1365x1024 pixels

500:1 contrast !!

1:1.3 zoom

220W UHB

1500 lumens

DVI input

motion adaptive progressive scan...

Looks really good to me !!

I should be able to get some "really" good pricing for that unit !! (Canadian Only)

Stay tuned !!

Ricky D

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been looking for projectors for months now, and I determine DLP projector is not for me. Even though in general DLP has good contrast, I could not get pass a few things that bother me the most. They are low lumen, tint on image, rainbow and eye strain. This left me with bright and natural coloured LCD with lower contrast ratio. Screen door doesn't bother me as much, I just move myself back until they diappear. Also in consideration is LCOS.

I've been keeping an eye on Hitachi's LCOS. And hurray! finally it's out. The dealer in my area promise me about a month ago that I will get to demo one some time in November. I'll be calling them soon.

Incidentally, the built-in progressive scan circuit is pretty good with the Hitachi. I saw the CP-X985W with that feature, and was impressed. Too bad it only has a contrast ratio of 300. The CP-SX5500W with a contrast ratio of 600 should be adequate. It will be even better if it has 2000 lumens instead of 1500 and power zoom and focus feature.

*****Ricky if you can get good Canadian price on the Hitachi LCOS please post.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Original Hitachi's news release (some time in June if I'm not mistaken) was 500:1 contrast ratio, and it's been floating around since then. And now they revise it to 600:1 on their brochure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
we tested one prototyp 4 weeks ago. sorry, but the contrast was far under 600 : 1 . we think it was around 250 : 1 , but: electronic picture quality, resolution was great. so we hope, that they will reach the target of 600 : 1. than this will be a very fine machine.

best regards

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have an excellent price for that machine, emails or PM for infos.

(Canadians Only)

Thanks

Ricky D

·
Registered
24 Posts
This model was at CEDIA- colors looked good after minor changes to brightness & contrast. The resolution was excellent. I'm not sure how much replacement lamps will cost. Hitachi will start shipping units around the 15th ( they were to ship this week). I'm not surprised by the dropping retail pricing -Hitachi has a broad distribution strategy which benefits consumers. [email protected] has pricng for these-maybe he could arrange a powerbuy?

·
Registered
219 Posts
I think before too much talk about a powerbuy we need to see some solid reviews. These specs seem very interesting for a projector that looks like it's heading for a street price of under $6,000 (and could maybe come in at around $5,000 on a powerbuy in a few months) - LCOS, 1365 x 1024, 1500 lumens, 600:1 contrast, and DVI :D. If all that works as it's supposed to this unit could give JVC some second thoughts about their pricing on D-ILA and start to cut into the market for upper end DLP machines such as the Sharp and others over the horizon.

So I'll make a selfish plea :rolleyes: that any forum members who have the opportunity of demoing this unit do so and report back with their objective and unbiased opinions. Scouring the net at the moment doesn't reveal very much in terms of hands on experience.

For those interested in downloading the (5 MB) users manual you can get it from here:

http://www.hitachi.com/documents/Storage/lcd/

Among other things I note from the users manual that the projector has a user selectable black enhancement mode, 3 gamma modes, and a whisper mode that reduces brightness in exchange for quieter operation (I think it drops from 36 to 32 dB). The DVI input spec states it is DDC 2B compatible.........do any DVI wizards know whether this means we can run this projector through the DVI out on the new Radeon 8500 card?

Lets see those reviews come in and then lets see whether a power buy is something we could generate interest in.

·
Registered
219 Posts
J. Douglas it's not really the pros and cons between Sharps projector and the new Hitachi. The two projectors function with different systems - the Sharp with digital light processing (DLP) and the Hitachi with liquid crystal on silicon (LCOS).

You'd probably find alot of interesting information on the pros and cons of LCOS by doing a search for D-ILA in this forum. D-ILA is JVC's implementation of LCOS, and they have been the driving force behind the technology.

My reading of the posts here and elsewhere has been that most people feel that LCOS (primarily the JVC implementation as D-ILA projectors) provides an image quality that surpasses any of the DLP projectors in the 'reasonable' price category. The disadvantages of D-ILA have been noise, heat, and relatively high prices - both for the initial investment in the projector and the cost of replacement Xenon bulbs.

The interesting thing about the new Hitachi is the initial investment price appears more than reasonable (MSRP was supposed to be about $9000 and it is showing up with street price of around $6000 - the replacement bulbs are not Xenon, but UHB and I have no idea of running costs for replacing 220 W UHB bulbs), DVI input allowing potentially a direct digital connection to an HTPC, and reduced noise output (32 dB in the whisper mode is the same spec as the Sharp that everyone talks about as being so quiet). On top of all that, it is a 1.4 megapixel projector using LCOS technology - the resolution and image qualities have the potential to be absolutely stunning. If Hitachi has implemented this well it really could be a killer projector for home theater at a price point that is LESS than the much vaunted Sharp.

