Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st post...so don't be too tough.

I am almost ready to buy a Samsung 50" HLN DLP. I have come across a great deal for a Hitachi 55DMX01WD 55" DLP. I was wondering if anyone has any info on the Hitachi. Some on-line stores sell it for as much as $10-$12K, while my potential deal is on par with the Samsung. Its not refurbished. It seems as if almost no one carries the hitachi. Is it that new or is it that bad?

Any info would help.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
The Hitachi 55DMX01WD goes for under $3000 go with the Samsung, they are the leader in dlp rear projection tv. I have a Samsung hln567w and love the picture quality, if you wait the new updated dlp's will be out sometime this year.

Joe V

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by m_nieft
1st post...so don't be too tough.

I am almost ready to buy a Samsung 50" HLN DLP. I have come across a great deal for a Hitachi 55DMX01WD 55" DLP. I was wondering if anyone has any info on the Hitachi. Some on-line stores sell it for as much as $10-$12K, while my potential deal is on par with the Samsung. Its not refurbished. It seems as if almost no one carries the hitachi. Is it that new or is it that bad?

Any info would help.
The Hitachi is a pretty old model. No digital inputs. Based on the HD1 chip, not the HD2 series which the current Samsungs use much less the HD2+ or HD3 in the upcoming Samsungs. If some online stores have it listed for $10-12K, I doubt if they are selling any.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've had one for about three months. If your price is over $2450 + shipping of about $230 let me know. This is a 2002 model and the high prices are what the unit was advertised for back in 2002. Not sure if any ever sold, but seems like they have been moving these units for the last three months at clearance prices. One reason is that Hitachi dropped DLP for the future and went with LCD, so the 2002 model will be the only one. According to other posters, Hitachi has promised service and parts for at least seven years.

Pluses include price, great delivery service if purchased directly from Hitachi, terrific picture, 60 watt audio system that can be configued in many different ways, spare bulb included, $500 stand included. I don't have HD signal yet, but upgraded SD (Tv upgrades SD to 480p) and DVD's are great (obviously DVD via component input is much better than SD via cable).

Drawbacks listed in previous posts don't bother me that much (although the DVI could become a large issue). Some have said the differences from HD1 to HD2 are not as great as the specs would have you believe. Other drawbacks include: 1)The lamp is not covered by the one year warranty but is covered for 30 days. The replacement cost is currently about $700 but another poster said Hitachi is trying to get the cost down 2) Glare screen issues as in most other new Hitachis.

Gateway recently introduced a new 56" DLP for not much more than this also so you may want to check that out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.