AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I discovered this model on the Forum and want to see if anyone has had a chance to see it produce a picture. It looks like it has some really great specs but as we all know specs are not nearly everything.

To see the specs at proj cent go here.

http://www.projectorcentral.com/proj...m?part_id=1255

(Sorry I dont know how to paste a hot link in this window)

There is also some good independant stuff out there on this unit. Very curious about your thoughts! Is this DILA or some sort of hybrid? I found a place that will have it in stock in 1-2 weeks.

It looks cool.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
1st, the new forum automatically makes links clickable :)

Second, it IS DILA, in the sense that it is an LCOS projector. DILA may be a trademark of JVC, but the technology is the same. The only difference between it and the JVC models is the lamp type.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The few things I have found are not in depth reviews but small mentions in business show reviews. But the mention is always positive. Nothing like a tear down review that I think we all want to see. Not trying to hold out anything. I did talk to a guy at a reseller that will get them in a couple weeks and he told me that when Hitachi showed the unit early on this year that it was impressive. He said that the picture had "virtually no pixelization" and it was a very nice picture. I am not sure if the DVD was displayed optimally or any of the circumstances. I am very tempted to order this thing sight unseen.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Actually, as I understand it, there are key differences between JVC DILA and the Hitachi panels. JVC uses a tilted homeotropic nematic mode and Hitachi uses an ECB nematic mode. The Hitachi panels have faster response time. According to some, they are potentially cheaper to produce. Both can be called LCOS, but there are a lot of different kinds of LCOS panels being developed.

·
Registered
634 Posts
ECB = Electrically controlled bi-refringence

I'm not a device major, so I can't give a satisfying answer about the difference between VAN (vertically aligned nematic) and ECB, though I believe they're related. Even within the TN (twisted nematic) umbrella, there are several versions (twist angle, etc.). I try to keep up on SPIE and SID conferences, but the lingo sometimes leaves me a bit confused, so I turn to others I know for clarification. Bottom line is that JVC and Hitachi are different in some respects. Contrast capability is clearly one of the differintiating factors among various LCOS implementations. Based on the limited write-ups I've seen, both are capable of good (like 500:1) CRs.

Maybe a device physicist can chime in and help us out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
WOW! I think my brain just exploded....

It sounds great...I think?

Regards,

Ian Guinan

P.s. seriously though, the technology might be wonderful, but what we all REALLY want is to see one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
There are several different threads on this new Hitachi. A fellow name goldplata is supposedly getting one for review next week. He's promised to give a detailed report.

This looks like an impressive projector for the price. However, I'd love to know if there are any PQ advantages, other than lack of visible pixels, to the LCOS technology? And, will it need the kind of code level tweaking that the D-ILAs apparently need?

- John

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.