AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently given this set by a coworker. Its manufacture date is 12/01. It had convergence failure and intermittent audio problems. This is my first experience with crt rptv.

I have repaired the convergence problem with 2-IC's and a few resistors. After performing a complete digital convergence alignment, greyscale and color decoder adjustments, the set looks great. I have pdf copies of the user's manual and service manual. Does anyone have a pdf copy of the appropriate digital convergence pocket manual? I have the 2000 version but I believe my set is covered in the 2003 version. It is available on ebay for about $12, but thought I would ask here, first.

The audio issue presents itself after power-up. Regardless of input, the audio drops out after a few minutes. Cycling power a number of times usually resolves the issue and the audio is functional for the rest of the session. I have searched here and other forums and found very little information on the problem. A post in another forum indicates that there is a Hitachi service bulletin covering this issue. I am capable of implementing any repairs recommended by the bulletin but have no way of obtaining it. Can anyone help me in this area?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just thought I would update this with my resolution for the audio issue.

Based upon a tech tip from a tv repair website, I resoldered a pair of surface mount ICs, IT05 and IT06 (under the shield) on the surround board. In the process, I cleaned the boards and reseated all of the connectors in the audio section.

Which one of the actions actually resolved the problem, I don't know. But, the set now performs very well. The video is fantastic. CRTs, even five year olds, can still stand up to anything out there.

I don't know how to break the news to my coworker that the set is working like new and it didn't cost the $800 that he had been quoted for repair. I have about $50 in it and maybe 4 hours of labor. The good news is that he had already replaced it and just wanted it moved out of the garage and never wanted to see it again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am also having the same problem and wanted to verify which board it was so I can do the same repairs. Is it the board that has the internal speaker wires running to it ,which is also the video/audio input/output board, or is it the board all the way to the right mounted vertically or horizontally?? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.