Ricky D, DKChan, chappie (and others).........still very interested to hear your observations after you've been able to demo the production unit. :D

·
Registered
533 Posts
Sometime ago I posted this reply to questions about the Dukane 9115 projector which is a Hitachi 5500 clone:

"I spoke to you last week about the 9115 vs the 9015. I wanted to gather pricing info on the lamp before I contacted you.

The lamp that goes into the 9115 is in fact a 220W UHB, not a UHP. The heat dissipation was never really an issue with the 9015, it is just a matter of proper ventilation. If there is any heat build up from the unit re-circulating its own air, that could cause premature lamp failure. And with this unit, any time there is a premature lamp failure, it is an issue because of the cost. But I have heard of cases where the lamp lasted well beyond the expected life as well.

The wattage on the 9115 lamp is about half, so you would expect the unit to not put out as much heat.

As far as the calibration is concerned, this is not something that was required for this unit. But in the case of the home theater, this is an option the 9015 owners found to increase the quality of the image. But again this is not something that is required, but something private owners would do to make the image as best as it could be. This is not an option for the 9115.

The 9115 lamp is a lot less than the 9015 lamp, it is also rated at twice the life. This is a cost to consider because lamps for these projectors are not cheap, and is an item you would expect to replace.

PN#456-205 lamp - 9015 List$899

PN#456-220 lamp - 9115 List$525

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions, please contact me.

Thank you."

The Dukane specs quote lamp life as being two years.

·
Registered
67 Posts
This projector does sound fantastic. The measured contrast of a prototype worries me, because I don't see how that would change much from prototype to final product (the chip does what it does) but I certainly admit ignorance in this regard....

I have no experience with front projectors, so even if I saw one I wouldn't be much of a judge -- I could be wow-ed by something I'd be unhappy with a couple of months later so I'm really hoping some experienced members can see this and judge the quality.

And with regards to a power buy, if things do pan out with regards to picture quality and one gets organized I'd certainly be in (as long as it isn't in the too distant future -- or I might already have bought one!).

The DVI question is interesting. I really like the idea of DirecTivo->SDI->HTPC->DVI->projector. Sorry, videophiles, I do watch a lot more satellite (sports) than movies so that is an important consideration for me, especially with the high-res of the 4x3 picture.

The following link claims to have a 9M DVI-D cable for $150, which would suit a front projector quite well -- if it really works at this distance.

http://www.dvigear.com/dvidcables.html

Geoff Sherwood

(trying to be very patient, but reading this forum gets me itching to whip out the old credit card!)

·
Registered
67 Posts
This projector does sound fantastic. The measured contrast of a prototype worries me, because I don't see how that would change much from prototype to final product (the chip does what it does) but I certainly admit ignorance in this regard....

I have no experience with front projectors, so even if I saw one I wouldn't be much of a judge -- I could be wow-ed by something I'd be unhappy with a couple of months later so I'm really hoping some experienced members can see this and judge the quality.

And with regards to a power buy, if things do pan out with regards to picture quality and one gets organized I'd certainly be in (as long as it isn't in the too distant future -- or I might already have bought one!).

The DVI question is interesting. I really like the idea of DirecTivo->SDI->HTPC->DVI->projector. Sorry, videophiles, I do watch a lot more satellite (sports) than movies so that is an important consideration for me, especially with the high-res of the 4x3 picture.

The following link claims to have a 9M DVI-D cable for $150, which would suit a front projector quite well -- if it really works at this distance.

http://www.dvigear.com/dvidcables.html

Geoff Sherwood

(trying to be very patient, but reading this forum gets me itching to whip out the old credit card!)

·
Registered
19 Posts
i know from other posts that D-ILA (from JVC) has heat, noise, and cost of bulb problems but do the new hitachi 5500w and the dukane 9115 not have these problems? i.e. have they been mitigated or eliminated? what's the cost of bulb replacement for these LCOS projectors vs. and DLP or LCD projector. (hours of bulb life * cost of bulb == ?)

like many here, i'm thinking of LCOS as an alternative to a DLP projector. i have not auditioned the sharp 9000 but even if i didn't see rainbows or feel fatigue, my guests might and that would not be good after paying $$$ for it.

also, does anyone know if LCOS projectors have the screendoor problem like "other" LCD projectors?

thanks

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
It mitigates the problem, because all the problems you have mentioned about DILA are related to their use of a xenon bulb which is both expensive, high wattage = high heat, and thus high noise.

These new projectors use a new bulb which uses less energy, thus less heat, thus less fan, thus less noise.

However, what this change does to the quality we all have heard from the DILA using xenon is not yet known.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.