AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need help from Hitachi CP-SX 5500 users and tweakers.

I'm probably going to buy this projector, if I can get a decent unit.

This means I need to know what kind of uncorrectable / hard to correct deficiencies should I look for in the projected image of a Hitachi CP SX-5500?

I understand that a similar/uniform colour cast might not be that bad (i.e. should be correctable with a filter and some colour balance settings), but a non-uniform colour cast would hard to fix. Am I right?

Also, if people could tell what kind of test procedures (without pro calibration tools) I could try in order test for deal-breaker flaws.

Should I project a one screen colour (black) and take a picture with a decent digicam using long exposure?

How about the grey scale pattern?

Any other tests?

All help mucho appreciated.

cheers,

Halcy

·
Registered
327 Posts
Halcy,

I would have thought by now you would have read enough of the problems of the SX5500. There's really only one issue for me and it doesn't matter whether or not I can fix it because the projector is so good in other ways. I assume you're going to have the projector for a few days for evaluation, in which case you'll need a B&W movie and any colour movie with plenty of dark scenes. There's a strong chance that the grey blank screen will show a bit of purple, but that doesn't necessarily mean the purple will be bothersome in the image. Lack of uniformity of colour that might be seen on the blank screen can be fixed via the service menu and some excess blue removed at the dark grey level by adjusting gamma at 0%.

On my unit, best results are achieved from a progressive source through the component inputs at either cinema or normal gamma. Haven't had much success through RGB although that appears to give the best shadow detail. Haven't tried DVI. I'm still putting my HTPC together.

You probably know already how to access the service menu. (Press menu, reset and reset again for about 5 seconds until the service menu appears.) Scroll down the first column to SLIDESHOW, press the right arrow and go thru a number of screens till you get to the 29 step greyscale. Any purple will likely show up in the darkest 3 or 4 steps. The 4th step is fixable without filters.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
barryz,

thank you for your instructions. I think I had read most of the different CP-SX5500 threads, but I wanted to make sure. I think you're instructions are very helpful.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Halcy

·
Registered
120 Posts
barryz,

In my case, the dynamic gamma gives excellent results when watching HD. However for DVD watching I have to swicth to normal gamma since some colors look too bright and I lose clarity (eg, a blue sky will look almost white with dynamic gamma) . Dont know if you experienced the same on your PJ, or if there is a way to fix this.

halcy,

You will not be disappointed with the 5500. I think it is currently the best PJ out there for the money.

Vas

·
Registered
101 Posts
Halcy,

I am sure you are aware of this, but my only suggestion will be to make sure that the dealer will be able to work with you if you need to change the PJ or in case you do not like it then you can get your money back. Also make sure that the PJ is calibrated for HT.

As for myself, I agree with what vas has mentioned. This is a very nice pj with decent black levels. You should be quite happy with it.

DP

·
Registered
327 Posts
Vas,

Can't say I've noticed washed out skies with dynamic gamma. All colours become more saturated and quite spectacular including skies as I recall. That's a really useful setting for washed our sources. Unfortunately, dynamic gamma doesn't produce the best shadow detail. Can't have everything I suppose. I've tried watching DVD thru the RGB input in normal gamma since this gives the best shadow detail but generally I find component best. The way my projector has been calibrated, most DVDs look best in either normal or cinema gamma with brightness and contrast around the default position. I can't see the point in raising contrast in cinema gamma. Might as well switch to normal gamma. Now, if I had a Firehawk, I'd probably use cinema gamma most of the time - except for those washed out DTV signals.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I, too, am getting best results into the component input.I am using an OMEGA ONE,scaler/switcher, and the results are very good.When i tried going into rgb, got some stange motion artifacts(also experienced this with other scalers like the DUNE, from VIGATECH, and a DVDO, ISCAN PRO).I currently like the the NORMAL GAMMA, with some increase in contrast, and brightness, and red and blue drive.I also recently installed a PS AUDIO,outlet(out board outlet, high current model,retails for 399)and it improved the contrast, and black levels even more.HALACY, if you are willing to work with this pj, you will find it has much to offer,withn very little downside.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.