Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

just posted a question, but now I want to write down my impressions of the SIMO.

There was a stand, which had the new Hitachi. When I passed by I was, without knowing anything about this projector, impressed by the image of the Hitachi. I didn´t pay attention, and the next day I looked in this forum and I began to get curios about this new projector. So I went again to the Show to see it a bit closer. They had hooked up an interlaced DVD (Pal) . The interesting thing is that they had also a Panasonic(LCD) and a Plus 3 (DLP) connected simultaneously to the same player. I asked them to play my favourite test DVD (vertical limit). The three projectors where projected on a 1,5 m wide screen with a lot of ambient light. The best was the Hitachi. The DLP had a strange flickering. The LCD had screendoor. The DLP and LCOS had no screendoor. The image was too small to notice the difference of pixelation between the XGA DLP and the SXGA LCOS.

I think that the progressive setting of the Hitachi was set to off. I noticed that on the eyes of the actors weren’t round. It has stairsteps.

The only thing that I changed was the Gamma correction to Movie. It improved the colours a lot. I also don´t know if the black enhancement was turned on. In spite of this the blacks were black enough. In spite of the ambient light.

But what I liked about the Hita was how relaxing it was to look at the picture.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes the three screen where 1,5 m wide.

About the contrast I think the Hitachi had the best one. The Panasonic(I don´t remember the model. It was a white one.) was close. The plus U3 disapointed me in this aspect. It has poor contrast.

Settings of brihtness/contrast where at manufactures setting at all three models.

I also saw the JVC G15, but at another Stand. My impression was that the contrast of the JVC compared to the Hitachi wasn´t better. probably the lightconditions?

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
hi

I saw too the Hitachi at the www.acf.be fair last weekend and was impressed. it was projecting DEEP BLUE SEA on a 1.5m screen ( maybe 1.3meter). I put my nose on the screen, about 5cm away: no pixels! no screendooor! and the image looked quite good, warm colors, very good blacks (kinda crt like) and all this with massive artificial lights from the show.

now, do you remember if it had RGBHV on BNCs ? I can't remember that. the US model says no.

thanks

dave

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for your opinion of the Hitachi, david 600.

No, It don´t had BNC´s. It had normal Composite RGB.

But the projector was connected in the show via s-video.

I ordered a review, and they told me that I´ll get one at my home next week. Hope it´ll be closer to monday than to end of week...:)

By the way: Global TV is the best shop in Madrid, but they don´t have the Hitachi... not yet?;)

Anyone know if Dilard will work with the Hitachi?

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Quote:
Anyone know if Dilard will work with the Hitachi?
We tried to support this "out of the gate", but all we can get from Hitachi are the automation controls. They won't send the low-level controls for gamma, sub-contrast, sub-brightness, biases, gains, etc. that we are really looking for.

If anyone has some pull and can get us the codes, there is a free license for the developed software in it for you....

·
Registered
65 Posts
goldplata,

If you get an "up close and personal" look at the Hatichi, there are several of us on the Forum that would love to hear a detailed impression -- especially with respect to black levels, and contrast range.

Also, if you've had some experience viewing DLP projectors, perhaps you could comment on how LCOS compares with DLPs in general. I understand that there is almost no pixel visibility, but I wonder if there are other advantages such as sharpness of image, color qualities, or other tangible advantages to the LCOS technology over DLP.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This morning (Spain) I caled the dealer and she(!) told me that the unit will be for review nearly end of the next week, begining of the folowing week.... Spain is different! Anyway I think it´ll be soon.

Please everybody tell me what you want me to look at. The DVD´s I use to review are:

- Vertical Limit: For the Black level and for the whites(lots of snow)

-Gladiator: For the contrast

-U571 :For the dark scenes

I usually have my Sony TV on, so I can compare the colors.

Also I connect my digital camera... I think that the colors of real live are the best I know...

But PLEASE give me some Tips where to look at...

Thank you.

I promisse That I´ll write a detailed review...whithin my posibilities.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Goldplata,

Here's my wish list for a review :D

1. Normal and high contrast screen performance (any chance of getting your hands on a GreyHawk or some reasonable facsimile for the testing?)

2. Close attention to contrast issues and depth of blacks at factory settings as this seems to be the potential stumbling block with this projector with some rather different reports. I guess related to this you will need to tell us the image width and whether you are projecting from the middle of the throw distance, plus info on amount of ambient light in your setting. My preference would be that you test in a setting with some ambient light, since I suspect that the majority of us do not have complete control and that this will give us some kind of a 'worst case scenario' for the contrast.

3. Same issues as above and your ability to modify them with contrast controls, gamma correction and black enhancement mode.

4. Comments on overall colour rendition, particularly of human skin tones. (D-ILA gurus (and LCOS evangelists) any other issues goldplata should be looking for in the shift away from a Xenon bulb to a 220 UHB source?)

5. Possible to use an HTPC for your testing? Possible to see if your dealer supplying the Hitachi has another high end projector(s) which you can use for comparative purposes?

