AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been lurking on this forum for some time and I would like to thank all of you for the knowledge I have been able to gain in a limited period of time. I like the Hitachi LCD color and the brightness of the screen. For me black level is tolerable and the gain in brightness wins in the trade off.

My question is will there be any burn in effect? I have seen posts that seem to indicate that there is a concern here and others that say burn in does not occur. For me one of the largest selling points is brightness of the picture, but if that will cause burn in, then there really is no advantage here. If it is going to burn in I might as well buy a CRT and let it burn in for almost 2/3 the price.

Some will suggest DLP and I can say that side by side I do not like the color of the Sammy DLP even if blacks are slightly better. I tried to adjust the color but had no real ability to correct what to me was a yellowish tint. Perhaps calibration would fix that, but at that point I would have spent another $1,000 over the LCD. Not in my budget.

Also, has anyone determined what is causing the black spots at the lower corners of the Hitachi LCD display? I have not seen this but it is a concern. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
60 Posts
my bet is that you will either have black spots out of the box or not at all...

I don't think anyones hitachi has developed them over time....

someone here correct me if I am wrong

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by camperdaddy
Also, has anyone determined what is causing the black spots at the lower corners of the Hitachi LCD display? I have not seen this but it is a concern. Thanks for the input.
The black blotches in the lower corners of the screen are probably caused by shipping problems. No one has reported that they developed from a set that didn't have them out of the box.

To relieve your mind about burn-in you need to know that it's simply phosphor being used up faster in one area than another. CRT sets create their images by "aggravating" phosphors. LCD, LCoS, and DLP projectors and rear projector TV sets do not have phosphors.

LCD and LCoS sets can have an after image which will correct itself in a short time if the power is off. They will also correct themselves over a longer period of time if the fixed image that caused them is replace with something that is constantly changing.

The impression you have that there is a debate about LCD burn-in comes from people asking if there is LCD burn-in and others telling them that it's not possible.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Someone mentioned that the Hitachi's owner manual stated to keep 4:3 view to less than 15% of the total viewing.

If you are concerned about burn in, which is a legitimate concern, I'd try to find out why Hitachi has this warning. It may not be "burn in" in the sense that we think about it, but there must be some reason for the warning.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Someone in another thread this morning reported that Hitachi says the black spots in the corner(s) are from some plastic or foam (packing material?) inside of the set coming loose in shipping, handling or set-up, and ends up blocking part of the lightpath inside...therefore is not an "electronic" problem and an easy fix by service.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Just to clarify Steven's point: The manual is wrong. They are using an old CRT RPTV manual and including useless info as a result.

This is very common, unfortunately.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
No burn-in with LCD or LCoS, but definitely image retention. In the case of LCoS this fades fairly rapidly after the fixed image has left, and actually appears to be worst on the chip providing the red part of the image.

LCD does have the issue of bad pixels (and maybe LCoS, but I haven't seen or heard a lot about it). However, very difficult on normal situations to notice this and not typically considered a flaw by the manufacturer.

DLP technology in general does have a certain amount of problem with colors, but what you are talking about appears to be an anomaly that was fairly prevalent when the Sammy DLPs first came out, but which I almost never see now. If you looked around more you would likely see instances with very very nice pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.