Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm considering buying a new rptv and I have the opportunity to buy last years 57xwx20b NIB for $500 less than what I can buy a 57x500 NIB. I can buy the 57x500 for about $300 less than I bought my 53sxw10b 2 years ago. Is anyone up to speed on the differences between the models and or have opinions pro or con.

BTW this is a great fourm

Thanks to all

·
Registered
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by luckyflyer
Hello,

I'm considering buying a new rptv and I have the opportunity to buy last years 57xwx20b NIB for $500 less than what I can buy a 57x500 NIB. I can buy the 57x500 for about $300 less than I bought my 53sxw10b 2 years ago. Is anyone up to speed on the differences between the models and or have opinions pro or con.

BTW this is a great fourm

Thanks to all
From my research, the 57X500 is the top RP HD set from Hitachi for this year. The X500 series of this year do not have the built in tuner and firewire of last years xwx sets. Other differences between the sets include :

1. Last years 57xwx20B had the Hybrid Wide neck CRTs. This Year 57X500 has the Hybrid Wide Neck 2 CRTs which is supposed to be improved

2. Last years stretch modes for 4:3 programming was adequate. This years stretch modes are pretty good.

3. Last years sets were somewhat tweakable. This years sets are one of the most tweakable sets built.

I have not been able to do a side by side comparison because the X500 sets are hard to find in my area. I was finally able to see one but had to drive a few hours. The X500 set has one of the best pictures that I have seen on a CRT based RPTV this year on HD signals. Although, last years xwx set also had a great picture on HD signals. On SD signals the X500 does a better job than last years sets ( IMHO) and the stretch modes are better as well.

JW

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'd be a little suspicious at the xwx being nib. If thats the case its certainly been warehoused for a while. Regardless I'd get the x500 since the tuner/firewire doesnt matter to me but the improved stretch/scaler and software improvements like day/night mode, user decoder access and discreet per input picture settings are BIG improvements over the xwx software. Can't recall if the xwx had dual dvi ins...I know the x500 does. Anyway, for me those things combined with the latest gun/lens make it worth the difference for me. Of course at that price point I might start looking at dlp as well ...maybe this summer when samsung 1080p sets arrive.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.