AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will the 5xS500 models from hitachi display 4:3 progressive material with black bars on the side, or will it stretch the image to fit the screen? Can I adjust the aspect ratio of 480p content using the various stetch modes if I choose?

Thanks,

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
Yes you can choose whatever mode you want to display 4:3, there are six or seven different modes, and you don't want to have black bars on the side you want gray bars (which is the default) because it prevents the opposite of burn-in.

And great TV choice. Of all the TVs out there, for low cost HDTVs I made the same choice and don't regret it for a second.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nothru22,

Thanks. I ordered the 57S500 today. I have 16:9 RPTV (HD) already, so I know to use gray bars. The reason I said black is becuz all the models I saw in the store had black bars. Black looks so much better, but I don't want to wear the set out. I looked at a lot of TV's and the Hitachi seemed to be the only logical choice for an xbox gamer, becuz of 720p. I know this tv upconverts 720p to 1080i, how does it look after conversion? beautiful I bet, but I am just curious.

·
Registered
9,717 Posts
It looks freaking awesome. I think quality for dollar can't be beat with the TV you ordered. I completely respect the advantages of a DLP RPTV or DLP front projection but holy hell, I'm not made of money. There wasn't a time I've been in front of my TV that I've thought "I wish I would've spent twice as much."

You can change the bars to black but it resets once you turn the TV off. At first I played games like Resident Evil with black bars cause the gray bothered me but now I don't even see the gray bars anymore.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On my RCA the gray bars (output by my DTC-100) kill me. I think they make the whole picture look gray. And contrary to popular belief RCA does make a good TV for the money. At least in my experience they do. However, I was a novice when I got the RCA, and after 9 months of playing with it, I realized I need more than an entry level TV, plus I have the dreaded streaking problem, that ruins an otherwise gorgeous picture, and all 480p content is auto stretched to fill the screen, and you can't adjust it to 4:3 mode. It also doesn't accept 720p. Anyway, enough about the RCA, I can't wait to get my Hitachi. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
TV arrived yesterday, works great. xbox looks awesome on it, HTPC looks awesome on it. I don't like the way powerdvd looks on it, but that is for another forum. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.