AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to see the Hitachi PJ-TX100 projector today.

The setup was as follows:

-- feed was a Meridian 800 series DVD player.

-- screen was a Stewart FireHawk, 80" diagonal;

-- viewing/seating was 9 to 10 feet from the screen.

The picture looked very good but:

-- had a noticeable screen door effect on bright scenes;

-- not quite as sharp/detailed as the Sharp XU-12000 (not a surprise here given the difference in price points).

Mu questions are this:

1. In my application I will be sitting 15 feet away from a 92" diagonal Stewart FireHawk. Will the screendoor effect be either completely or largely removed given that I will be sitting much further away/back.

2. Do those that own this projector feel that it lacks depth/sharpness (as I did when I compared it to the Sharp XU-12000) or is it simply the case that without the ability to do an A/B comparison that the image is incredible and "life goes on".

3. As it relates to the Sony VPL-HS51, the only other projector that I would consider, was anyone here at CEDIA who can comment on its performance relative to the Hitachi.

4. AND FINALLY... the $64,000 question... what do people think I should do...

a) Buy the Hitachi;

b) Buy the Sony; or

c) Wait it out and try to find a retailer who will allow an A/B comparison.

TIA,

Joel

·
Registered
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joelc

3. As it relates to the Sony VPL-HS51, the only other projector that I would consider, was anyone here at CEDIA who can comment on its performance relative to the Hitachi.

Joel
I was there and spent an entire day checking out the 720P LCD PJ's.

On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being best, here is what I viewed... (saw each at least twice)

10- Tie Epson 500 and Panny AE700

8- Sony HS51

7- Screenplay 5000

4- Hitachi TX100

Z3 was not at the show.

A couple of comments on the Hitachi, I asked the Hitachi rep if it was ISF'd, he replied that they were trying to find out what ISF'd was! It was readily apparent that Hitachi puts little effort towards their FP department. Screendoor was worst on the Hitachi, followed by the Sony and Infocus, very little SDE on Epson, and none on the Panny. Could the Hitachi look good? I'm sure it could, but it seemed that it required quite a bit of effort, and the IF 4805 blew it away.

My bottom line? I consider the TX100 to be akin to this years Ohio State Football team, highly rated and anticipated preseason, but turns out to be the biggest disappointment since the Earl Bruce team with a losing record around 1987!

Since this is AVS I'm sure I'll be flamed, but I have the notes and I was there, I'm sure many flamers weren't.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nnci:

Many thanks for the detailed respones.

In light of a sleepless night (after being disappointed with the Hitachi) and your response I have scheduled a Hitachi vs Sony shoutout and pick the better of the two. Of course, I willlet everyone know the results.

As far the other part of my original thread -- will the screen door effect be less in my application as I will be sitting 15 feet away?

TIA,

Joel

·
Registered
81 Posts
To me the Hitachi looks very good at 10 feet. To each his own?

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Forget about Screen Door effect. All it takes is a slight defocuss and the SDE is GONE! I have a lower resolution Panasonic L200 and a slight defocus is all it takes. With a higher resolution pj like the Hitachi, I would be confused if a slight defocus didn't eliminate sde. I have seen it tried on a Sanyo Z1 and it works the same. The slightly higher resolution of the Z1 required very little defocus and the picture was smooth as silk and remained sharp.

While viewing both projectors, play with the focus very carefully and you will probably find it only takes a small amount of defocus to eliminate SDE.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Please remember that this projector is NOT in our forum price range based on US MSRP (unless something has dramatically changed lately).

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
norpus, cpc, and madpoet:

Many thanks for the feedback/responses.

This is where things now stand (but still have to be finalized):

-- I will install the Hitachi.

-- If the SDE is either not visible or liveable I will keep it.

-- If the SDE is visble or not liveable then I will a) return the Hitachi for a refund and b) install the SOny. I will thenn be stuck with the Sony.

The problem I am having is that no local dealer will have an HS51 for a demo which means that I can not see one let alone do a side-by-side comparison.

Any thoughts to add?

Joel

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.