AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently own the Hitachi SX5500, however I have the option of a free upgrade to the SX5600.

I'm happy with the 5500, and it has no dead pixels that can be seen. I originally had lots of issues with bright blue dead pixels, and am somewhat hesitant to change.

I have just purchased a large gray screen with 1.15 gain, and intend to calibrate the PJ with Dilard's software for the 5500/5600 when it is released (hopefully within the month).

I wonder if the extra 300 Lumens is the only change in the 5600?

Would these extra Lumens prove essential after calibration in a room with (sometimes) tough light control?

What other reasons might there be for the change?

I'd appreciate any feedback - except the feedback that says I should change PJ brand, as that's not an option for me.

Thanks.

Sean

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
better blacks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tycoondog2

Thanks for the response.

How does it manage better blacks with an increase in brightness?

Sorry, I'm not sure what you meant?

Have they increased the CR?

Are the blacks going to be noticeably better?

Thanks!

Sean

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
blacks are supposed to be black and not purple black. increased CR would mean percieved blacks to be better

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm gonna have to ask you to spell it out for me please...

How does the new model create better blacks than the 5500?

What are the changes that make this happen?

I'm not technical tycoondog2, so I need clearer answers.

Thanks.:D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Lief

I can get an upgrade because I have had some bad luck with the units supplied to date, in that there were dead pixel problems.

I actually drove to Hitachi and met with the main guy and he agreed to upgrade when the new 5600 came out.

It's not a 'free' upgrade - more of a customer service thing in light of the problems.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Sean,

I'm not sure if the new one is much better, but if I were in your shoes I would take the upgrade. Some of my reasons might not make sense to everybody. It's a 5600 vs a 5500, so if you do decide to switch to a different projector you should get a better price (kind of like a 2002 car vs a 2001 car). Also, Hitachi seems to be trying to make you happy, so if you don't take their offer then you really won't have as much pull with any complaints in the future. If you get it and it has all sorts of problems the ball is back in their court. Once you have a 5600 it would probably be easier for them to take that back and sell it to someone else than if you were trying to get them to take a 5500 back. Now if you are planning on jumping to a different brand that changes everything, but as long as you are sticking with Hitachi I would advise that you take their offer.

If the 5600 really is better than the 5500, then all the more reason to take it. I'm guessing that it isn't worse.

--Darin

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
I have the option of a full refund (which would buy a 5600 at what I paid in Europe or even nearly a Maxx when they finally ship !!!!) and I am guessing could get the 5600 easily as recompense...

For me the 5600 sounds clearly like a better machine in the fact that they have probably got better CR's by getting rid of the blue leak (better polarisers or simply firmware ??) but I dont want to be lumbered with a machine that they never fix the judder on (I am a died in the wool HTPC'er)... I can live with not addressing the full panel (though dont like it) but the judder is my deal breaker....

Now we had a fix date on judder for Dec.... I quite like my 5500 (also 0 dead pixels, but gotta work on some color uniformity issues when I finally get time) and the throw is perfect for my current room. Plus I would believe that any judder fix that works on the 5500 would work on the 5600... So I could play gamble... Upgrade the 5500 to the 5600 for better blacks and CR and hope that they do fix the judder (but have no real recourse if they dont as I took the upgrade) or keep the 5500 so that if no fix comes I can take full refund and put the money into a Maxx or SX21 etc...

I really do feel bad about leaving Hitachi completely and taking my full money back after 6 months or so of use but they are the ones who lied in thier product literature (computer input 1365x1024 1:1 listed) and produced a product that has a scaler that needs fixing...

I would percieve the 5600 to be less of a machine than the SX21 and clones (due partially to the pixel count, real 1:1 DVI for the full panel, and probable more truthful CR's than Hitachi) but only by a bit (not viewed so this is supposition and reading specsheets).... It would be worth that lowering of quality to keep my guilt factor down that I would choose this if I get a 100% fix.... Otherwise Hitachi goes back for cash... In my case in Europe, and in a hurry that was a lot of cash.....

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well I got plenty of dead pixels but have not bothered Hitachi because my unit has good blacks, uniformity, and contrast ratio (for a Hitachi 5500). With the exception of the dead pixels and the blue bleed, we have always been pleased with the picture, even though its a little soft). I would certainly be willing (and have been waiting and wanting) to exchange/upgrade my unit when the time arrived. Ours was purchaced well before the technical flaws were revealed and we paid more than most people to enjoy our unit only a few months sooner. On these grounds, plus the number of dead pixels, Hitachi should exchange (or fix) our unit. More brightness and better blacks can only mke a good unit better. Sounds like the time may be here. Because we only feed composite/S-video/component, tearing and judder are not an issue.

Projector People, are you listening?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If DVI / RGB computer inputs are not important to you then that is precisely what I would be doing right now...

I would not give PP the hassle but deal with Hitachi direct...

