AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between the XX-VS810 and the XX-VX915 "Director's Series" sets?

When I look at the specs, they seem identical but for the FireWire port. Is there more to it than that?

· Registered
209 Posts
Only that and Anti-Reflective coating vs. "Deep" Anti-Reflective coating. If the VX915 is like models in the past though the difference between these will probably be pretty minimal.

· Registered
731 Posts
Jim what cable co. do you have? All the major ones were mandated to carry cable cards this past July 1st. Cable card lets you get all the channels you get with the stb from the cable co. with the exception of VOD (obviously you don't get their guide either as that's part of the box, some tvs with cablecard have built in guide in set though), but like I said you get all channels, analog, digital & HD as long as you subscribe to them. I have it on my set & am quite happy with it. I would say hd pics look as good as using hd box & analog/digital channels look even better then when using box. I also really like it because I can use my dvr/hd box to record anything & can also watch just about anything else I want (including hd programs).

Jon

· Registered
12 Posts
I have the 810 and I just had my cable company install a cable card for my tv yesterday. I live on Long Island and use Cablevision. Three guys from Cablevison came for the installation. Two of them came along for the ride, as they hadn't seen a tv with a cable card. I was told that their particular office on the Island had only installed 3 prior televisons with a cable card, and they started in July. This technology is very new, but it will be the next wave of technology for cable.

· Registered
1,156 Posts
The only differences are as follows:

1) Deep Black Anti-Reflective Screen, Deal maker for me.

2) New Learning AV NET III

3) Simple Remote Control, Which is a second remote control.

4) IEEE-1394 Interface with Basic audio Video control- I found out from a tech at Hitachi today that this is not for passing audio or video signals but only for the controlling of devices.

5) IR Outputs for AV Net III

Can anyone confirm that the IEEE cannot send audio or video signals?

· Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mattburk

Can anyone confirm that the IEEE cannot send audio or video signals?
I think you need another tech. Of course it can. That's its purpose. And the Hitcahi manual does say that it does, albiet in pidgin english.

· Registered
339 Posts
I think we lowly consumers believe "of course, it can. That's its purpose", but I have read in a couple of places that the Firewire is only there to transmit "control" signals, NOT content.

· Registered
89 Posts
From the 915 owners manual

"With IEEE1394 connection, video and audio will be received by the TV. It will enable you to control the D-VHS from the TV IEEE1394 menu (see page 36)."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.