AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I am in the market to get a LCD HDTV 32" or higher for around $700, but also have the opportunity to get a 57" Hitachi Projection TV. Model number HIT57F710. We expect to use the TV primarily for Playstation 3 gaming and watching sports/movies. This TV is a 1080i/720p, and the LCD TVs I was looking at were 1080p. I am aware of the 1080i vs. 1080p difference -- how will this affect our Playstation 3 gaming?

While a few years old, the Hitachi Projection TV is still under warranty until late in 2010. What is everyone's opinion on what we should do? Get the older but much larger Projection TV or get a new 37" LCD HDTV?

Thanks for all input!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I would get the 37" since you will never want to upgrade it. Also, lcd picture looks great on gaming consoles. Add a bluray player and youre set for quite some time.

I would only buy the older unit if the price was great and size was a concern.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the price of the 57" Hitachi is $500 and includes a small surround sound setup. The LCD I am looking at is a 37" Sharp Aquos 1080p for about $700. What do you think?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I like the 57" part but I don't like the rear projection because you lose your picture when you view from an angle. Have you ever thought about an HD projector? I don't mean to sway your decision... just a thought. You can get one for $600 total. And you can make it as big or small as you want. (kinda)

otherwise, I'd go for the 37"

·
Registered
272 Posts
My family has a 65" Hitachi RPTV in the family room and it is a great TV. Angle viewing isn't a problem at all, it's only slightly darker than looking straight at the TV. I'd choose the 57" if you have the room over the LCD.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have a 57" Hitachi from the previous year 57F600. It's been a great set... If I were buying one used I would ask to see the set demonstrated and I would look for signs of burn-in (google: screen burn in as these type of televisions can be effected by that problem. Other than that, Rear projection TVs have to have convergence corrected every once in a while. Hitachi made this easy on their late model RPTVs with a "Magic Focus" button which I know this set has.

The model you're looking at has HDMI port so you should be all set for digital imput from your PS3, Blu-Ray, HD DVR, etc.... I have a PS2, Nintendo Wii and XBox 360 hooked up to my set right now and games look great on it, but the performance of LCD displays will be better.

Bottom line:

As long at the rear projection set is in good working condition with no burn-in damage, I would consider $500 a good deal for it. I see people listing similar sets for $600-$700 locally on Craigslist, etc.... Even though everyone is into the slim and sexy LCD technology there are quite a few who believe triple gun CRT still delivers the best picture quality. These sets cost ~$2000 new a few years ago and they do 1080i HD beautifully

·
Registered
12,980 Posts
I use a Hitachi 57" CRT RPTV, the one with HDMI and it's great. It compares to digital displays in high brightness but it kills them in black level and detail in black. For sheer size difference over the small screens mentioned you should grab the Hitachi.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Neither DLP or LCD can touch a well calibrated CRT RPTV in terms of overall picture quality. (I own a Mitsubishi HC3000 projector BTW). Viewing angle is a non-issue, so if you have the room get the Hitachi.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Since this is a projector forum, I would recommend you spend the $700 on a Sharp DT-510 and go bigger than 57". Way bigger.

·
Registered
12,980 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reconlabtech /forum/post/15445317

Since this is a projector forum, I would recommend you spend the $700 on a Sharp DT-510 and go bigger than 57". Way bigger.

lol that's a hard way to go and a big change in style from the conservative home theater approach. But by all means look into the super view HT that we all love in the projector forums. "we measure our sceens in feet not inches.

Welcome to the projecor forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.