AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took LOTR DVD up to Circuit City tonight to watch some scenes on their 51SWX20B. I couldn't figure out what was the correct watching mode for widescreen DVD's. So I wanted to find out what you guys watch them on.

Also, the picture was full of artifacts (on any aspect). Can anyone test this on their SWX tonight (I'm going to buy tomorrow if I'm getting the Hitachi).

A scene in particular is near the beginning when Gandalf arrives in the Shire. The closeups of his face produced several "blocky" sections. I was standing roughly 6-7 feet away (and I have good eyes).

Thanks in advance.

Frank

Gainesville, FL

·
Registered
54 Posts
Frank,

Don't worry it isn't the TV. I have a 57UWX and LOTR looks great. The TV should be on 16:9 Standard. The DVD player should be set to 16:9 also. If you have an interlaced DVD player the TV should be set to Movie mode. If you have a progressive (which I do not) most say to not use Movie mode so it will not use 3:2 pulldown (can cause artifacts). SVM should be off and sharpness should be low (30 or less) - both of these will contribute to the blockiness in the picture otherwise. The CC in my town showed me DVDs using a composite RCA connection - how sad is that! Make them go down at least 10% - you can get them to go lower if you buy a service plan. Enjoy the TV (and root for the noles to kick some dawg butt.....)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info DYH,

The only reason I went up to test is because at Sears they have an SWX and Toshiba H side by side, playing the same DVD. I have a hunch something is wrong with their SWX, but the Toshiba absolutely blew it away. And it was an older H model....I wonder if the HDX is actually better in reality (I know the specs are).

At CC, they are going to do 10% off, plus 10% of the total purchase back on a gift card (coupon), and another $100 gift card.

The drawback to the Toshiba is that I can't find an HDX to look at anywhere, and I will have to buy it online.....

Frank

Gainesville, FL

P.S. Sorry, just can't bring myself to cheer for the Noles... :p

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.