AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a hitachi 36udx10sa direct view and I can hear a buzzing coming from the rear of the set. It's not from the speakers . I hear it when I am close to the side of the tv and also during low volume times especially at night I can hear it sometimes. The buzz seems to change depending what is on the tv, but never gets louder just different sounding. My wife hasn't noticed it at all. Is this normal?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I just purchases a 36udx10sa recently. If I turn down the volume and put my ear real close to the back of the set, I can hear a buzz. It is not very loud and I would never notice it if my ear wasn't right next to the back of the set. I think this is normal.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think my buzzing is louder than you have Paul, because I can hear it from several feet away. It probably is normal and I am just sensitive to the sound. My wife still hasn't noticed it. I have it sitting on a tv stand, I think if I had it in an enclosed entertainment center I would have never heard it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the 32, and often get a high pitched tone when watching a recorded show through my replaytv 5040. I just assumed it had to do with the replay, but now I'm curious.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Do you guys know how to disable the Scan Velocity Modulation on this set? Everything looks like **** on my Hitachi 36UDX10SA. Everything is either very blurry/smooth or grainy, my old analog set looked better than this. Everything from analog cable to progessive scan video games has this same effect. I don't know if it's a bad set, interference, or Scan Velocity Modulation.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Doom5,

I use the movie mode and the picture looks really good. I do have dish and an xbox and have no complaints. I also turned the sharpness way down.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks, my tv buzzes as well, but I only hear it when my head is right next to the back of the TV, so it doesn't bother me. Most TV's do have a high pitched whine, and the Hitachi's is the least obtrusive one I've heard.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Doom5
Do you guys know how to disable the Scan Velocity Modulation on this set? Everything looks like **** on my Hitachi 36UDX10SA. Everything is either very blurry/smooth or grainy, my old analog set looked better than this. Everything from analog cable to progessive scan video games has this same effect. I don't know if it's a bad set, interference, or Scan Velocity Modulation.
There is a parameter in the service menu called "vsm-ga" which is initially set to 0. Setting it to 3 disables scan velocity modulation.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paul how do you get into the service menu? My buzzing seems louder than what you guys have described. Watching at night with the volume low at 8 feet away I can hear it buzz when the picture changes to a scene that is really bright or has lots of color. I did place a service call to Hitachi, but where I live they are having a hard time finding someone to come out.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks, I can't wait to go home and try it.

To get in the service menu hold the input button down while the TV is off, then press the power button while still holding input button. Let go of the input button as soon as the power LED turns red, which takes less than a second. BE VERY CAREFUL ABOUT WHAT YOU TOUCH IN THERE, you could royally mess up your set if you hit the wrong button.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got into the service menu, but where is the vsm-ga? I selected service menu and 3 cuts came across the top of the screen that you can change. Several of the other ones are resets.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok I found it. Just kept scrolling down. Hitachi found someone to fix the buzzing on the tv, but he doesn't do in home service. No way am I taking this in myself, if I damage it I am screwed. Hitachi might have to get a moving service to take it to the guy. What a pain in the rear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the 32udx10s, and tried accessing the servince menu last night but it didn't work.

Just to confirm, using the remote, with the tv off but having pushed the tv button, hold down the input button and press the power button?

When I tried this, the TV never turned on. please confirm I'm doing it right.

Secondly, if you ever do find out what the service man does to fix the buzzing, let us know.

Last, can someone post a list of the options in the service menu and what they do?

Ol Dirty Wes

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
You have to use the buttons on the front of the tv, and let go of the input button really quick. Took me a few tries. I'll let you know about the buzzing problem if I ever get the tv there. I might just live with it if I can't get a serviceman to the house. I really don't this moved back and forth. I did talk to the tech who would fix it and he said it is the yoke or the flyback transformer. Usually they spray it with something or wedge something to stop the buzzing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Worked... thanks

Anyone have a list of all of these adjustment do?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I've discovered a few other service menu tweaks. In addition to disabling SVM, you can also adjust the color decoder to remove the red push. The relavent parameters are;

RY-PH Adjust Red Hue

R/B-GA Adjust Red Saturation

GY-PH Adjust Green Hue

G/B-GA Adjust Green Saturation

I used Avia for this adjustment, but not the color decoder test pattern. This patten is only useful for determining how incorrect the color decoder is.

First calibrate the Hue and Saturation with the blue bars pattern and blue filter.

Next, use the red bars pattern and red filter to adjust the red hue and saturation using the RY-PH and RB-GA parameters and, likewise, use the green bars pattern and green filter to adjust the green hue and saturation using the GY-PH and G/B-GA parameters. Afterward, put up the blue bars again and recalibrate the hue and saturation. Finally, put up the color decoder test pattern and see how perfectly accurate the color decoder now is.

These parameters are not global. You will have to perform this adjustment separately for component in and for s-video in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.