AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a radeon 7500 (powered by ATI card). Installed powerstrip and hooked up the dvi input to the TV and it works perfectly. Windows recognized my tv as a default monitor and powerstrip tells me its maximum refresh rate and resolution I am currently running 960 540P and the picture looks a lot better than it did using a transcoder and my 7000 radeon. Hope this lets people know that you do not need a trancoder with the 51swx20B series tv it works using dvi.

·
Registered
119 Posts
the text is perfectly readable. i have a gf4 and i use dvi out to my 20b. i want to get a transcoder also because i dont think nvidia is allowing me to use powerstrip to override the tv's standard res.

but the text is excellent. i thought it would be good, but even i was surprised at how good it looks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Can you see your whole PC desktop? Can you see your whole taskbar at the bottom?

Thanks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I did the same thing, using a dvi cable with my radeon all in wonder 7500... The text is fantastic around the center of the screen but goes out of focus towards the edges, on my 51swx. With powerstrip I guess you are able to change the number of active pixels so that you can have your entire desktop onscreen corrected for overscan. Though, I didn't spend enough time with it to get it right.

·
Registered
119 Posts
with dvi i get some overscan. not bad in 4:3 mode, just a bit, 1/2 taskbar off top and bottom, and a little off the sides. but in a full screen mode the sides get worse but the top and bottom overscan seems to remain the same. not bad for games ive tried.

powerstrip is supposed to let u adjust it to fit in the screen, but from what ive tried and read, the nvidias wont let u override the dvi parameters the tv requires for resolutions. i think ati's can override this.

eventually im going to try a transcoder to see if i can get it to fit better.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The overscan is easily fixable. Just make a new resolution in powerstrip using 540p timings. For my 57 inch SWX, using a resolution of 896*504 results in a nearly perfect vertical resolution (no black bars at either top or bottom and almost no overscan). Then just stretch the horizontal to fit.

Don't try to just use stretch on the vertical resolution as it will cause the image to go out of sync resulting in blurriness/convergence problems on part of the screen.

Also one limitation I've discovered is that the DVI only syncs up with the TV when the computer starts up. If you turn the TV off after the computer is on, all you'll get is a blank screen. Going into standby and back into windows will reinitialize the display, but this is definitely annoying if you use the PC for capture and have no other monitors attached.

·
Registered
440 Posts
how long can a dvi cable be? My computer's in my study and my TVs in the family room so I would need to run the wire through the walls and ceiling. Do they make DVI cables that long? I know there's some limitation to how far svideo can run, but what about DVI?

·
Registered
119 Posts
sure, there is risk of burn in using the pc on rptv, but no more of a risk than watching cnn w/ the scrolling ticker at the bottom, or some station logos that blaze in the corner all day. just read a post about a guy who burned the stock ticker.

nagorak: what vid card do u use? ati or nvidia? i was on the powerstrip forum and as far as the moderator there new, u cant easily use pstrip w/ nvidia thru dvi because it doesnt allow u to feed it custom res beyond what the display tells the card it wants thru the dvi. and i cant get custom res to work thru the dvi, could use your help if u have nvidia.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I have a Radeon so I don't have any problems. The only thing I can really suggest is buying an ATI card, or just living with it if the overscan isn't that bad.

Regarding DVI cable length, you can get them as long as you need, but they are massively expensive. My 10 foot DVI cost $50, granted I got that locally and probably could have saved half price by ordering online. But if you need a 50-60 foot cable the cost will add up very fast.

·
Registered
119 Posts
i considered ati, but im an old nvidia guy, and i like them. so i will live w/ the overscan or will try a transcoder for fun.

i bought my 3 meter (i think) cable from pacific cables, was only $18 i think. and a few to ship, like $25 total. not sure how long they go. check em out.

i used 'single link' not the 'dual link'.

http://www.pacificcable.com

·
Registered
359 Posts
A FAQ at http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI_Tutorial.htm states the following:

4) Is there a distance limitation?

Yes. For digital DVI cables there is a 5 Meter distance limitation.

There is some other detailed DVI info there so it is worth checking out.

This is for DVI-D (digital) which it appears to be on the Hit.

Is there any way of connecting IEEE1394 to the *WX?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi Nagorak,

You mentioned you've bought a 10M DVI cable for $50. Can you tell me where did you order it ? Is it a DVI-D interface ? Is it a dual linked or single linked ?

I am planning to get my HTPC setup but restricted by the cable length. If you have your 10M DVI cable working without any problems such as resolution without restricted by the cable length or others, I will order one for me too.. ( I am planning to run the native res. 1366x768 with my pj)

Is there a big difference using the DVI cable ?

Which ATI Radeon card are you using ? Do you use any capture card ? Do you use dscaler or powerstrip ?

I am new to HTPC. Many thanks in advance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.