AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After extensive research and with much help from you folks, I'm going to be purchasing the 57S500. My question is regarding the bottom half of the cabinet. This is probably a stupid question, but can one of you S500 owners tell me if it's absolutely necessary to use the bottom section of the cabinet. In other words, if I were to have a built-in cabinet in the wall that supported the top cabinet, is there anything that's connected to the bottom preventing one from doing this?

I realize that the chance of this is slim, otherwise I'd have probably read about it by now. I'm in the planning/drawing stages of this built-in cabinet and the thought crossed my mind that maybe I could just build the top section of the TV into my cabinet to make it look more "built-in".

Jay

P.S. I'm guessing the bottom half has the CRT's or something really important in it. :eek:

·
Registered
187 Posts
:D Well I guess that's a fair enough question if you've never owned a CRT RPTV. YES you need both pieces. The CRTs, all the electronics and most of the weight is in the bottom of the cabinet.

I just had mine delivered now, and they had to split it to get it to the 2nd floor apt I live in.

The 57S500 cannot be used as a tabletop TV. FYI, the top piece is larger, but much lighter (99 lbs) The other 165 lbs is in the bottom part.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was about 99% sure that was the case, but can't hurt to ask. You actually answered another question and that was the weight distribution between the two.

Jay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello, I just received the 65S500 this week but the store I bought it from (theBrick, don't buy from them!) refused to split the tv and bring it in the basement for me without me paying them an extra 300$. So the set is now sitting in my kitchen and is taking up way too much room. I will split and carry the tv this weekend with the help of some friends in order to save on that ridiculous cost that the store wants me to pay. My question is this, is it hard to split the tv? Even if you didn't do it yourself did it look like it was a big deal? I have looked the instructions and it doesn't look to be that hard but if you have any warning or advice it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
bumping this one up. I need to upsize this weekend 57s500 or Mits. The decision is so close and difficult that this issue might help me decide. I have to bring the set to the 2nd floor, and we should be done constructing my new home by Xmas, so another move of the set will ensue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Deadcode,

I am interested in finding out how you make out with this project. I am considering a 65 as well, not sure I want the CC guys to split it or do it myself.

There is a thead in this area about splitting the 57". The only potential complication is that there were some reports of errant glue inside the cabinet that bonded the top and bottom together. I think someone mentioned that they did some minor damage to the cabinet because they forced it. Be careful when you go to separate them!

It is a sweet set. Best of luck.

Remember: Bend with your knees!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Also, assuming there is no problem with separating and reattaching the 2 sections, particle boards stay intact, no stripped bolts,etc. How would this affect the picture? I would always manually converge any set that I moved, but wouldn't just the slightest of misalignment really give you a problem with the picture?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys,

I split and moved into the basement my 65S500 this past weekend and it was quite easy to do. There was no glue holding the two sections together, you just had to undo some screws disconnect a ribbon cable and that was pretty much it. Just make sure you do the job with two people, and that you can handle the weight (screen portion is like 130lbs and the bottom is like 200lbs).

Man this tv is awesome once it's set up properly.

BTW: People, don't listen to others on forums like these when they tell you that you need 25ft of distance for a 65" screen. I have 10' of distance with my screen and it looks amazing with movies and video games. Regular tv is not as good but if you have a satellite signal, it's very watchable. This of course is my opinion but I'd say if you go to the movies and like to sit in the back then yes you'd probably want 25' of distance but if you like to sit in the middle of the theater and enjoy being immersed in the film this distance ratio formula that you read about in these forum do not apply.

Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking at the 65S500 and sounds like my 13 ft will be OK. I sit in the middle of theaters. What did you do to set up your TV? AVIA? Any greyscale playing? Convergence from service menu? any help will help prepare me for the big day? Do you have HD or just satellite?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello fellow canuk,

I used the AVIA disk to setup the picture but I only completed the basic video adjustments. I found the convergence to be pretty good with the magic focus when I went into manual mode, so I didn't make any changes. I may do the convergence one day when I'm bored but looking at a grid for an hour is not appealing to me since it all starts to look the same after staring at it for 10 mins. I did not try to adjust grayscale I may try to get the technician to do it under the extended warantee, since I read that you need specific tools to set it properly. I am using bell express vue but I don't have the hd receiver yet, I think they still want like 800$ bucks for the hd receiver and at this point I would feel like a chump paying that when it should come down in price as demand grows.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sounds like not to much is potentially need to get the system acceptable. I have the S&V version but sounds like the AVIA maybe the one to get in addition.

A rare find to have another Canuck on the site with the same TV that I'm looking to get. Does the technician from the store you purchased from do greyscale?

Send me a PM message on where you got the unit, cost and did you get the extended warranty. Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.