6. Comments on audible noise from the unit.

7. That you ask others here for 'definitive' DVD suggestions to put a projector through it's paces, particularly in respect to contrast issues and colour rendition.

I'm sure others here will pitch in with other criteria for you to do a definitive review :) . Actually, there may well be another Forum member in your area who would be interested to help out (and may have screens/HTPC, etc.). Grubert, any Spanish connections you may know about?

And of course, no definitive review would be complete without the obligatory screenshots that we all love so much :D . Maybe you or a Forum friend can scoop a digital camera? Webspace to post them will be no problem.

That's it amigo, you are the first person I've seen here to offer to do this and who actually sounds like he is going to get in there first. Kind of like Neil Armstrong, eh?

·
Registered
219 Posts
Quote:
If anyone has some pull and can get us the codes,
Mark I have had some email contacts with Hitachi about this projector and have some names. Don't know if it's high enough to give the pull you need but happy to pass along what I know if you PM me.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok,

I´ll do alll this. Of course I´ll take lots of fotographs of the picture. Hope It´ll help. I think a 3megapixel photoimage will help...

I´m as impatient as you... I´m probably not the best person for this review as I didn´t saw too much projectors. The one I saw where:

-Dreamvision Moviestar plus; Moviestar; Lighty; Dl 500 Starlight

-Davis Cinema 10

-Infocus 530LP, 350

-Sanyo XP21 (side by side with Infocus 530)

-Lots of horrible cheap LCD´s

-Sony VW10 and VW11

-Toshiba MT7

The only two projectors that convinced me a bit, where the Davis and Moviestar plus... but a bit too expensive. Also I didn´t liked the flickering of DLP...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Quote:
Ok, I´ll do alll this. Of course I´ll take lots of fotographs of the picture. Hope It´ll help. I think a 3megapixel photoimage will help...
Goldplata, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Dave (President elect of the Friends of Spain and Goldplata Fan Club)

·
Registered
7,935 Posts
goldplata, you have PM.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I´ll keep you all informed!

·
Registered
555 Posts
goldplata,

If you don't mind I would be interested to know if you could see an jaggies on the James Taylor "Live at the Beacon" DVD.

Thanx

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
wow!! looks like the entire forum is awaiting on your review! :) and that's great

suggestions to "give a good workout" with the Hitachi:

to test its abilitiy to display blacks, dark scenes and it's contrast capacity:

DARK CITY (!)

THE RELIC (!!)

BATMAN

THE BONE COLLECTOR

THE CROW

DRACULA

HEAT

THE GODFATHER

THE LOST WORLD

SEVEN

SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

CAST AWAY

U571

for it's "green" ability :D

THE MATRIX

easy discs :) for a projector:

RULES OF ENGAGEMENT

MISSION IMPOSSIBLE

STARSHIP TROOPERS

THE PATRIOT ( a bit grainy though)

BLADE

RUSH HOUR

for very detailed discs:

GLADIATOR

SUPERBIT DVDS

for non anamorphic discs:

SIX DAYS SEVEN NIGHTS ( great outdoor sequences)

HARD RAIN

JACK RYAN COLLECTION

for live concerts and test its contrast and blacks depth:

PETER FRAMPTON LIVE IN DETROIT

THE CORRS UNPLUGGED OR LIVEN IN LONDON

KILLIE MINOGUE AUSTRALIA CONCERT

all region 1 discs here of course :) ( for better encoding-compression :D gggggg )

·
Registered
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by milori

We tried to support this "out of the gate", but all we can get from Hitachi are the automation controls. They won't send the low-level controls for gamma, sub-contrast, sub-brightness, biases, gains, etc. that we are really looking for.
Wrong thread for my question and you've probably answered this before, but with an HTCP and the right graphics card, can't you adjust the gamma tables on the graphics card just as well as on the projector?

·
Registered
108 Posts
goldplata,

May I suggest S-Video connection to check how good the built-in progressive scan is.

Titanic (look for jaggies at the pan shots of the ship).

I'm specially interested in how well the built-in progressive scan perform on 3-2 pull down and de-interlacing.

Other suggestions:

Shaespeare in Love

The 13th Worrior

The 5th Element (SUPERBIT if you have one)

Also please comment on the scaler, Black Enhancement and Noise Reduction feature.

You'll be a busy man.

Thanks.

·
Registered
65 Posts
goldplata,

I think that everyone who's asking you to check out particular DVDs should buy you a copy of the ones they're requesting. ;) Actually, I'm only half kidding. It would be your price for a great review. Nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

However, I'm also interested in the HDTV picture quality -- I can't afford to buy you an HDTV set top box though. :rolleyes:

Also, that Black Enhancement feature could be the lifesaver for this unit, if it helps compensate for the low contrast ratio spec.

- John

Oh yes, maybe someone already knows this one: will a Panamorph lens work in conjunction with keystone correction on a projector? In my setup, I'd use both the horizontal and vertical correction of the Hitachi. Unless it distorts with a Panamorph

So, you gonna take the week off for this then, goldplata? :p That's the spirit!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.