AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I already did some searching on this, and haven't come up with anybody else having this problem, so thought I would post it.

I was watching Star Wars II the other night on my 65SWX20B using a Panny RP-56 DVD player running in progressive, connected through component cables. On very dark scenes, I noticed a flickering of the top black letterbox bar. I paused it at one point and the flickering continued. I then played around with the Star Wars II disc and it's extra's DVD, as well as Ice Age this evening, and it seems that in all black or near black scenes this flicker occurs. It's very noticeable at the beginning of discs before the FBI warning comes on, or after the warnings and before the DVD menu when the screen is completely black. On all black screens, it flickers the whole screen. On scenes with letterboxes, it only flickers the letterbox bars, with the top really only noticeable...you have to look for the bottom.

When I say flicker, what I mean is it is like there is some signal going to the TV's guns and they are flickering some light to the screen. It's always a white light, no other colors mixed in. This only happens on DVD's. If I am watching TV, or just switching inputs without the DVD player on, it is fine, no flicker.

I only noticed it really with Star Wars II and Ice Age...I haven't had a chance to test any others out really. The only thing the same between those two DVD's are that they are FOX DVD's. I have checked the component cables and they are connected fine. I am going to try some other DVD's in the next few days. I also have an old Sony DVD player I can hook up and see if it does it. Last thing I figured trying was new component cables. However, I figured I would post the issue and see if anybody has noticed the same thing with their Hitachi SWX20B's, and if they did anything to fix it?

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's between a month and two months old, definitely too old to have it replaced. This TV is already a repair replacement for an RCA that I had.

I bought it at CC, and have the extended warranty.

Andrew

·
Registered
366 Posts
Why are you seeing black bars with Ice Age? Ice Age WS version of the film should fill the screen fully.

Star Wars should have the black bars as it is 2.35:1.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't see black bars in Ice Age, it also occurs when the screen is completely black. Like I said in the original post, this occurs just before the FBI warning screen (on both Ice Age and Star Wars) and just before going to the main DVD menu when the screen is completely black. I only initially noticed on Star Wars because of the black bars.

I'm definitely going to try a few other DVD's from other companies this weekend and see if it is only a Fox phenomenon. I haven't seen this happening before, but most of my recent movies have been 1.85:1, and I usually don't pay attention to the screen when all the beginning stuff is going on.

Andrew

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to continue this discussion, I was playing around with the TV this evening to see exactly where this flashing occurs. It definitely occurs when watching the DVD player, even without any disc in the player. On a Panny, it shows a screen with the big DVD logo when no disc is inserted. I could see the flashing at the top of the screen this evening, so it definitely is not disc related.

I then was watching cable on the TV. I turned to one of the music channels because on my cable system nothing is displayed. This time on a completely black screen on cable, the TV definitely did the flashing. On cable it was not as severe, so you had to look harder.

My wife has seen the flashing, and she very rarely sees any of the "defects" that I do. I watch movies in complete darkness, and I can only see the flashing when it's completely dark.

Since nobody else seems to have ever had anything like this happen, guess I will be calling the service tech tomorrow. Glad I got the extended warranty again.

Andrew

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
I would call CC and ask to speak the the store MGR.

WHen your on the phone tell him the problem and tell him nicely that your disapointed that your having this problem on a set this new....

ask him what he can do for you...

I'll bet he'll swap it for a brand new one....

You can even ask him too do it.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.