AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering a Hitachi 60 inch rear projection LCD as the Samsung DLP produces eye fatigue. I noticed that the Hitachi's black levels seem much better than the Sony or Panasonic LCDs. In fact, they seem to be close to the Samsung black levels. Unfortunately, I have only seen the Hitachi at places like CC and Sears (Bright Environment). I am looking for input from owners that have tweaked this set. How do the Hitachi black levels look in a dark room?

·
Registered
548 Posts
The Hitachi black levels are pretty damned good. I don't know if they're QUITE as good as DLP, but they are real close. I liked the DLP myself, but the eye fatigue was the worst part for me, and the ~$1000 price difference was a lot to swallow as well, considering the minor differences.

Now, I saw a Sony 42" LCD yesterday, and it was very impressive. I'm curious, when you mentioned Sony above, which set did you see? Last years GW or this years newest GW (just now hitting showroom floors).

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I'm satisfied with my Hitachi. Although the blacks aren't perfect they are good enough. BTW, it has been mentioned that you can improve the appearant black level by placing a soft light behind the entire set.

Cheers

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Now, I saw a Sony 42" LCD yesterday, and it was very impressive. I'm curious, when you mentioned Sony above, which set did you see? Last years GW or this years newest GW (just now hitting showroom floors). [/b]

[/quote]

Ten 99,

I saw the new 42 inch Sony this weekend. If you liked Gen II you will really like Gen III. I felt the picture was better than Gen II but very close. Black Levels were similar to the Panasonic LCD. The picture had a very smooth filmlike look. Not quite as punchy as the Hitachi. The best part about Gen III was the cosmetics of the new set. Really impressive and high end looking.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I've had the 50V500 for one week now and have had the opportunity to view both it and a Panny PT50LC13 in a completely darkened room. IMO, while a calibrated Panny comes very close in PQ to the Hitachi in a well-lit room, as the ambient light goes down, the Hitachi's black performance edge really becomes apparent.

Believe me when I say this: I wanted to like the Panny more than the Hitachi. That VGA port was mighty tempting. But when it came down to it, I preferred the PQ of the Hitachi, enough that I was willing to sacrifice easy PC connectivity and abundant inputs.

Both sets are very nice. I don't think you can really go wrong with either. Just try to decide what your primary intent is for the display. If movies and HD content is more important to you than home theater PC, then I would highly recommend the Hitachi. If you plan on spending a lot of time using the display as a PC monitor, then the Panny may make your life a lot easier.

·
Registered
43 Posts
One thing to consider, which I haven't had time to pursue yet is a macro in my Pronto to select day versus night viewing on my PT-50LC13. The 1985 Panasonic that the new one replaced had a photocell for automatically adjusting brightness/contrast depending on the ambient lighting. Too bad they lost the recipe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.