AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to follow up on my switch from the 65xwx to the 57swx when I remarked that while I noticed the loss of size, it is so much crisper and brilliant, and it is still the latter, and more so every day.

On the issue of being so much smaller then the 30 percent larger SWX, as was a suspicion, it was an issue of just having the larger set in my house just prior and not only does the 57 seem bigger every day, but today I reached a point of critical mass, where I can't believe that I ever fit a 65 inch set from my 12 foot vantage point. It now looks as if the 57 is pushing the envelope, and is certainly large enough for any 12-foot room. For anybody sitting around that range, and worrying about regretting not going for the larger set, as someone who actually went from one to another last week, I don't think you will ever think that initially, but since actually having both should make it more of an issue, I see no way you could feel that way, if you never had the larger set in your room first.

16 days till Dee-Day, and I can't wait to get this puppy calibrated. I am up to 80 hours of burn time and it appears I will be almost 250 by the time that the expert comes for the surgery.

It is a great time to be in the market for a HDTV in the RPTV form, and CC is still running the wholesale beater price on 2 versions of the XWX for any stragglers that have allowed price to be their last obstacle. Another good thing this does is if any of you thinking that was it, don't move on that price, then you now know that price isn't why you are really waiting to buy, which is kinda nice, that you have that goin for ya, when you die.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by gambrelw
Who is calibrating your TV? Hope things work out for you.

Bill
I am using Cheezmo and I am really looking forward to it. He seems very knowledgeable and to really do it for the personal satisfaction of his successes. It looks great right out of the box which was no the case with the larger model, and I haven't even adjusted the front panel, because I am just going to let him do it all, just to make my wife see the night and day difference.

If you are looking for yourself or just have a little interest in the subject, you may enjoy his site at www.smartcalibration.com, and read some of the articles from his clients. He apparently was one of , if not the first to use some special gear to attack the Mitsubishi red push and there are several writeups from his Northern tour, but he does all types of sets.

Thanks for the wishes of success and I will follow up right after it is done.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Addicted,

I ran to CC last week and picked up my 57swx20b for about $150 less than they had it on sale for last week ($2519). Thought I got a great deal. I could have had the XWX there in OKC for about $250 off of the $3149 sale price and I chickened out. Now this week, the SWX is still same "sale" price, but the XWX jumped to $4069!!! Is this the price everyone else has seen also? I went back to the guy I bought the SWX from and he said he couldn't do the deal from last week because this is a corporate price and he would be fired for going so low from the new price. Dang! I wish I had not been such a chicken. The salesman told me to come back next week and maybe the price would be back to the $3149 again? Crazy!

Soonerfann

·
Registered
748 Posts
Any trace of the pastel issues you had on the 65?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My problem with teh 65 related to an overall haze in HD

This one seems a little less tightly focused then my prior one out of the box on analog, but since I am about to have it calibrated, I didn't want to take the time to do AVIA, and just felt I would wait till I get it done in a few weeks.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by soonerfann
Addicted,

I ran to CC last week and picked up my 57swx20b for about $150 less than they had it on sale for last week ($2519). Thought I got a great deal. I could have had the XWX there in OKC for about $250 off of the $3149 sale price and I chickened out. Now this week, the SWX is still same "sale" price, but the XWX jumped to $4069!!! Is this the price everyone else has seen also? I went back to the guy I bought the SWX from and he said he couldn't do the deal from last week because this is a corporate price and he would be fired for going so low from the new price. Dang! I wish I had not been such a chicken. The salesman told me to come back next week and maybe the price would be back to the $3149 again? Crazy!

Soonerfann
This makes no sense, because they claim to be running the special till the end of the month, and several people have told me that in their market, so you should be able to force the issue where you live, and I just called in my market in Houston at 713 627 2500 and the 57 is still on sale here for $ 3499, but then he says if I come in I can get even a better deal then that, meaning probably the 3350 I am hearing from some people. That alone shows you that your store is not working on company policy but making up their own. I hope that helps, and you should be able to get it done now. Sorry about your problem though.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well,

I am going to swing by tomorrow morning and see what the sticker is on the 57XWX. I can't believe they had it for $3149 last week! It has gone up $900 in one week! Addicted, how much more would you pay for the XWX over my SWX. Are there some differences I'm missing besides: Tuner, Darker screen, Firewire, Black cabinet?

Thanks!

Soonerfann

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Well,

I am going to swing by tomorrow morning and see what the sticker is on the 57XWX. I can't believe they had it for $3149 last week! It has gone up $900 in one week! Addicted, how much more would you pay for the XWX over my SWX. Are there some differences I'm missing besides: Tuner, Darker screen, Firewire, Black cabinet?

Thanks!

Soonerfann
If you can get the XWX for 700 more I would do it, and at that point it becomes close.

Firewire won't matter for being left out with the DVI or copyright deal, but it will be nice for making it compatible with more future sources, or more brand choices till it is all worked out or a standard.

I do miss the darker screen and it is much more significant then it appeared , and I also realized after I bought it which I didn't think before that having the whole exterior black doesn't draw attention away from the picture and the lighter cabinet does

The decoder really just allows is to have more ease at dual HD side by side for sports

I do like having the software upgrade port, which almost no other set has.

It sounds like you are getting it for around 650 more, and when I looked at it , there was more then a 1000 delta. If I had to buy it at retail at your pricing, then I would get the XWX.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Thanks! If it goes back to that price again, I'm going to snatch it up!

SF
If you have bought the swx and are on the 30 day return window, I wouldn't wait for that miracle, as it was December last time they did that, and if other stores are still running it till the end of the month, then you should be able to get it at your store also.

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you said you had bought the swx and were trying to swap out, thus the 30 day return policy, but maybe I missed that.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Steve Martin (Cheesmo) is a great calibrator and a terrific guy. You could not be in better hands.

Savor the experience, and for God's (and all of ours') sake, don't touch a damn thing when he leaves. IT WILL BE PERFECT!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I did buy the SWX. I visited my local Dallas area CC this am and found the 57XWX at $3299. It is $3499 here in OKC like I said! I plan on going to the OKC CC tomorrow and see what the deal is and try to get something done. I'll keep everyone posted.

SF

·
Registered
110 Posts
I went back to my friendly CC and found they had lowered the XWX to $3299 like the rest of America. Tulsa and Ft. Smith were also offering this price. Anyway, I went in with the mind set that I was not going to pay the sale price and so the manager asked me what I wanted to pay. I told him $300 less than that and he said ok, plus I got a free Casio handheld tv out of the deal for purchasing a proj. television! I'm happy. I take delivery here in a couple of weeks. HDTV here I come!

SF

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.