AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Under the INPUT menu heading there's an item - RGB - which gives the horizontal and vertical frequencies of the input signal for both RGB and Component inputs. So for example, the input frequencies of a progressive PAL DVD signal will be shown as fH=31.5kHz and fV=50Hz (approx.) which is what you'd expect.

With an DTV signal from the 1080i output of the one and only high definition set top box available in Australia (DGTEC DH2000A), the input frequencies, as shown on the Hitachi, are 28.2kHz and 25.1Hz. This applies whether the program is HD or SD but these frequencies are 'out of sync' with component.

We have one HD demonstration loop that broadcasts every day for several hours, but HD programs are few and far between. The HD loop is an anamorphic 1440x1080i at 50Hz.

With an RGBHV connection between the STB and the projector, the HD image is more detailed than any DVD I've seen but the colour is not as good - perhaps a limitation of the RGB input. Furthermore, the HD image - in RGB mode - shows lots of motion artifacts in the form of visible horizontal lines on the parts of the image that are in motion and jagged edges most noticeable on diagonals. I would describe this is more noticeable than any screen door effect on other projectors and a mar on the usually film-like, smooth effect of the LCOS system.

Switching the output of the STB to 1152i/576P allows the Hitachi to display HD through the component jacks. The input frequencies are then shown as similar to progressive DVD (give or take a few decimal points), and the picture quality looks pretty similar to DVD.

Would someone (anyone?) care to speculate what's going on here. How does the SX5500W handle a 1080i signal? What does it do with it? What input signal readouts do you guys get in America when the Hitachi is fed a 1080i signal from an STB?

Any feed back would be much appreciated. I'm also trying to justify the purchase of a Panamorph but so far I just can't see the benefits with this projector.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I got 33.7 kHz and 30 Hz watching CBS HD.

with a DTC100.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

That interesting! 33,700/30=28,200/25=1125i (approx.). Allowing for blanking that brings the picture information to 1080i which is what HD is supposed to be. The Hitachi appears to be showing the frame rate rather than the field rate. You're on a 60Hz system. We're on a 50Hz system in Australia.

I'm reluctant to ask you to look for defects in the HD image you're getting from CBS (but I will in any case). Do you not see motion artifacts, ie. horizontal lines and jaggies on parts of the image that are moving?

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
red tint?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also got 33.7 kHz and 30 Hz on Hitachi.

Using Samsung t150 tuner on CBS, WB, FOX, and UPN

I have seen some minimal motion artifacts on UPN (basketball game), which also appeared on a Sony XBR tv.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
from what I know there was a lot of problems with the pre production units feeding HD into the RGB input. It was better to use the component input. Hitachi was supposed to have fixed the problem and they say use RGB for HD, but it sounds like there are still problems. I have no HD yet so I can not test. I will talk to Hitachi about this for you see what they say. I know Tom at Immersive did a lot of testing on this unit and he may be able to give you some info (see his banner top of page)

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Well I just ordered one for myself.

My distributor opened 5 units to get the best one. They all had the red tint

but he found one that had it at a minimal amount. Ill have it tomorrow.

Hopefully I will be happy with this unit.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Alan,

please comment on the projector capabilities when you have it setup. I'm really interested in your expert advice.

cheers,

Halcy

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alan,

Welcome to the club! With your associations in the AV arena maybe we'll see some action with this projector. I'm curious though as to why you think there's a red tint. The Japanese consider a white complexion to be the epitome of beauty - witness the chalk white complexions in the traditional Kabuki plays or the white faces of Geisha girls. Low temperatures do not enhance this effect. High temperatures do.

Thanks for the feedback regarding input frequencies. One more question to my American friends. Can you get this fH of 33.7kHz through the component inputs of the SX5500W? 28.2kHz over here is out of sync.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi,

Just a quick question.... How do you get to see the H and V frequencies when using Component in??

I feed my 5500 with a progressive signal from a Matrix/Skyworth DVD player... When I use the YUV mode and the "component" output, the freq display indicates 0 for both. When I add a VGA connection between the player and the PJ, set the player for RGBHV, i can see the freq. while feeding a RGBHV signal, if I switch to component (from a Pioneer player) I still can see the freq. but they seem to be those from the VGA signal (not being displayed).

If I turn off the RGBHV input, the freq. go back to 0.

So I am kinda puzzled... Answer anyone?

Regards,

François

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Francois,

Generally, the H and V frequencies are only displayed in RGB mode. From the DVDO iScan the readout is 31.5kHz x 50Hz for PAL and 31.5kHz x 60Hz for NTSC (rounding the decimal points). Component progressive scan from the DVD player into the component jacks of the Hitachi produce a zero readout as do interlaced signals from the player.

For some reason which I don't pretend to understand, the HD outputs from my DGTEC STB, via the component jacks, are able to produce an fV and fH readout. 1080i is out of sync although it's only 28.2kHz x 25Hz but 576P works (via component) and produces a readout the same as progressive PAL DVD.

I also find it quite odd that Hitachi don't mention in their brochures or spec sheets that the projector is capable of receiving a 576P signal, although it clearly is.

·
Registered
107 Posts
[QU

Arryz,

Thanks for answering

Quote:
Originally posted by barryz
Francois,

For some reason which I don't pretend to understand, the HD outputs from my DGTEC STB, via the component jacks, are able to produce an fV and fH readout. 1080i is out of sync although it's only 28.2kHz x 25Hz but 576P works (via component) and produces a readout the same as progressive PAL DVD.
Actually... I tested further.. and it looks like I can get the freq displayed when using the component connection but only if the signal is interlaced.... Not with a progressive signal. It could be that the "progressive!QUOT! setting has something to do with that.....

Quote:

I also find it quite odd that Hitachi don't mention in their brochures or spec sheets that the projector is capable of receiving a 576P signal, although it clearly is.
I guess they are focusing on the US/Japan market. and NTSC rules... But I do remember reading about 576p support....It was on my "requirements" lists for a PJ. It could have been on Hitachi's Japanese site .....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.