AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

As some of you may have already heard Hitachi will be discontinuing the SWX and TWX models. Both great lines. As a matter a fact I would be considering a 57" SWX in the future if it weren't being discontinued. My question is...with what models/technologies are they doing to use to fill the gap? Will Hiatchi combine the tech found in both the SWX and TWX models?

Any one with some news? :) Please fill us in!!

Thanks!

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

New stuff right now is the F500 units. I had a good look at one last night in the store and will try some other tests tonight. Pasty colors ... solarizing effect was seen here too on the DVD ... but strangely not as obvious on the HD signal feed via component video. I will be taking a closer look at it tonight and trying many more DVD players out on it.

Regards

· Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Michael TLV
Greetings

New stuff right now is the F500 units. I had a good look at one last night in the store and will try some other tests tonight. Pasty colors ... solarizing effect was seen here too on the DVD ... but strangely not as obvious on the HD signal feed via component video. I will be taking a closer look at it tonight and trying many more DVD players out on it.

Regards
I'll be curious what you think about this new model.

ALSO--------***********

The SWX is not discountinued. !!!

Why do I keep reading this?

The F500 is a lower model than the SWX and the F500 replaced the UWX.

The UWX is discountinued and the F500 is new model

The SWX is a better tv, a higher model.... and not discontinued.

· Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Michael,

Yeah I knew about the new models but I doubt those are the replacements for the SWX/TWX models. And no I haven't seen them in the shops yet. Not that I've looked.

You said the F-series' colors looks "pasty"? That there was a "solarizing affect on the dvd"? Can you expand on that? :)

In any event, I thought the SWX models looked awesome! Even uncalibrated at the neighborhood Future Shop. Now to see one professionally tuned by an ISF techie....

Are you familiar with the Pioneer Elite x20 and x30 models? What are your experiences with either/both? The only difference I noticed upon quickly glancing over the specs was that the x30 models have DVI support. Is there anything else that accounts for their 1k price increase?

Also, I sent you a few ICQ messages. Do you know check them any more? :) Was wondering how one would contact you to book a time/day for you to service our rptv on your "tours"....

Feel free to contact me any time! :)

Regards.

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Check your PM ...

The Pioneer 30 series have 1080i upconversion capability now and have a more friendly service menu allowing things to be done faster and easier.

Nice sets ... but over priced in my mind. Previous generations had a mild reputation for grayscale instability ... after a proper calibration.

ICQ in the evenings is best ... but you'd better introduce yourself as someone beyond a random chat person. :)

REgards

· Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello Michael,

I just Re to your e-mail that you sent to my e-mail address. Thanks again for the information! :)

And I'll keep it in mind that you only ICQ in the evenings. Now you know my real name. PLEASE keep it between you and me and OFF this forum. Just a friendly reminder. :)

Have a great week!!

As for the Pioneer Elite 30 series I too find them very over priced!! I was just curious about your opinion and experiences. I'm assuming you've fixed and tuned many Elites in your time.

I'm more inclined to buy the replacement for the Hitachi SWX/TWX series. When ever that is. Or the Sony WV700 series (silver exterior) models. Third choice being one of the Toshiba HDX series.

Later!

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Well, not quite the final word, but I sat camped out in front of the 51F500 unit in the store last night running test pattern after test pattern and plugging on the current spat of recommended service menu changes and it really cleaned up the image remarkably well from where it started.

The pasty/solarized look was actually minimized significantly and the ghosting was almost completely if not completely mitigated. I was fairly happy with the image by the end.

Problem is ... the Hitachi set OOTB looked nothing like the finished product and makes one wonder what was going through their marketing heads that the OOTB image was a good one.

Pasty/solarized look = good

Ghosting = good ...

I'm pretty happy with it now so the set gets elevated from my recomendation basement back to the main floor. But man this thing need work to make it shine. Grrrrrrrrr

Regards

· Registered
9,481 Posts
Michael,

How did you fix the ghosting. I have a 57SWX20B that shows the ghosting and would like to fix it through the ISF menu. I have already had my sets grayscale done in January, but it didn't start exhibiting the ghosting until the last 30 days.

Thanks,

Dave

· Banned
29,681 Posts
In your opinion, Michael-

How many and what models do not require alot of work to make them shine?

From my exerience, Only a Sony is acceptable stock OOB, but it falls just bellow the best once they have all received some TLC.

