AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have this unit? I dont really hear anyone talking about Hitachi's. Are they considered not on par with the Pannys and Pios?

For anyone who has one, what is the PQ like? Does the set favor brighter pictures of more life like tones? How is the scaler in the media box? Does it do a good job of stretching a SD picture?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
Tallcane, I don't have the directors series, but I do have the 55HDT51. I love it. It does a great job with SD. It is great for a computer monitor, it's just all around awesome.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have had one for almost 1 year. I think it is great. The picture quality is superb. I don't watch any SD on it so I can't comment on that question.

I would buy another one.

The only complaints I have is the AVC gets very hot and when using a cablecard channel changes are very slow.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have the hdt51 also.

I also have cablecard from Comcast. SD is fine. HD is wonderful, but I do have some artifacts with fast motion (as in sports) that sometimes are a little distracting. DVD's for the most part are great, but some are a little noisy in dark scenes. I haven't calibrated or worked with my DVD player (which also is new), so I expect that I'll get at least some improvement as I play around with the settings.In sum, it's a great set overall - especially for the price.

My channel changes with the cablecard work just fine: at least as fast as without a card.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Question - on the HDT51 are the speakers removable? I haven't seen one in person and the Hitachi website implies they are non-removable but wanted to ask an owner.

This thing would fit perfect in my entertainment cetner w/o the side speakers... (I'm limited to 57 3/4" wide)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Currently have the 55" Director's Series (DS). Very satisfied for past 3+ months. Pic quality is excellent. SD content is very acceptable. HD is outstanding. Have a Panny 42PD25 and black levels are comparable. The scaler does a great job. DVDs in 480i via component look excellent (IMHO).

While shopping, narrowed choices to Pio5050 & Hitachi 55" DS. Price was similar for wall mounting- Hitachi does not come with a stand. Inputs are similar. Pic quality at stores were both outstanding. Could not go wrong with either unit. The deciding factors favoring the Hitachi were greater size (55 vs 50) and Hitachi's Day & Night memory. This feature makes a great difference. You can change preprogrammed settings (automatically or manually) to optimize the unit for daytime and night time viewing.

Hitachi DS models are difficult to find let alone view in person. If marketing & distribution was similar to Pio, Hitachi would be more commonplace.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Comoteva,

I tried to get one of these sets from the DE location but was told they can not get any more from Hitachi as the new models will be out soon. Bummer. I would buy this set if I could find it for the right price.

I am told the new models will not have an external media box but will incorporate all electronics in the panel which is dissapointing to me. Speakers are not removeable.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have had two Hitachi 55HDT51 plasmas in my home . The first one was returned for what I thought was a low level buzzing problem and after I got the second one, it also exhibited the same issue, so I guess it is normal for this plasma model. It is really not that bad as it is hard to hear it when normal audio is playing.

The features, looks, size, price and HD picture are great but I found several issues that bother me that I have saw on both units and also two other display models at the dealer. The display has a non-linear gray scale tracking and noise in dark areas. The non-linear gray scale tracking results in visible false contouring or posterization. These issues were pointed out in a review on the very similar 55HDM71 at http://www.svconline.com/mag/avinstall_hitachi_hdm/ . I have tried to improve the situation via user control but to no avail. I am not sure if the non-linear gray scale tracking problem can be improved using the service menu, but I have a ISF certified technician coming over on Monday to take a look. I sure hope it can be improved as in all other respects this is a great plasma. I assume these issues also effect the Director series 55HDX61, as all the Hitachi 55" plasmas have the same plasma glass and electronics, but maybe the Director's are calibrated better? Hopefully these issues are fixed on the new models.

Just for reference, the unit I returned was manufactured in September 2004, the one I have now was in August 2005 (now that's new!) and the one on display in the showroom was in January 2005, which is a pretty good representative sample. I guess one good thing is that they all exhibit identical PQ at the same settings, saying that Hitachi has excellent manufacturing consistency.

·
Registered
84 Posts
As someone said earlier, if hitachi had better distribution they would be much more common. I wanted to buy a Hitachi consumer model but you almost NEVER run across a place that carries them online for a MAP. When you do, it's usually a place nobody's ever heard of. Too bad more don't carry them.

I saw a 42hdt51 and it looked good overall. The swivel stand was awesome. The color seemed just slightly off, but the set might have needed calibration. The 55 I saw was perfect. From what I hear, the speakers on the new hdt52 series are supposed to be removable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.