AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went and reviewed these two sets at a local Circuit City. The picture was comparable between the two. However, I am inexperienced at adjusting the settings so I'm sure they weren't oprimized. Whichever set I end with I will have calibrated.

Given the somewhat equal observed picture, I leaning towards the Sony as I don't see the any large benfits with the Hitachi and it is more expensive.

Am I missing anything? Is the Hitachi a better unit for the higher price?

-Matt

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Be wary of in store measurements. Even if you adjust user settings. Unless you open up box and focus it ect when no one is looking and consider that a user adjustment... ;-)

I have currently have Sony WS550, had WS510, Hitachi not an option for me at this time. I am very happy with WS550, slightly better than WS510.

However, you may still want Hitachi. While Sony may have looked better in store, there is opinion here, that after calibration, the Hitachi will look better. I do not know personally. Much spin on opinions. :)

sorry to not be more definitive.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Forget the tuner, does not currently have aspect ratio control. Very bad for the very bad stations that up-convert 4:3 content all day. Well almost forget the tuner, long term probably OK when stations actually start broadcasting more HDTV content, not just stick a 4:3 picture in the middle of a 16:9 picture.

Here's the good things I had NO idea were there:

Better control of reflections, seemingly higher contrast, better PQ. I did know about DTV_Link/ IEEE1394 inputs. Some of the graininess of 510 seems to be tamed, but really haven't dove into it yet. Just running in PRO mode until I get time to have some fun.

I, like you, thought only real diff was tuner. Sony doesn't really say set is new, but it really has a whole new chassis. Their web site is woefully lacking in detail, compared to other manufacturers. I only traded to make wife happy, just for new anti-reflective screen.

At time of trade in, I didn't know new screen was coming from any info from Sony consumer web site. A very nice sales dude, with access to Sony's B2B web site, clued me in to new anti-reflective screen. Was very pleasantly surprised with other new items..

If salesman had not given me info, honestly would not still be with Sony. And set is even better than he knew. Why companies limit info is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
1,649 Posts
Sorry, didn't answer your question.

I originally said, in other posts, I didn't think it was worth the extra bucks. Maybe I'm getting opinionated now that it's mine, but I think I'm much happier with it than I was with the WS510.

Oh yes, it up converts 720p to 1080i instead of down converting it to 480p. Does it pretty well too.

Yes, I think its worth it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.