Hitachi needs it.

Panny needs it.

Toshiba needs it

Mits needs it.

The Pioneer do not require as much... but you pay for that in the price. Hire somone like you to adjsut the others, and the image is better on the others for less money, even after calibration costs.

One giant advantage I see for these 1280X720p DLP machines and 768x1366 LCD GWII's is they don't need that kind of TLC (convergence and geometry and focus and overscan wise anyways) but in the end the blacks suffer on LCD and DLP, and the white crush pretty bad too.

For now, a CRT with some TLC is the way to go when you factor in the cost to picture quality ratio...

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Taken from other posts around the net ...

aprtr-4 = 0

aprtr-a = 0

etc ... 4 in all ...

Green fix ...

G-STR-0 = ... make 0

COLORG0 = 01 for red ...

Regards

· Banned
29,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dave Vaughn
Michael,

How did you fix the ghosting. I have a 57SWX20B that shows the ghosting and would like to fix it through the ISF menu. I have already had my sets grayscale done in January, but it didn't start exhibiting the ghosting until the last 30 days.

Thanks,

Dave
What kind of ghosting?

There are many kinds and many reasons.

Can you take a picture?

Could be focus related-

Could be sharpness setting related-

Could be SVM related-

Could be convergence related-

White halo around edges is probably sharpness or SVM related.

A glowing outline in edges and small dots can be focus or convergence.

What colors and parts of the picture does it effect.

Improvement can certainly be made I am sure ...

I would reccomend:

Pefect the Convergence and Geometry first in the DCAM service menu; if you have not done overscan yet and would like to, do it first or you will probably end up doing this all again.

Then,

Move onto Sharpness settings and SVM. Set sharpness at less than %40. Buy AVIA and use the sharpness adjustment patterns to eliminate the false white halos from your SVM and your sharpness setting.

Then,

Tighten up the blue E focus...which is set soft and fuzzy at the factory for a reason... that will help the blue halo and glow around whites and text on black backgrounds.

Then,

Do a manual focus and ajdust the lense barrel and assembly...

All that will help... and you can learn about it all here at AVS with the search function.

PM me if you need help:)

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

Toshibas can be properly set up the fastest of these units because they are logically assembled (cheap?) ... Physical work is fast and easy ... service menu work takes a bit longer.

Panny is a close second once you are used to the Panasonic philosophy. Service menu work is fairly quick, but the physical work takes longer than Toshiba due to having to take the whole set apart.

Mits ... physical work is fast and the service menu stuff is now fairly quick.

Sony ... Service menu is fast, but physical work takes about 1.5 times that of Panny or Toshiba.

Hitachi ... Service menu work takes the longest of these units and physical work is about average ... aside from taking the protective screen off which takes forever ... 50 screws ... or something ....

Regards

· Registered
9,481 Posts
Mfusick,

The focus is right on. HDTV looks great, but I get a little bit of ghosting from DVD and a lot from Cable. Should I be setting SVM to on? I have it off now. When I had my set ISF'd in January, I had the geometry and convergence done. I have gone back into the DCAM and rechecked it, everything is good there, except for the top right corner there is a slight bend, but even the ISF tech couldn't fix that one os 99% of the screen is perfect. I guess the only question is whether to use SVM and do the tweak that gambrelw stated. I did that once before and changed back to default because HDTV looked way too soft.

Any help would be aprreciated.

Dave

· Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello Michael,

In your experience, watching and turning, how would you rank the different brands in terms of performance/reliability/ISF-tuning? Brands being Sony WV700 series, Hitachi SWX, Pioneer Elite, Toshiba HDX and the like...

Thanks! :)

· Registered
6,723 Posts
Greetings

The Canadian list ... aka no Mits.

Panasonic / Sony are top of my heap

Pioneer (elite or not) ... second only due to cost ... and lacking in a few cal. parameters.

Hitachi (without pasty colours) ...

Toshiba HDX

Samsung

Hitachi (With pasty colours) ... do not purchase

Regards

· Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like the video quality from the new Panasonics too. Good pricing too! Only thing stopping me is that they for some reason chose not to support DVI or firewire input. Sony's WS/WV series does, Hitachi's, Toshiba's HDX...as does Pioneer Elite's x30 series. Not sure whats up with the minds at Matsushita :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.