AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Hitachi 65TWX in Seattle and the picture is great on HDTV. I hooked up my Dish receiver model 6000 and SAT channels are O.K. I have a question may be you can help. The regular SAT channels come in 4:3 format with bars on both side. I tried to use the stretch mode by pressing the " aspect " button on the remote but It shows only 16:9 regular and 16:9 zoom. I know the TV have 5 aspect modes but I could not get it to work. Please help. Thank you.

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'm not sure about this, but does your Dish STB upconvert prior to sending the image to the TV? I know that what you are describing happens in my XWX on OTA digital stations that come in already upconverted from the source (in my case the broadcaster, in your case the STB). Perhaps your STB has it's own strech modes you can use?

See if outputting s-video or composite to the tv (480i) allows you to use all of the aspect modes...I suspect it will.

Rich

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, My Dish 6000 has its own 4:3 mode but it does not look good. When the TV first delivered, I remembered some how It was on the stretch mode ( no blacked bars on the side) then I do not know how I changed to 4:3 mode. Now, I can not get back to strech mode anymore. Does any else has this problem? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Push the * button on the 6000 to toggle between stretch/zoom modes. Also, make sure the blue light is on indicating you are actually in HD mode.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, the blue light is on indicating HD mode. I will try to press the * button on the 6000 tonight. However, I want to use the strech mode on the TV (look better) not the 6000 receiver. THANKS

·
Registered
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by danvo
Yes, the blue light is on indicating HD mode. I will try to press the * button on the 6000 tonight. However, I want to use the strech mode on the TV (look better) not the 6000 receiver. THANKS
Let me state more clearly what I was trying to say in my first response (and I *think* it is correct):

You can NOT use the TV's 4:3 stretch modes on already up-converted material (i.e. >480i).

Someone will likely correct me if I have this wrong.

::EDIT:: I'm just adding a :) for good measure as I just re-read my response and it comes across as a little curt...I assure you that was not my intention :) good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.