AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After attempting a manual convergenge I am noticing a rainbow effect on the top and bottom of my screen. This is not happening on the left and right sides. Is there some way to fix this? Could I have done something wrong? If there is any other info that you would require please let me know as this is driving me batty!

Torpid

P.S. I would have attached a pic of the issue but no digital camera available :(

·
Registered
117 Posts
make sure that when ur doing convergence....start with the middle. i usually start with the middle point and go in a clockwise spiraling direction towards the outside of the screen.

sometimes when u tweak the middles, the outsides become unconverged and u have to tweak them again...so i generally tweak them last. they are the hardest to get, so it really takes patience and a good eye

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I have always started from the center and done red then started all over and done blue. I typically use the channel down as it does the correct rotation process for you and you don't get a headache eyeballing what point you should do next, lol. I learned the tip from a google search long ago. Any other ideas as to what could cause a rainbow effect on the top and bottom of the screen? There are no speakers, high voltage units near my TV either. Maybe I have a defective unit? I'm not really sure what it could be as I have searched and not found one other with the same issue :(

Torpid

·
Registered
117 Posts
is it impossible to get the lines focused?? i don't see how you can't get them focused, since when u press left/right, up/down etc, the lines change shape. it's not like the lines skip over like 5 sections to the other side or something.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Are you talking about a 'bulging' effect on the top & bottom middle of the screen? Looks like the picture is being pushed out of where it should be? Color lines still converged though(no red or blue really visible), if so then I have the same thing on my 57s715. It's for the most part so little that I never bothered to worry about it(maybe a quarter inch at worst part). I think I've read other posts about these sets with same thing, would be nice if they were perfectly level lines across but my eyes can't tell the difference when I'm viewing an actual picture.

PS. If you do figure out how to correct this though I would be interested in how.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jonwww
Are you talking about a 'bulging' effect on the top & bottom middle of the screen? Looks like the picture is being pushed out of where it should be? Color lines still converged though(no red or blue really visible), if so then I have the same thing on my 57s715. It's for the most part so little that I never bothered to worry about it(maybe a quarter inch at worst part). I think I've read other posts about these sets with same thing, would be nice if they were perfectly level lines across but my eyes can't tell the difference when I'm viewing an actual picture.

PS. If you do figure out how to correct this though I would be interested in how.
u might be able to reduce the problem by adjusting overscan...however, it is fairly advanced...and i wouldn't recommend you opening you tv and tweaking with knobs...the damage u might cause can very well be irreversable.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't seem like other lines are moving when I am aligning at all. Nor does it seem that there are geometry anomolies in the areas I am concerned with. It just seems no matter how hard I try to get the areas converged they never become fully white. I have tried Mfusicks post on convergence but can't seem to get to 3x3 mode. I have done the latter two but the lowest mode doesn't seem to want to pull up. Not even sure I would have to go that far cause for the most part convergence seems OK. It's just the very top area and very bottom. Thanks for the replies I will do some research to see if I can figure out the issue and keep you all posted.

Torpid

·
Registered
117 Posts
like i said in my last post...it might be overscan. it's generally very difficult to focus the outside edges of the TV. sometimes..if ur overscan is too little, there might be problems with focusing the edges. however, if you've never adjusted your overscan, then it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never adjusted overscan and am not too sure on how to find my current overscan %. The only thing I have tried are a few ghosting tweaks which I took back to default values and manual convergence.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.