AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my TV back in 11/03, but don't get the chance to use it all that much since I travel for work 4.5 days out of the week.

Scenario goes like this:

I come back home after my work week and say I turn on the TV. Sometimes what happens is that when the image pops up, it's got static-like horizontal lines running across it accompanied by a pssht, pssht noise as if I've got a bad signal. This event varies in duration. Anywhere from 5-12 seconds. It's as if once the TV warms up during this time period, the static image and noise go away.

Over the past 2 months, this must've happened 5-6 times with the last three occurrences happening in the past two weeks.

I bought my TV through UECWEB.com and everything was cool with the TV until this stuff started happening. And it doesn't seem to be dependent on the source of the input either. Whether it's DVD, Xbox or my Comcast connection, it's like it doesn't matter. It's the TV that's doing this.

Any tips/tricks?

Please advise.

Cheers,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine stopped doing it for a week or so but the symptoms have started up again. I would guess it happens more when I am using the HD tuner.

In any event I would be curious as to what you find, please keep me posted.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tricky part is, I gotta reproduce the problem. I haven't been home in about two weeks and my appointment with the dude is this Friday. So hopefully when I turn the TV on for the first time, it'll give up the horizontal lines and the dude can assess the situation.

Will definitely keep you updated.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BKC
The tricky part is, I gotta reproduce the problem. I haven't been home in about two weeks and my appointment with the dude is this Friday. So hopefully when I turn the TV on for the first time, it'll give up the horizontal lines and the dude can assess the situation.

Will definitely keep you updated.
Even the 65X500 has this problem AND I was able to duplicate the problem for the service tech. Here is what I do to reproduce the problem.

First my setup:

Hitachi 65X500 - 2 weeks old

I am using DVI for input 1 from a dishnetwork satellite receiver 811.

I use component 480p for input 2 from a Panasonic XP30.

I use composite 480i input for input 3 from a Sony SLV-N70 VCR.

Everything is off for at least 8 hours prior to doing this except for the VCR (It is usally left on to feed a signal to the TV in the kitchen).

Virtual HD is set to 1080i

1. Turn on Hitachi. Select input 1.

2. Turn on dishnetwork receiver. Picture is shown. All is fine.

3. Switch to input 2.

4. Turn on DVD player. -- Problem usually occurs. *

5. Switch to input 1 after 1 to 2 seconds. -- Problem stays.

6. Switch to input 3 after 1 to 2 seconds. -- Problem stays.

7. After 2 to 8 seconds, problem will stop.

* If problem doesn't happen, I switch to input 1 and then turn off DVD player. I then start again from 3.

I can usually reproduce the problem for up to 15 minutes, but sometimes I can only do it 1 or two times afterwhich there is no way to reproduce the problem with out letting the set cool down.

The last phone call I got from the service tech is that he is going to replace the high voltage power supply. I do not think that he has yet confirmed the problem with Hitachi, so who knows what will really happen. He has not called back to confirm a time to replace the power supply.

Lastly, I have a co-worker who bought the 57S700. He is experiencing the same problem.

--

Rick

·
Registered
195 Posts
I've been able to reproduce the problem but not consistently. The last time I was unable to reproduce the problem, I had Virtual HD set to 540p. And the last time I was able to reproduce the problem, I had Virtual HD set to 1080i. Has anyone else noticed any coorelation? If anyone sees the problem occur, check your Virtual HD setting and report it on this thread. It may be nothing, but if the problem only happens at 1080i, it may help Hitachi to figure out the problem.

Also, I talked to the service tech that is in contact with Hitachi and he told me that Hitachi is sending him some wires to be replace in the set. It may be true or he may be blowing smoke.

---

Rick

·
Registered
9 Posts
I keep my set on 540p for Virtual HD and lately I have seen the problem occur as regularly on that setting as I do using the HD tuner which I believe is always 1080i.

