AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the filter size for a Hitachi 5500?

I've received my second 5500. If you saw the image linked to my previous post, I've received the replacement pj and am reasonably happy with it. It has a definate purple "black", but, this time it is at least fairly consistent throughout the sreen and can be corrected with an appropriate filter. Looks like 40Y plus 30C or 30M plus 10y.

Now I need to find a source of glass filters that will screw in to the 5500's lens.

By the way, I used my Nikon 950 camera and Paint Shop Pro as a meter to correct the gamma table. Hit it close enough on the first pass that I quit tweaking and started watching movies!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Gary:

Someone posted the filter size as being 58mm.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Hi, Gary.

Could you please describe how you corrected the gamma table using your Nikon 950 and Paint Shop Pro? I might try the same thing with my Canon G-1 and Photoshop.

Noel

"....By the way, I used my Nikon 950 camera and Paint Shop Pro as a meter to correct the gamma table. Hit it close enough on the first pass that I quit tweaking and started watching movies!"

·
Registered
327 Posts
Gary,

Seems you're getting really serious about this - 40Y plus 30C. Wow! That's going to take a lot of big adjustments. Those glass filters are quite expensive. Have you thought of experimenting with the much cheaper polyester/gelatin filters first. It's quite easy to make a holder that fits snugly over the lens surround. The cardboard backing that comes in a packet of Epson A4 gloss paper is ideal. A 1/2" strip lengthwise is just long enough to form a circumference. Hydrocarbon contact adhesive works well with Lee polyester squares.

I'm also curious as to how you used your camera to correct the gamma table. I presume that you're using the light meter in the camera to measure the intensity of the different primaries - RGB. One thing I've noticed when hooking up the Hitachi to my computer and using Photoshop is the apparent impossibility of getting a good adjustment from the Adobe Gamma controls. (For those who are not into digital photography, Adobe Gamma allows you to calibrate your computer monitor so what you print matches, hopefully, what you see on the screen in terms of accuracy of colour and hue etc.) At one stage in the process there's a plain square within a striped square. The instruction is to move the slider until the plain square 'appears' to merge with the outer striped part. (You have to sort of squint your eyes or defocus to get a feel for this). So far, with the Hitachi, I haven't managed to get this right. The projector seems out of the range. With the slider to its maximum position, the inner square has not merged with the outer striped part. (Sorry if this sound gobbledegook to some.)

Noel, I know it's quite a hassle for you to email the Hitachi user manual in view of your limited email quota, but there seems to be a few crucial pages missing from the 6 parts you sent me. There's nothing for example that addresses the adjustments in the first set of headings under VID-AD. Do you have this section, please?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Barry,

I'm sending all six pages of the adjustments section again. When I extracted it previously, the optimize while saving box was checked and messed it up. This time it's unoptimized.

When I adjusted the gamma I adjusted the red, green, and blue squares separately and got much better adjustments than when using combined adjustment. A gamma of 1.29 with a target gamma of 1.0 was my final result. Color temperature was way high at 9300 degrees. Computer pictures look really good but I'm still experimenting.

Noel

Noel

·
Registered
533 Posts
Noel:

Sorry to bother you about this also, but I too am missing those six pages.

Thank you.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Noel,

Thanks again. Just received the 6 adjustment pages. However, I can't see any reference to adjustments under the VID-AD heading such as ADC OFFSET, ADC GAIN, VID CUTOFF etc. Do you have information on these settings? Are there any useful adjustments to be made there?

I've also got the gamma set low in Photoshop - 1.2 I think. I still find it impossible to get those squares right, separate or combined. Not sure I'd want to use this projector in place of my monitor for printing photos. On the other hand, I don't suppose any projector would be ideal for such purposes.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
barryz

those options are not listed in the service manual

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
barryz

yes i did but they do not want service technicians playing with those settings or at least there are no instructions on what they do or what to do with them. I just played trial and error

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi Gary,

I posted the filter size as 58 mm at one time. However, it was more a question than a statement. I tried to screw on a 58 mm polarizer, but had problems since the outer ring rotated and I could not grip the inner edge.

I would try with a regular 58 mm filter before special ordering a CC filter.

Disappointing that you needed such high absorbance filters. Could you bring the intensity back to original by tweaking contrast, brightness etc?

BTW, what service menu adjustments did you need to bring the image back to proper color after adding the filter?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.