AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting up at 1:30 this morning, to watch Argentina Vs. Nigeria, I turned off the projector. I did not notice anything unusual, except that this time I left before the fan had stopped. I came back at about 7:45 ready to watch Spain Vs. Slovenia and the projector would not power-up.

I noticed that the stand-by light was out, but there were no indications of a power surge or an electrical anomaly. I have a local power surge outlet, Leviton, to where I connect the projector; it was working fine. I tried the on/off main switch, but to no avail.

I then disconnected the projector from the power source and did a continuity test on the power cord; it was OK. I connected the projector again and this time it powered with no problem. I watched the rest of the game and have since turned it on again with no problem.

1.- Has this happened to anyone out there?

2.- Does anyone have an idea of what could have happened?

Thank you.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hi Cai,

That hasn't happened on the 5500, but it happens almost weekly on my computer.

No amount of pressing the POWER ON button will turn the darn computer on. I have to physically unplug it from the wall, and replug it before it will come one.

This still happens even after I replaced the surge protector with a dedicated UPS.

Whatever you are having with your projector, I am having with my computer as well...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had the same problem today with a Phillips Hopper XG20 something or other. I also "fixed" the phillips by unplugging it for a few seconds.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Here's a couple of guesses...

These symptoms are indicitive of connector/powercord problems and/or grounding problems.

If it happens once and the powercord checks out, then the cord porbably wasn't seated well in the receptical on the device.

If it happens regularly you've most likely got an intermitant grounding problem with the outlet that you're using. Try hooking up a small UPS between your PC and the outlet to clean up the power and see if that fixes things.

-dw

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Some devices have a built in temperature based circuit breaker. If too much current is being pulled by the device (in this case a projector) the circuit breaker overheats and "pops". Once it's cooled down it automatically resets. Many of these circuits are designed so that the power has to be disconnected for the reset to complete. Sometimes the circuit is more advanced where logic is used in the process. In these cases all sorts of requirements could exist. Imagine, after bulb life reaches x hrs the unit shuts off until the bulb is replaced. :(

I know of a printer that will power off if the paper jams for more than a few seconds. It takes a couple hours with the power off before it will reset. A monumentally stupid design that results in every printer going in for repair at least once when it doesn't need to.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your comments. I will keep watch and be a bit more methodical in what I do, if this happens again.

I would tend to discount the heating theory since the unit, in all probability, cooled down properly. I had turned it off and it had the cooling fan going. Granted, I did not see the unit go into stand-by mode. But if it did, I would go with the grounding or loose connector theories. I will check those possibilities.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Getting up at 1.30 to watch soccer!!!!!!WOW!!!I didnt think there would be

anybody in the US who would do this.I grew up with soccer and i dont know if i would do this......

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
cai,

The temperature used by the circuit breaker isn't based upon the ambient temp. It's based upon a very tiny wire inside the circuit breaker. If the current exceeds a certain level the wire gets hot enough to "pop". Typically these circuits are for over current protection - not overheating of the electronics. This may not be the problem you encountered but it's a reasonable design for projectors and their normal intended use.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
Clearly Haunted Electronics.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Bizarro. I guess when it pops it resets again, like a circuit breaker, once it cools down. The funny thing is that this did not happen during operation, but between the time I turned the projector off and when I turned it on again six hours later. As I said, the unit was cooling normally.

Jimakros:

It is a tough job, but someone has to do it. It paid off today when we beat Portugal, live on my bigscreen. Worth whatever I paid Stewart. On tomorrow to France-Uruguay and Friday Falklands (Malvinas) III (II was in 1998), Argentina Vs. England. Kalinistra.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.