AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at getting my first RPtv, and Have decided on hitachi. I like the new XWX series (they have firewire and dvi) but they are too big. I am going to be sitting only 8-9ft from the screen and from what I hear 57 is just too big and I am stretching it by going for 51,or do you think I could do the 57? The swx line would be my second choice, but the store I went too said that they switched to the g500, and that it was just as good as the swx. Is the G500 as good as the swx?

Thanks

Matthew

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I am at 12 feet and the 65 is just a little too big, but I am switching to the 57 for other reasons. I have already had a 57 in my house before I bought, and it seems a little small at 12 feet. I agree you are on the close side, but don't think that you are too close to make it work. The set at CC in my neiborhood is 7 feet away and I never thought I was too close.

I would try and talk you over to a TWX or SWX though because after owning the xwx, I don't really use the decoder much, and firewire seems only for interconnecting components now and nothing to do with possible copyright protection, which was still up in the air until the end of last year. Once I factored those 2 out, I am left with 1500 for really nothing. I decided to use 500 of that on having it calibrated and pocketing the grand. If you can find a TWX, it will have the nice cabinet like the XWX only marble instead of black and the XWX screen, and it is only 200 more than the SWX. I know the XWX 51 is just coming out, but have not seen it at a dealer yet. If I were you , I would get the 57 and get it from somewhere that has the 30 days for return, and if you decide otherwise you can always go down in size. I had a problem with going from the 65 to the 57 because the 65 is more cinematic, but when I watch a 51 at no time do I feel the movie experience, so there is a huge incentive to make the 57 work.

In closing, so you basically don't want yourself to be overwhelmed by your new top of the line, High Definition, best analog on the market, only model which will allow split picture dual HD for sports, Rear Projection Television, is that it? That is a dilemma you surely don't want to face. You can't go wrong with the XWX, but I think you will find you don't use the OTA much, and cabibrating on the other hand does seriously help, so if you can avoid it, I just wanted to share my view after I bought. I shared your view before, but at that time it wasn't as abundantly clear that firewire is never going to be the copyright protection method, if that comes to pass. I tried many sets but in the 51 and 57 model, there is nothing that I have seen better in HD, and I was very suprised that these sets are stunning in analog while all the sets they compete with on the HD side, are just horrible in that regard. If you haven't already noticed that, then you will be getting a bonus when you do. I hope you get the set that is best for you, but also hope you decide to try the 57 inch first with either the XWX or the SWX/TXW depending on dealers in the area.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was a well thought out response, and I appreciate it very much. I will take your advice on not getting the xwx. I only wanted the xwx because I thought I would be able to record high def. Thank you for clarifying that issue. I will also give that 57 a shot.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have the 57XWX20B and I love it. I would encourage you to not rule it out. Unlike "Addicted", I watch a fair amount of OTA HD, and it works great. By the way, I think you would enjoy the 57" at 8 feet. It will be much like being at the movies, but I don't believe you will find it overwhelming. I must say that I got an excellent deal on the XWX over Super Bowl weekend that made the extra cost more palatable. I don't know if I would have paid the $4499 list price. The SWX/TWX are great too. You will not go wrong with any of these 3 models. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I would say a better quality picture from a set top box ,or the new dvd players that will be coming out like the samsung w/dvi.Also, it makes sense that High def dvd players will hookup with DVI since it will protect againist video piracy.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have a 57uwx and watch it from 7-8' away. Its really to close but not unenjoyable. I knew the 57 was to big for the room when I bought it, but I have been planning on moving and the price was right. If you have plans for a future theater room then the 57 is good for 9-13'.

I love mine, even @ 7', with window glare the Masters in HD was AWESOME!!

Hope this helps??

EK

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by acududeman
I have the 57XWX20B and I love it. I would encourage you to not rule it out. Unlike "Addicted", I watch a fair amount of OTA HD, and it works great. By the way, I think you would enjoy the 57" at 8 feet. It will be much like being at the movies, but I don't believe you will find it overwhelming. I must say that I got an excellent deal on the XWX over Super Bowl weekend that made the extra cost more palatable. I don't know if I would have paid the $4499 list price. The SWX/TWX are great too. You will not go wrong with any of these 3 models. Good luck!!
The reason I said I don't use the decoder much is I get locals thru my local cable company, and so having that decoder serves a redundant purpose. Even if I want dual HD pictures I can do so with 2 cable boxes, and it still saves 1300 to 1500 bucks.

Are you saying that you just can't get locals thru cable and thus it is worth it? If you have a dish, than you call also pull the OTA thru their 99 dollar ad on device and again don't need the decoder on the XWX, so please clarify the disagreement if you don't mind. He can't go wrong with the XWX, but after owning one, which you do too, if you can pull locals off either dish with that 99 dollar module or off of cable, 1500 bucks is a great deal for a better screen and firewire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.