I've tried hard to find some correlating factor but currently I have no theories. When I turn it on, it is either perfect and it stays that way (and sometimes it will work like that for many days in a row). Or I turn it on and have the static lines within the first few mins and it stays that way for some varying length of time, I'd estimate always less then 30mins.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so the Hitachi referred fixer-upper guy showed up and here's what he found out:

Opened up the front to expose the three tubes. He somehow tested the blue tube. No lines. Red tube. No lines. Green tube. Lines.

He pushed on the high voltage lead of the green tube with a plastic thing so he doesn't get jolted and he was able to faithfully reproduce the horizontal lines that I've been noticing.

He thinks the high voltage lead isn't contacting right, there's too much insulation, etc.

He's going to come back and replace the high voltage lead for the green tube and see if that checks out OK.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BKC
Ok, so the Hitachi referred fixer-upper guy showed up and here's what he found out:

Opened up the front to expose the three tubes. He somehow tested the blue tube. No lines. Red tube. No lines. Green tube. Lines.

He pushed on the high voltage lead of the green tube with a plastic thing so he doesn't get jolted and he was able to faithfully reproduce the horizontal lines that I've been noticing.

He thinks the high voltage lead isn't contacting right, there's too much insulation, etc.

He's going to come back and replace the high voltage lead for the green tube and see if that checks out OK.

Hope this helps!
BKC,

This does make a lot of sense to me. One person that I talked to told me that the problem sounded like a problem with Green Sync since the center of my picture will sometimes bow upward. And the tech that is servicing my set said he was getting replacement wires. Maybe it is the greeen high voltage lead. It will be interesting to hear your results. I'm on hold for now. But will return in about a week. (Got that CJ? ;))

--

Rick

·
Registered
9 Posts
That sounds like good news, keep us posted on if this is "the fix".

How cool will I sound if I can call the repair center and say "the high voltage lead of the green tube" needs replacement" ;)

Thanks to all for helping find a fix for what seems to be the only problem I've ever heard of with these TV's. For any people thinking of getting a Hitachi and worried about this problem, I wouldn't... I really like this TV and it seems to be a pretty rare problem at that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wasn't I the one and only guy who actually went on to track down the fix? ;) I guess it may well just be my TV, but it sounds like you guys at least now have a point to start from.

The repair guy is coming back this Friday so I'll definitely keep you fellas posted on the results. I'm hoping it'll clear things up, literally, because the problem is getting a bit worse (I see the lines more often, although it still does go away after the TV's warmed up).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BKC
Wasn't I the one and only guy who actually went on to track down the fix? ;) I guess it may well just be my TV, but it sounds like you guys at least now have a point to start from.

The repair guy is coming back this Friday so I'll definitely keep you fellas posted on the results. I'm hoping it'll clear things up, literally, because the problem is getting a bit worse (I see the lines more often, although it still does go away after the TV's warmed up).
LOL, I'm sorry BKC, I didn't mean to disrespect you! Thank you BKC for starting this thread and hopefully solving all our Hitachi issues!

Seriously... Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
haha no worries, mate! i'll definitely keep you all posted. i hope everyone comes to a resolution with this because Hitachi HDTV is just so sweet.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
update:

wasn't home when TV guy came buy to replace lead.

left me a note saying "picture tube needs replacement."

rescheduled.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BKC
update:

wasn't home when TV guy came buy to replace lead.

left me a note saying "picture tube needs replacement."

rescheduled.
BKC,

When is your rescheduled date? Do you know if it is the green CRT that is going to be replaced?

Thanks,

Rick

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
it's either this friday or the friday of next week. more so this week since the part is scheduled to be delivered today.

i believe it's the entire picture tube (green) that will be replaced. will confirm on this one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a repair guy come out on friday. I showed him a copy of BKC possible fix, he dismissed that as my problem because the static was white. So the obvious question to you all is what color is your static?

He poked and prodded at the parts to try to recreate the problem. He called the repair center and said the only problem with these TV's they have is with fan noise. He basically shrugged and said he didn't know what was wrong....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.