AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if the Hitiachi HDTV sets are nice. I was looking at the 61SWX01W or the smaller 53SWX01W.

Anyone have any comments on them. Also anyone know a good price around?

Thanks

------------------

Chris

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had the 61SWX01W and returned it for the Mitsubishi 65857

Let me say, on bright scenes , the picture on the Hitachi was terrific...

But in dark scenes, there was so much light scattering in the cabinet, it was unacceptable...

I would see green and red circles in the dark areas of the picture....

The black level was terrible.....coundn't even be calibrated with Video Essentials

That being said.... as this was my second 61SWX set,

( the first one had some dead pixels ) it may just be that particular sample that had a bad black level...

Overall I didn't want to keep the set, all things considered.... but it is capable of producing a detailed, bright picture....

If you want other suggestions, The Mitsu 65857 is very nice too... and more features to boot....

Such as,,, many more inputs....and the RF emitter system...both of which are important to me....look at the website, and go look at each set....

Good luck

Shelly

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have not owned a Hitachi, however, my 11 year old Magnavox has Hitachi CRT's. It has well over 15,000 hrs on it (probably closer to 20,000) and the tubes still look fantstic!! The picture is better than most new sets.

I took the CRTs out about a year ago to replace the coolant and I was shocked at how good they looked. Barely any noticable useage burn on the blue, The green and red still looked new!

------------------

Mark A. Torre

NEC XG-8"CRT PJ, HTPC, HDTV and loving it! The Torre Home Theater

·
Registered
884 Posts
Has anyone compared the Hitachi UWX and SWX models? Are their differences significant? Can scan velocity modulation be switched off on the Hitachis? Does Hitachi still have an advantage of a glass lens, rather than plastic that other brands don't have?

Also, if the Hitachis have black-level problems, the Mitsubishis have red shift, Sony has too much orange-red color and its DRC results in digital artifacts, Toshibas have been prone to problems, Pioneer pricing is $1000 higher than competitors, is there any brand that does not have some major drawback?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Replace the coolant?? Do you mean I scrapped my 43" NEC for leaking coolant when it could have been fixed???? yikes.... would have looked good in the downstairs playroom...

BTW, replaced it with a Hitachi 61swx10b....

------------------

<================

Jim White

Treasure Island, FL

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the 61SWX01B and I am very pleased with its performance. It has a very clear, bright picture and the magic focus handles the convergence well. Mine does seem to have a lot of light scattering around in the cabinet but the is only noticable when the picture is mostly black (like an outerspace scene). I don't find it bothersome enough to take it back for a different set.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I had a similar problem with the NEC early on.... interior was un-painted flakeboard... after the exchange warranty ran out, I opened it up and painted the interior with black barbecue paint.... nice and flat.... fixed it right up!!

Quote:
Originally posted by rgjullin:
I have the 61SWX01B and I am very pleased with its performance. It has a very clear, bright picture and the magic focus handles the convergence well. Mine does seem to have a lot of light scattering around in the cabinet but the is only noticable when the picture is mostly black (like an outerspace scene). I don't find it bothersome enough to take it back for a different set.

------------------

<================

Jim White

Treasure Island, FL

·
Registered
716 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cf101:
Anyone know if the Hitiachi HDTV sets are nice. I was looking at the 61SWX01W or the smaller 53SWX01W.
Yes, you seriously need to shop around for the best price; the prices on the new models (I think its the 53SWX10W/61SWX10W?) have dropped dramatically. Also, the new models have a choice between upconverts to 540p or 1080i for interlaced input, which can make a BIG difference to the appearance of DVD's. Additionally, the sets you mention have 20% less horizontal resolution compared to the new models. I would agree with other responders that the hitachi picture can't be beaten on some scenes, but it doesn't excel in shadow detail. (I have the older 53SWX01W).

------------------

"You can't argue with a confident man"

- Napoleon Wilson, Assault on Precinct 13

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, the 61SWX10B/12B is the new model, isn't it?... just started shipping in August.... it does 1080i/540p upconvert, the 10b vs 12b is in the protective/antiglare screen... the much more available 10b has the glossy protective screen.... has anyone ever figured out if you can remove the glossy screen?... having no kids around, I'd be game....

Quote:
Originally posted by HiDefGuy:
Yes, you seriously need to shop around for the best price; the prices on the new models (I think its the 53SWX10W/61SWX10W?) have dropped dramatically. Also, the new models have a choice between upconverts to 540p or 1080i for interlaced input, which can make a BIG difference to the appearance of DVD's. Additionally, the sets you mention have 20% less horizontal resolution compared to the new models. I would agree with other responders that the hitachi picture can't be beaten on some scenes, but it doesn't excel in shadow detail. (I have the older 53SWX01W).

------------------

<================

Jim White

Treasure Island, FL

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
forgot to mention, I got the 61SWX10b at Sears for $3299... I set out to buy the 53" but nobody had stock... ended up paying only slightly more for the 61"... had to remove the decorative railing (I call it a fence) at the top of the stairs... no way it was going around the corner!!

I also ordered a Key Digital VGAtoCOMPONENT converter and some 4.5' component cables from CopperBox....

can't wait till Monday nite when it should all be here!!

------------------

<================

Jim White

Treasure Island, FL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.