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sean,

I also purchased the Hitachi 5500 before it was clear to me the judder was a real problem with DVI. But I work with PCs all day and I am not sure I can stomach the HTPC so I am not positive I care about the judder through DVI.

What I do care about is the difficulty I am having tuning this projector. I do not have the purple push when fed non-progressive signal from my RP-82 DVD player. Interestingly I set the brightness to +7 to get the correct shadow detail using the Avia DVD. When I feed the 5500 progressive from my RP-82 I need to push the brightness to +20 to get the correct shading but the purple push is almost unbearable. In other areas though the progressive signal looks better.

This leaves me in a similar quandary. Do I complain to Hitachi in hopes of upgrading to the 5600? I'd be interested in hearing how the exchange will work (can you see the new 5600 before releasing the 5500?) and the improvements Hitachi is describing. I am also wondering if the mythical Dilard makes most of my concerns moot and mitigates any slight improvements the 5600 may offer.

Please keep us posted on your decision process.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi William Wallace

I'm going to test the 5600 before making the change. The big thing for me is to make sure that the unit is free from dead pixels. If Hitachi won't give me the 5600 to do an overnight test, then I'm going to stick with the 5500, as I don't have any of the purple artifacts at all. The colour uniformity is awesome, and I have the PJ on a Brightness setting of -5 as I can't tolerate any more! I viewed the movie "From Hell" which is VERY DARK, with lots of shadows/night scened. I setup the contrast/brightness/colour using this movie as a benchmark. All other movies look great, and HDTV is perfect.

I doubt that the improvements are likely to be worthwhile the potential risk of having bright-blue dead pixels!

If I keep the 5500, I'm sure that Dilard's software will make things gorgeous..... personally I'm confident that they will have this available within the next month at the outset!

Of course, getting both the 5500 and 5600 side-by-side for a night would be the best scenario!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Brightness of -5 ?! I am shooting on a Grayhawk screen, but it can't make that much of a difference. Do you notice a difference between the using a progressive scan signal versus a non-progressive scan signal? I looked through the service menu but did not see any thing obvious to make up for the large disparity I see between the two types of signals.

At -5 I see no purple. I would love to be able to have that brightness setting give me the shadow detail. Did you do anything in the service menus? I wonder if their is a flaw in my RP-82 DVD player? (I keep reminding myself this is a hobby and not to get annoyed.)

My last contact with the Dilard folks led me to believe they are very close to shipping. I finally contacted them because I was getting nervous they were going to punt on the product.

And yes the 5500 and 5600 side-by-side test would be great.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Quote:
My last contact with the Dilard folks led me to believe they are very close to shipping. I finally contacted them because I was getting nervous they were going to punt on the product.
Hi William,

Actually, we would love to support the 5600 in the same release. We would like even better to brighten your Holidays :D , so we may add the 5600 update (if necessary) as an upgrade later.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi William

I am running a Pioneer DV S-633A Progressive Scan DVD player directly to my 5500 using high quality component cable.

My current screen is a plain matte white, however I'm just about to receive a new gray screen with 1.15 gain.

I have my contrast set quite high, but let me take a look at the settings tonight and email you directly with the way I have things setup.

Nice to see Mark Hunter's response - we may be in for a holiday season surprise?

:D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Maybe I'll grab my neighbors Pioneer 47A Elite DVD player to isolate the difference in brightness between the progressive and non-progressive inputs. I'm also using a high quality component cable I got from Jason Turk.

If you believe Hitachi will allow you to verify the 5600 before shipping the 5500 back to them, then that is a no lose proposition.

I'm starting to get excited about Dilard again. If the Hitachi 5500 does have different brightness settings with the progressive over non-progressive input signals, I can't imagine how Dilard could handle that. Maybe it allows you set the brightness level before calibration? That would then eliminate the problem with the gray screens diminishing the shadow detail. Just brighten it up for calibration.

I look forward to hearing your calibration numbers for your system.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Best brightness and contrast settings are obtained using the 29 bars in the service menu. See my old posting "29 Bars Made Simple." (This however does not mean that these settings are most pleasing to the eye.) My bright is set at about +17 while the contrast is at about -5. These settings provide the smoothest gradation changes in the ends of the 29 bars.

Also I have a 47A and believe it or not, I find the picture better to use the dvd in component mode, interlaced, and let the projector de-interlace it. There is no readily notable difference in brightness. My wires are Beldin 1505A wit hgold connectors and runs are 50 feet direct out of the dvd. Screen is a 78" 4:3 diag Firehawk.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I did use your "29 Bars Made Simple" post. Thanks very much for posting that on the forum. It is probably the most informative post on tuning the Hitachi 5500. Over the next few nights I'll try to isolate why I see such a large difference in brightness and purple push between interlaced and non-interlaced. It is interesting that you do not see any difference.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
william

did you see the problem before making any adjustments in the service menu?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.