AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 5500 and I am really happy with it. I am projecting onto a white wall and I rarely notice any purple greys or blacks and no dead pixels either. Maybe I got a good one. The fan is a bit noisy - a hush box and masking are the next projects. The only problem I have is very visible jaggies. These occur on high contrast diagonal edges. Not always but quite often. Even my wife noticed them. My screen is 9 feet wide and I am viewing from 15 feet. I am using an interlaced component video DVD source. Does anyone else see these? Is it normal? Would a progressive scan DVD player help?

P.S. Thanks toddalin for the great post on adjusting the grey scale.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
did you turn on the 3-2 pulldown to film in the menu

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, Film mode is on. Luckily this is a minor thing. I noticed it on Pearl Harbor DVD quite a bit but last night I watched Bandits and did not see it at all. Maybe it has somthing to do with the transfer from film to DVD. I read (in SGHT) that Titanic is a good test for jaggies. I'm going to look at that tonight.

·
Registered
475 Posts
One of the BEST tests for 3:2 jaggies is Star Trek Insurrection near the beginning with the hay stacks. Seems that lines go every which way. S&V always uses and touts this section as for jaggie test.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.