AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There has been a lot of interest in the Prismasonic anamorphic lens. as i was tired of playing with filters I thought I would give one a try. Distortion at bottom of screen between center and edge is about 1inch. The unit is pretty easy to set up took about 5 minutes. Once I spend time to make sure everything is square to the screen etc I expect it will be a little better

It does a great job of eliminating light spill for a 16 x 9 setup and gives a perceived increase in CR. The photo was taken without a tripod. I will take some better photos when I'm finished tweaking.

For $500 this is a good deal

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
a few more

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
one more

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It should be noted that this model uses hor stretch they are working on a vert compresion model

http://www.prismasonic.com/

about $500 with shiping

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to make some adjustment as I was using the hitachi in 16 x 9 mode with a 16 x 9 screen. when I went to 4x3 i had to move my projector about 10 inches forward and adjust the drop on the screen for projecting a 4x3 image. Once the 4x3 image was centered on the 16 x 9 screen all I did was place the lens in front of the projector and the image was stretched to 16 x 9 height stayed the same. I did have to refocus

·
Registered
792 Posts
WHAT,if you have limited forward movement, cant you use the zoom?, also what would happen if you placed this in front of a 16/9 native pj, would it give you 2.35, with no bars?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I believe so. It is also adjustable you can change the stretch.

The web site has a message board I think you will find a lot of answers there

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it is called pincushion distortion. instead of the bottom of the screen being square it has a slight arc effect about 1 inch from the left and right compared to the center on the bottom of the screen top of screen is fine

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Which is better (not cheaper) a Hitachi 5500 or JVC DILA (G-15)?

I assume the Hitachi has a 4:3 panel?

Jeff

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have never seen a JVC DILA so can not comment

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Jeff ("thebland"),

I have both a D-ILA and the Hitachi 5500. They are both great projectors, and both have their positives and negatives.

They also share a lot of their positives...a very smooth image with no visible pixel grid, a persistent, three-color image with no rainbows and knock-you-on-your feet brightness that gives the image some real punch.

...Especially the Hitachi. Man, it's a bright projector.

The D-ILA uses a Xenon lamp, which is both it's blessing and curse. It allows the D-ILA to create some pretty intense colors, but it also puts out as much heat as it does light (it's fairly inefficient) so it needs some fan power to keep it cool. It also doesn't last as long.

The Hitachi's bulb last longer, is actually brighter and the projector is quieter, but it can't create the colors way out on the edges of the color gamut. That's not to say that it doesn't have great colors, because it certainly does! Plus, you really only get those extremely deeply saturated colors on animated material, so the differences are not always significant in film-based materal.

The D-ILA is somewhat more "tweakable", but that makes the Hitachi somewhat more "plug-and-play". I suppose you have to choose your own positive/negative on that point.

They both have 4:3 panels, but neither one has a problem on my 16:9 Grayhawk. Quality control is not perfect on either one.

I hope that helps!

·
Registered
821 Posts
I believe it's fair to warn any prospective Hitachi 5500 buyer about the biggie: Purple blacks. Or more specifically, purple anything. Just do a search for 5500 and purple. That number and that word tend to be synonymous.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Mark

and I thought i was the only one having problems sleeping

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
tycoondog2, you're the first brave one to try Prismasonic and post a decent review. Sounds very promising. Hopefully, this will drive down prices of anamorphic lenses in general. $500 is a lot easier to swallow than $1000 or $2500 (Panamorph MSRP).

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Huey

The unit is so simple a construction, Im thinking of taken it apart to work on a vertical compresion model.

·
Registered
727 Posts
tycoondog2,

Can you please post few pictures of the Prismasonic mounting on your projector.

Also, does this unit have some sort of sliding mechanism when you want to use the projector in the native mode.

Thanks.

·
Registered
327 Posts
tycoondog,

Seems an interesting alternative to the ISCO and Panamorph. Looking at Prismasonic's message board, it seems there are no claims for extra brightness. The lens absorbs it all whereas the Panamorph still gives about 20% extra brightness (at a far greater cost of course).

Are you using a CC40G filter as well as the Primasonic? That's a lot of glass between the projector lens and screen.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
baryz

The image looks a lot better in my case as I was running 16 x 9 so I now have all those extra pixels, I have removed the filter at this time, now that I have no light spill the purple is not as noticeable also no filter makes for a brighter image as well. Worth the $500 it costs

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.