AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I was under the impression that it added about 2.5k - 3k to the cost of the base 5500 at a point when stock Pannies were about 1k - 1200 (this could have all changed)...

Then comes another problem... As we all know the RGB / DVI inputs are not perfect on the 5500 and yet the hitachi cannot natively pillarbox 4:3 content... So what are you supposed to do with that....

Although there is a full mode that would stretch 16:9 HD content (rescaling of course) any 4:3 adverts or intermissions in HD will also look distorted....

All in all the 5500's scaler let it down in so many ways....

I seem to remember also that you could not buy one alone... Had to be a package deal but again this could have changed....

The Hitachi had and has so much promise... If they fixed the judder some work with a filter brings superb images and color (could help the black level a bit but perhaps I am not there yet or should start with ND filters)... And at its price point its competative... How they let themselves release the 5600 with the same flaws while still promising the fix to the 5500 buyers is a tough one to swallow...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I need to understand the judder problem that Phat Phreddy refers to here. Is this because of a limitation on the internal scaler. If you purchased an external scaler does that fix the problem.

·
Registered
JVC RS500U, 2.35:1 125" screen, Marantz AV7705, 11.2 Def Tech speakers, Sunfire Theater Grand 400x7
3,078 Posts
do a search on 5500 + tearing.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
And put the coffee on :rolleyes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.