hitachi, vs. for a Mit, Tosh or Pio where that wouldn't be necessary.

And no, nobody out there offering warranty covers a fullscale, fullservice calibration. Nobody except the owner of the display device. How do you think they sell them so cheap these days? To calibrate them the way we do, it would raise the bottom line on ALL units, and they just ain't gonna be doing that. Price has gone down and ain't never coming back up.

Most buyers couldn't care less whether their sets are calibrated or not, so it remains strictly in the domain of the videophile.

The prices have been coming down year after year, so just use the money you've saved because of that, for your calibration.

Mr Bob

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Sorry, after I bought my RP 56 I just stopped looking! It had the Sage/Faroudja chip in it and I was happier'n a pig in ****...
RP82, XP30, XP50, CP72, or Denon 1600 will produce an even better picture than the RP56...to bad it is getting almost impossible to find one.

·
Registered
9,828 Posts
Any of those nicer Pannys have zoom, for protecting your RPTV from screenburn on harshly lit 2.35:1 movies like Pitch Black? The Sage/Faroudja chip had no zoom capacity, and PB was one of the first DVDs I played on my RP56, on my brand new 65" Panny and its virgin phosphors. Even tho it would compromise the tightness of the resolution, I wanted to be able to use zoom to fill the screen for that particular movie on that new a set, and could not.

Do the newer DCDI chips have zoom, and is that chip still what was being used in those nicer Pannys, the ones you can't find anymore?

Mr Bob

PS -

>>Consider trying a DVI enabled player with this set

Making finer the signal you get to an uncalibrated set won't really improve things much, if any. If DVD and OTA 480i material from cable and DSS look roughly the same, I doubt that DVIing it is going to help any.

Now on a finely calibrated set, yes, I'd agree. All differences/improvements in signal/source material show up like gangbusters on a finely tuned, high resolution display device. The Hitachi, once calibrated, would benefit in that case.

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Quote:
Any of those nicer Pannys have zoom, for protecting your RPTV from screenburn on harshly lit 2.35:1 movies like Pitch Black? The Sage/Faroudja chip had no zoom capacity, and PB was one of the first DVDs I played on my RP56, on my brand new 65" Panny and its virgin phosphors. Even tho it would compromise the tightness of the resolution, I wanted to be able to use zoom to fill the screen for that particular movie on that new a set, and could not.

Do the newer DCDI chips have zoom, and is that chip still what was being used in those nicer Pannys, the ones you can't find anymore?
Say it ain't so Mr. Bob. You are afraid of screen burn from 2.35:1 DVDs? I have never heard of anyone getting screen burn from this aspect ratio on a properly calibrated set.

Anyway...the DCDi Pannys do not have the zoom. The newer DCDi chipset with zoom is used in some Denon and Phillips players (I know zilch about the Philips). The Denons (910, 1200) doesn't have the zoom AFAIK. The Mitsubishi DD-8040 has the same chipset and does allow the zoom (along with 4x3 windowboxing for 16x9 set), but has poor video quailty from my observations (took that puppy back to Tweeters after one night eval).

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.