AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen the Hitachi 5500 on a Dalite Cinemavision High Contrast screen ? I had ordered the regular Cinemavision screen (1.3 gain) but they sent me the high contrast version (1.1 gain, 133", 16:9) by mistake. I have the small samples that Dalite sent me, but they are not large enough to determine the difference.

I might keep it to get the blacks a bit darker, but I was just wondering, before I open up the box and installed it.

Vas

·
Registered
82 Posts
Vas

I have a Sony 11 HT and I'm using the Dalite High Contrast Cinema vision screen. The pictures are awsome IMHO. I think you will like it!

Das

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Das

How big is your screen, and how bright is the Sony 11 HT. My Hitachi is 1500 lumens

Vas

·
Registered
822 Posts
That's kinda a big screen. However, IMO 1500 lumens is ideal for the Dalite HCCV.

I use the HCCV - 105" 2.35:1 - with a 1000 lumen DILA and it is fine. so the Hitachi should be OK with it.

Andrew.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Andrew

Since the 5500 is a 4:3 projector and I will view mostly HD (16:9) or wide screen DVDs , the remaining area is unused, so that will bring the lumens down to around 1120.

Vas

·
Registered
82 Posts
Das

How big is your screen, and how bright is the Sony 11 HT. My Hitachi is 1500 lumens

Vas

52"x 92" (106") the 11ht can be 1000 or 700 lumens.700 lumens is normally what I run it at. More than enough with this screen. IMO Picture is bright and blacks look good. you will not be sorry !

Das

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Das, Andrew

I tried out the small 6"x6" samples of of Dalite HCCV and normal CV last night, and the HC looked fine, though whites had a very very slight light blue tint compared to the non-HC CV screen, but that might be because I was comparing the two samples side by side - I might not notice it on the big screen. The blacks were definitely darker.

I have taken your advice and will go with thw HC screen. Thanks for the input.

Vas

·
Registered
86 Posts
Vas

I've got 2 foot by 2 foot samples of both the da-mat high contrast and the cinema vision high contrast. The da-mat gives better blacks but darkens all colors.

The high contrast cinema vision looks crisper and gives brighter colors and somewhat better blacks compared to the blackout cloth screen I'm currently using. The only problem I see is that black objects or dark shadows sometimes (not always) have a blue or even purple tint. Now, this might just be the way my 5500 is adjusted.

I would contact Dalite and ask them if you could try this screen. If you are happy, keep the screen. If you are not happy, Dalite should take it back and send you what you ordered originally.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Leif

I agree the HC Da-Mat (0.8 gain) is just too dark, and I would have returned that right away if thats what they sent. But the HCCV seems like a screen I could live with.

A filter might fix the purple/blue tint on the blacks, as posted elsewhere in this forum. Do you see this on your regular screen too?

These screens (tensioned electric) seem to be a pain to put up, so unless I really hate the HCCV, I will probably just stay with it.

Vas

·
Registered
86 Posts
Vas

On my blackout cloth screen I see a blue tint in some dark scenes, but not to the extent that I see it on the high contrast cinema vision. The purple in dark shadows that I sometimes see on the cinema vision doesn't show up on my blackout cloth. Other than that, the HC cinema vision shows a nice picture.

Good luck with your installation!

Leif

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dalite HCCV Screen was installed yesterday and it looks great. Thank you all for your input!!

Vas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.