AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to know if i turn off movie mode on my tv-disabling 2:3 pulldown and have a faroujda dcdi based dvd player hooked up to it will it use the faroujda processing?

I mean my set upconverts everything to 540p/1080i......isnt that turned off by not using movie mode?? or will it still upconvert signal but not use its own 2:3 pulldown if i disable it by turning movie mode off??...guess im a little confused??

any insight will be appreciated....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Here's my take...

The Hitachi's only performs 2:3 pulldown when in movie mode. To disable's the set's movie mode, use one of the other modes: News, Sports, or Music. You can configure the picture settings (Contrast, Brightness, etc) to one of the non-Movie modes to match the movie mode.

As for the 540p/1080i conversion, I don't think it is de-activated when you are on movie mode. Beside upconverting a picture to a higher resolution (from 480i/480p to 540p/1080i) is independent of the 2:3 pulldown process. That's my understanding anyways.

You can do some experiment to check. From my observation and reading many post, many folks have been unable to distinguish the difference in picture when switching between the 540p/1080i settings. You will though see some difference between the movie mode and the others.

Things to try:

1- Movie mode, DVD 480p

2- Movie mode, DVD 480i

3- non-Movie mode, DVD 480p

4- non-Movie mode, DVD 480i

I found the Hitachi 2:3 pull down performed better than the DVD player (Tosh. SD5700) 480p, so my preferred setting is #2. Your results might be different. I found #1 soften the image quite a bit...might be due to double 2:3 pulldown conversion. I've ran across some discussion about this but don't recall all the details.

Good Luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.