AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Yeah, but no plans on when it will be released to the US market. Typical. The quote: ...consumers in Europe and the United States were not as keen on high-end recorders.. clearly ignores us on this forum. I suppose WE aren't significant, just vocal.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Drives are dirt cheap, there's no reason for all HD based recorders not to include large drives. It's insane that Tivo is still using 40/80GB drives, when you can get a 200GB for $50 after rebate.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_M
Drives are dirt cheap, there's no reason for all HD based recorders not to include large drives. It's insane that Tivo is still using 40/80GB drives, when you can get a 200GB for $50 after rebate.
There are companies that will upgrade a TIVO to include a larger HDD (e.g., http://www.weaknees.com/ ), but I've yet to see one who offers to upgrade the HDD in a DVD recorder.

Anyone know of one?

RG

·
Registered
811 Posts
I installed a 320GB drive in my Pioneer DVR-420H. You have to use a Pioneer service remote and service DVD to do it, though. There's a CPRM ID that has to be entered and verified, and a small firmware file is read off of the service disc. It's pretty easy overall. As soon as I can verify the process is the same for the new 531/533/633 models (need to check the service manual to be certain), I will do the same to my 531. If my memory is right, I think my 420 shows over 75 hours available at XP...

I know of a couple of people who tried going to 400GB drives in their Pioneer 520 machines, but it did not work. Perhaps the firmware will only work up to certain size.

Some DVD recorders (LG, for example) do not have a special process to replace their hard drives. You can just swap them out.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
On the Panasonic DVD recorders with hard drive, the file system is not standard. It isn't a form of Unix, or something like that, it appears to be written in-house for the purposes of DVD recording. That's likely why is's so unreliable. As far as I know, no one has been able to put a larger drive in their machine and have the space, above what the machine came with, usable. Many people have put larger drives in their machines, but they just format to the size of the original drive that was with the machine when it was new. If anyone has managed to make a larger drive work in their Panasonic DVDR, I would certainly like to hear about it.

·
Registered
8,948 Posts
The Comcast HD DVR is only $9.95/mo, though it has a relatively small HDD (80 or 100 GB). But it also has the required dual HD cable tuners, plus VOD. I don't see much market for a HD DVR without a HD/BD DVD recorder attached, especially at over $1K.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy
On the Panasonic DVD recorders with hard drive, the file system is not standard. It isn't a form of Unix, or something like that, it appears to be written in-house for the purposes of DVD recording. That's likely why is's so unreliable. As far as I know, no one has been able to put a larger drive in their machine and have the space, above what the machine came with, usable. Many people have put larger drives in their machines, but they just format to the size of the original drive that was with the machine when it was new. If anyone has managed to make a larger drive work in their Panasonic DVDR, I would certainly like to hear about it.
That's why I opted for the Panasonic E-500 with 400 GB storage space. All that space lets me record all my time-shifting programs at XP -- love it!

RG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.