AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had this projector for a days time but Ive spent the good part of the day and night with it hitting it with everything I have. Today I will hook a progressive dvd player via component inputs and the Teranex. Im curious if it can do 1080sf.

My supplier had to open 5 units until he hit a good one. Mine still has the purple/blue blacks at 0 and 10 ire levels but other than that this unit is perfect.

Some Pros:

This thing is quiet.

Small and compact compared to the Dila.

Super bright. This thing is the brightest thing Ive scene in a long time.

I love the high rez and pixel fill factor.

Im pleased with the back level and almost no boarder light spill.

Great colors.

DVI works great.

HDTV looks stunning.

Some cons:

Using a HTPC/Theater Tek I get tearing via rgb/dvi no matter what refresh rate ( 48,60,72,75) at 1024,1280,1360 no matter what I do.

I am fine at 800x600 both rgb and dvi.

Gray scale is more like blue scale at 10 ire and below. Will have to buy filter and suffer loosing light output and contrast.

Cant run native rate and bypass internal scaler.

I wish the remote had more direct access keys. One for aspect ratios would be nice.

The above is just a quick summery of what comes to mind.

Feedback welcome.

All in all I highly recommend this unit. Im very impressed with this thing.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
100sf is a professional output resolution at 24 frames per second.

Its frame rate is doubled and fed to the projector at 48hz. Same as the real movie material.

This is only found in the broadcast environment.

The Hitachi 5500 has had this tint issue from day one. Its said the later models have improved on this flaw.

If they were to fix this this would be a serious contender to anything.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm a newbie to say the least, but have been following the PJ forums here for a month or so. This may be a dumb question, but Alan, what specifically did you ask your supplier to look for when he/she was opening Hitachi 5500 boxes looking for a "good" unit?

This projector is on my short list, and I may have to go the "sight unseen" route. So interested in knowing exactly how you couched the "black/purple" question to your supplier.

Appreciate your first impressions BTW, thanks for sharing your observations.

Trey

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trey

Here is what he looked for:

No dead pixels, even shading, I have seen 3 units with the purple push invade 1 to 2/3rds the entire picture even in the light areas. I wanted to avoid this. These were earlier versions and I have been told the current units have been improved.

I am able for the most part to adjust the image and drop blue to a point it is not an issue. Being a perectionest I still know it is there. Anyone else whould not notice it on my unit unless I pointed it out to them.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Alan wrote:

"Cant run native rate and bypass internal scaler."

That's surprising. When in most standard aspect ratios, up to and including 1280x1024, the third aspect ratio icon on the menu should be selectable. If you display 800x600 in real, for example, it'll be a small image in the center of the screen because it's mapped 1:1. If you can't do that, your projector's broken.

Here's a jumbled version of supported resolutions from a document I found:

Computer compatibility

PC analogue: 640 x 480, 720 x 400, 800 x 600, 832 x 624, 1024 x 768, 1152 x 864, 1152 x 870,

1280 x 1024, *1365x1024

PC compressed: *1600 x 1200

*only PC analogue (RGB1/RGB)

Chuck Davis

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Chuck

Yes you are right regarding what resolutions the projector supports.

You still cannot feed the projectors native panel resolution 1360x1025 and bypass the internal scaler.

The closest the projector alows is 1280x1024 and unfortunatly thats not even a 4x3 ratio.

Unlike the JVC Dila when feed 1360 it does do perfect 1:1 pixel mapping.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks for your observations Alan,

out of interest how do the colours of the Hitachi compare to the JVC G15. I noticed in your post that you said you were quite happy with the colours, however I would be interested in finding out whether the UHP lamp used by the Hitachi can hold a candle to the JVC's Xenon. I saw a calibarated G11 a few weeks back, and what impressed me the most were the vibrant colours produced by this machine..... if the Hitachi can produce colours as good as this, then I think we will have a serious contender on our hands. :cool:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Alan - You're right. I misinterpreted your post to mean that you couldn't run 1:1 at all. That shortcoming is disappointing, but I can live with it. I've run mine at 1280x1024 with Zoomplayer and it looks great even with the little black bars at the side. It looks awfully good at 1600x1200 scaled, too. I'm having problems concerning displaying 1080i, RGB properly. It works right sometimes and not others. I have to decide pretty quick whether I want to exchange it for another 5500 or keep the one I've got. I thought I had made all of the decisions I needed for a while, but I was wrong.

Chuck

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
I, too, would be interested in Alan's comparisons of a calibrated G15 to a semi-calibrated 5500. The color fedelity, saturation, hue response, bleed, etc. are of interests. And , yes, the 5500 is also on my short list of projectors, but that short list is getting longer.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Woah! Had to open 5 boxes to get one good one? How many people can do that? :D

This very interesting review (thanks Alan!) serves to highlight two things--there's a serious QC problem with our beloved digitial projector industry; and the good side is the amazing progress that is being made. AVS Forum will continue to deliver a mixture of praise, suggestion and criticism to the industry that will spur it to improve both performance and reliability.

Dan

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Curious ...

If Marantz, Hitachi, Sharp, JVC, etc., etc., etc. were paying some you technician, say, $60K annually, how many projectors do you think this one individual could QC in a year's time? That's $5,000/month, or about $250/day (or there abouts).

If the person only scanned for dead-pixels, or other easily noticeable problems, I wonder how long it would take (i.e. how many units could be inspected) to 'QC' a projector. This is especially interesting if one adds some automation, sophisticated hardware/software to assist in the minority/majority of the QC work/activities.

Even at one projector a day, this would certainly 'seem' a worth-while risk by the manufacturer to assist in diminishing the potential returns from the reseller and buyers.

Just a thought (and I have a lot of them as I sit here on this holiday weekend!).

·
Registered
332 Posts
Alan,

What kind of screen are you using or do you intend to use? What width? What viewing distance? What lighting conditions?

Thanks,

Chuck

·
Registered
634 Posts
Alan,

What did you use to feed the DVI? I tried with a 7500 Radeon, and it worked at 800x600, but XGA was junk (you could barely recognize the image).

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Steve

I did 800x600/1024/1280/1600

Yes for some reason 800x600 looks best but so did 1600 but I could not scale it properly to fit the panel.

Chuck

Im just using my off white matt wall:(

WanMan

I have not seen a dila in months but both have their positives.

A few things that come to mind, the 5500 has less of a boarder around the panel verses the dila. It is just as bright if not brighter than the g15 and I think it has better blacks and contrast. Of course it is quieter and smaller.

You cant tweak it like you can a dila. Also the lower 10 ire has that blue tint which is not an issue with dila. Mark Hunter is working on this and if he can pull this off this may be a serious contender for a high end theater.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Alan,

Do you know what Mark Hunter is working on to try to eliminate the purple blacks? Filters or other tweak? Did I miss a thread on this?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.