1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Hitachi launches new Hybrid recorder

Wednesday, 17 September 2003

Hitachi start selling the MSP1000 hybrid recorder with 120GB HDD from September 25th.

The recorder uses a 120GB hard disk allowing storing up to 120 hours of recorded video. The device also supports recording / playback of DVD-RAM and DVD-R/DVD-RW.

Specifications:

- Hard disk capacity: 120GB

- Supported Playback formats: DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD video, audio CD, video CD and CD-R/RW

- Supported Recording formats: DVD-RAM, DVD-R and DVD-RW

- Network connectors: LAN, USB

- Input Connectors: S-Video inputs, Video inputs, 2ch analog audio inputs, BS decoder input

- Output Connectors: D1 Video output, component video output, S-Video outputs, Video output, 2ch analog audio outputs, digital audio outputs

- Dimensions: 430×75×352 mm (W x H x D)

- Weight: 6.0kg
Source:
http://www.cdr-info.com/Sections/New...RelatedID=4140

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I bet that it is made by Panasonic (like all Hitachi recorders so far) and similar to DMR-E100 but with DVD-RW recording enabled.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
LAN connections????

anyone got a price on this yet???

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Quote:
- Input Connectors: S-Video inputs, Video inputs, 2ch analog audio inputs, BS decoder input
What's this "BS decoder input"? Is this designed to be used for recording political debates? ;)

·
Registered
218 Posts
Almost all the news at cdr-info.com site is about products being released in Japan/Asian markets, and is irrelevent for us here in the USA. At least for the near future. As there is no mention of such a thing at their (Hitachi) US web site. Albeit the web site is usually the last to be updated!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xortam
What's this "BS decoder input"? Is this designed to be used for recording political debates? ;)
(note to self... never read this forum while drinking coke.... must buy new keyboard from overspray) :D :D

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
CK- good point- I too would bet at least 10 bucks that Panny makes it. Hitachi just would not have the manu capability to bring something like this out so soon esp with the Panny proprietary RAM. God this reminds me so much of the Matsushita(Panny) and Sony licensing of VHS and Beta during 1977-1985. The pattern is similar. The Japanese are so good at video electronic sales, manufacturing and marketing.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Does anyone have any idea why it would have USB but not Firewire? Even if that's USB 2, I think most digital video cameras use Firewire instead, probably even in Japan.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HoustonGuy
CK- good point- I too would bet at least 10 bucks that Panny makes it. Hitachi just would not have the manu capability to bring something like this out so soon esp with the Panny proprietary RAM.
Hitachi has been propelling the DVD-RAM format. You konw, LG - formal company name is "Hitachi-LG Data Storage - makes DVD-Multi drive, and its DVD burner portion is developed by Hitachi.

MSP1000 is developed by Hitachi, not Panasonic. It's totally different from Panasonic's recorder.

According to Japanese press article:

(1) MSP1000 has 4 recording mode - HQ, SP, LP and VOD.

(2) Audio format is MPEG1 Layer2. NOT DOLBY DIGITAL!

(3) VOD mode is streaming mode for PC client. User can view the VOD contents on Windows XP PC via network, but can't copy the VOD contents to PC. Other contents recorded by HQ, SP and LP mode cannot be playbacked, it must be converted to VOD mode.

(4) MSP1000 can play DVD-RAM, DVD-R, DVD-RW, but it cannot record onto a DVD-RAM, DVD-RW with Video Recording format. It can convert the contents on the HDD to a DVD-R/DVD-RW disc with DVD Video format. The recording format on a DVD-RAM disc is not compatible with other DVD-RAM capable recorders/players.

(5) MSP1000 has EPG function.

(6) It has USB1.1 connection for connecting digital camera. It allows users to view JPEG images but cannot copy these files to the HDD.

I think it's still on a halfway development. Hitachi may release upgrade software to solve these issues...

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Not only that, but the specs are for the Japanese version. I would venture to guess that they would at least change the audio format for the States and of course we don't use/need a BS tuner.

Doesn't sound like something I'm interested in, I'd rather do the E100.

Troy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.