AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very nice, top of the line (4 years old, paid $4,000.00 for it) Hitachi Director Series 55 inch plasma. I love this TV

3 weeks ago the picture went out, but the sound is fine. Paid a repair man to tell me the logic board had gone out and it would cost between $400.00 - $500.00 for parts and with labor you are looking at $900.00. Found out later that the part is about $400.00 and labor is included. Now the question

The repair person said when the logic board goes out the next thing is the power supply, said he sees this all the time on plasmas. Also, there is no way to tell it's just the logic board, he can replace it but he may still have to replace another component to get it working. Also, if it is fixed now, more than likely in 6 months something else will go out. He said they don't build these to last more than 4-5 years these days.

Based on this we went out and dropped some cash ($2,300.00) for a Sharp LC-60LE835U LED flat panel. Figured its better to spend the money on a new TV.

But now that we found out the cost to repair the Plasma may be as low as $400.00 I am wondering if I take the Sharp back and spend the $400.00 to maybe get the plasma working again. I would save about $1,900.00 bucks if this works. But at the same time, if I am dumping money into a plasma that will break again then its not worth it.

Any feedback or comments on this would be great, trying to figure out what direction to head here.

Thank you

·
Registered
218 Posts
It is a gamble. You could replace the logic and never have another problem for years to come. Or you could replace it and start playing a cat-and-mouse game. It is completely up to you what to do.

I'm not sure what makes the tech think that the power supply is going to go out next. I personally haven't seen that, but I haven't been doing repair as long as he probably has (or as long as some of the others on this forum).

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi:

I know this is an older thread, but I am experiencing exactly the same issue right now. Like you, I love this TV and would like to explore the possibility of repair.

If you are still monitoring this thread, can you let me know what you decided to do? If you went the repair route, how did that work out?

Thanks,

Moe

·
Registered
622 Posts
I think Tom669 is correct. Technician diagnosed failure in two boards (both "SRD" or similar?), ordered them in from the US and replaced them within the week. All is running fine again. Of course, I would rather not have had to pay to repair it, but it was still considerably cheaper than buying new, and I still love the TV.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.