AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I e-mailed Hitachi customer service inquiring when they expect the release of the new model 60T925 LCoS RPTV. This model was supposed to be released by Dec '05 with a MSRP of $5,299. The following is the response that I received from Hitachi:

"Unfortunately, Hitachi has suspended it's plans to manufacture the LCoS technology for the 2005 model year. At this time, they have not released the specific reason or whether they plan on introducing it in the 2006 line. I apologize for the inconvenience."

I just wanted to share this piece of information with all of you. I had been considering this Hitachi model as an alternative to Sony KDS-R60XBR1.

·
Registered
673 Posts
*sigh* That's a shame. I was hoping to have more choices in 1080p LCoS when I plan on buying one at year-end. Hopefully Sony, JVC and LG will still be able to meet their expected street dates for their LCoS' this year.

·
Registered
16,691 Posts
yayi; thanks for the info and welcome to the forums.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Well that sucks. I was really looking forward to seeing this new set. Seems like Hitachi will be late to the game for 1080p and will lose potentially alot of revenue to it's competitors.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsArcade
*sigh* That's a shame.
x2

What will Hitachi do to fill the 1080 gap in their line up now? Another wobulated DLP in last years cabinet?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you go to Hitachi's web site you will see that the new models (VG825 & VF820 series) for 2006 are listed, but these are only 720p LCD. No mention is made of the LCoS 1080p that were announced in conjunction with the LCD's.

Hitachi had planned to release three LCoS 1080p RPTV in 2005. The UltraVision CineForm LCoS Projection HDTV 60T925, and two UltraVision CineForm Director's Series LCoS Projection 60X927 and 70X27.

These sets were based on Hitachi's own (developed and produced) proprietary three panel LCoS light engine.

The 60T925 was going to be available in Nov '05 and retail for $5,299, the 60X927 in Nov. '05 for $6,499 and the 70X927 in Dec. '05 for $8,499.

These sets were supposed to be of the same quality and in the same price range as of the new Sony SXRD models that are coming out in Sep. '05.

It might be that Hitachi is having yield problems producing their own LCoS chip.

Too bad for the consumer, excellent news for Sony. This means that besides Sony only JVC and LG have 1080p LCOS sets scheduled for release in 2005. And from what I have seen LG's might not happen.

·
Registered
983 Posts
why would they make a DLP?

just to jump on the 1080p bandwagon?

I think many company's who are building these 1080p sets are going to face many issues with the introductory lineup... perhaps the companys who learn from the others may come out on top.

·
Registered
691 Posts
This *is* a shame. I was also considering the Hitachi as an alternative to the SXRD. Now it looks like it's down to 3, and the Sony seems easily to be the front-runner. I was leaning heavily towards an SXRD already, especially with the street date moved up a month, but I still would have been willing to wait til December if the Hitachi sounded like it might be a better set, say for example if it had 1080p inputs. Guess there's no reason to wait now. Sony is definitely the big winner here. JVC and LG aren't likely to give Sony much of a fight, and with Hitachi out of the way, Sony will be the premier 1080p manufacturer, and will have less competition for market share and less downward pressure on price.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat
why would they make a DLP?

just to jump on the 1080p bandwagon?

I think many company's who are building these 1080p sets are going to face many issues with the introductory lineup... perhaps the companys who learn from the others may come out on top.
I only said 1080p DLP because it seems to be the easiest turnkey solution for manufactures who want to say, "yea, we have 1080p too".

Epson is showing a prototype 1080p HTPS LCD light engine but I don't know if they are available yet. I doubt Sony would share SXRD. I haven't heard who is manufacturing LG's LCoS. I haven't followed JVC's 1080p plans but I don't know if they OEM the light engines to competitors.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LG planned to come out in August with two LCoS 1080p sets. The two models are a 71" 71SL1D and a 62" 62SL1D.

These models are 1080p and use SpatiaLight's LCoS chips (3 chip system) and are supposed to have a contrast ratio along the lines of 3500:1. Both models are expected to ship with integrated ATSC tuners.

However, it looks as if they will be late. I have not been able to find much on these sets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Where are you getting this info that they have suspended production. I see their new sets prominently displayed in their projection TV section as well as a discussion of how their system works. I find no mention of this revelation anywhere but here. So I was wondering the origin of this info.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZEqualizer
Where are you getting this info that they have suspended production. I see their new sets prominently displayed in their projection TV section as well as a discussion of how their system works. I find no mention of this revelation anywhere but here. So I was wondering the origin of this info.
The models listed in Hitachi's website are new LCD 720p. There is no mention of 1080p LCoS models.

As for the information, I got it from Hitachi's customer service. I was inquiring about release date for the new LCoS 1080p RPTV's. I was interested in these sets because of space constrains. The dimensions for the 60" wide model were 64"W X 36 1/2" H X 20" L.

Anyway, this is what Hitachi customer service answered:

"Unfortunately, Hitachi has suspended it's plans to manufacture the LCoS technology for the 2005 model year. At this time, they have not released the specific reason or whether they plan on introducing it in the 2006 line. I apologize for the inconvenience."

·
Registered
17 Posts
I talked to Hitachi customer service and got the same message. No 1080p LCOS this year and no information on if or when they might be available in the future.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayi
LG planned to come out in August with two LCoS 1080p sets. The two models are a 71" 71SL1D and a 62" 62SL1D.

These models are 1080p and use SpatiaLight's LCoS chips (3 chip system) and are supposed to have a contrast ratio along the lines of 3500:1. Both models are expected to ship with integrated ATSC tuners.

However, it looks as if they will be late. I have not been able to find much on these sets.

SpatiaLight says that LG changed the specs for the LCOS chips very late in the game. This resulted in a delay of 3 months for SpatiaLight's production. They are shipping to LG now however, so, that would likely mean that LGs sets now would be pushed back to Oct/Nov.

If Hitachi's displays were based on SpatiaLight's chips, they would probably have to slip 2-3 months also. Thus, nothing in 2005.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMoss
SpatiaLight says that LG changed the specs for the LCOS chips very late in the game. This resulted in a delay of 3 months for SpatiaLight's production. They are shipping to LG now however, so, that would likely mean that LGs sets now would be pushed back to Oct/Nov.

If Hitachi's displays were based on SpatiaLight's chips, they would probably have to slip 2-3 months also. Thus, nothing in 2005.
Hitachi's LCoS displays were based on their own (proprietary) LCoS chips, not SpatiaLight's. Maybe Hitachi is having yield problems with their own chips and that could be the reason for them not going into the LCoS business for now.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayi
Hitachi's LCoS displays were based on their own (proprietary) LCoS chips, not SpatiaLight's. Maybe Hitachi is having yield problems with their own chips and that could be the reason for them not going into the LCoS business for now.
When Toshiba killed their LCoS model in January 2004 they said that it was due to Hitachi not being able to solve the yield problem. At that time there was also the possibility that chips were failing in owners sets. Toshiba bought the sets back from their owners.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMoss

The LCOS maker always has a dog-ate-my-homework excuse. The TV maker, meanwhile, ships DLP and LCD with no problem.

It's always the LCOS maker's fault. Never believe the transferrence.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.