AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was/am considering a Samsung DLP HLN61 (Bright, good detail and good black level) and am nervous about eye fatigue based on 5 to 10 minute viewing sessions at retailers. I originally wrote off Sony gen II DLP due to poor black level. Does anyone have experience with the Hitachi LCD or Sony Gen III LCD sets? I would hate to resort back to CRT but, I don't want to compromise picture quality. Suggestions?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Your eye fatigue could be due to other factors besides the set, including the lighting or lack of it at the retailers. If you can get one with deferred payment and a good return policy, you might try auditioning the set at your house. If it still fatigues you, send it back.

If the room you'll watch the TV is going to be very dark, you may need to go with the Samsung. If there's going to be a lot of ambient light in the room, the black levels of an LCD may not be as much of a problem and the rich colors may carry the day.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vvv
I would hate to resort back to CRT but, I don't want to compromise picture quality.
If I've learned one thing on this forum, it's that ALL HD sets are a compromise in some way, even direct view CRT (screen size, burn-in). One has to prioritize what's most important and pick accordingly. Personally, I think there is a lot to be said for buying from a B&M store with a good return policy when making an HD choice. There is no way to judge based on store viewing.

The GWIII discussions have been primarily based on specification and dealer's comments. Some say it is the same basic light engine as the GWII. A few think there will be some improvement.

I still think the Sammy DLP is the way to go if it doesn't bother your eyes. Unfortunately it did bother mine and I returned a HLN617W for the GWII. I'm very happy now, but I admit to not being very sensitive to black levels. 5 Years of a CRT based RP trained me that dark blue is just as good as black. :)

You might check the availability threads on the HLN617W. It still seems to require luck, patience, or both to actually get one.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
I agree totally with Robbin. You might want to check the threads on the Panny RP LCD as well as the Hitachi RP LCD. Lots of happy campers.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am having a great time with my 50" GWII. I really do not have a problem with the black levels. I did see in the showrooms that the GWIIs had shallower black levels when compared side-to-side with the Mitsus. However, the Sony picture was sharper and the colors just looked more realistic. At home, my eyes do not have any problems believing that the blackest parts of the picture are black enough.

I disqualified the Samsung DLPs due to price mostly, and due to seeing a rainbow effect, partly. However, they did look good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.