AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been searching for a 50†projection TV for awhile, have been to Futureshop and BB in Vancouver, still couldn’t make up my mind yet. I have looked at Toshiba, Samsung, Panny, JVC, …The problem is when I looked at the PQ at Futureshop and BB, they are really poor. The salesperson always said that because all the TVs share the same source, the signals are not strong enough. He said that all TVs will look good if the signals are good. But then, how do I make my decision if I can’t see the best of the TVs…anyway.

So I went to this local electronic retail store, this salewperson was really pushing hard for the Hitachi TV, said they are the best seller in the US, just not very interested in the Canadian market. I am not sure if he was telling the truth. Anyway, he showed me some test on the 42†Hitachi, Sony, Samsung DLP, and seems like the Hitachi does show a bit better. But then I don’t think he showed me everything yet. At the end, he told me the new Hitachi VF810 series TVs will come out in mid September and told me to go back to see the new ones.

My questions to everyone who has Hitachi TVs (Projection TVs), how do you like your TVs, any major problems? How’s the support and any of you have to return your unit?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have seen the Hitachi CRT RPTVs and the PQ seems really nice (Saw a 46" and a 51").

However the LCD you spoke of I have not seen other than at a store and even then not much.

I too am interested in info on the Hitachi 42", the 42V525 to be precise.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i get the feeling that you are talking about microdisplays (dlp lcd) so perhaps this won't help

i have had a hitachi 51 crt-rp for exactly a week and it has a few drawbacks (size, weight, design)

but pq is definitely not one of them

the pq is spectacular

put on the 5th element and you will see

no screen door, no rainbows, no pixelation

the only artifacts that you see are coming from the dvd not the set

it produces, imo, the most 'film like" of all displays you can possibly buy

that said, there are many factors to consider when buying a tv

picture quality isn't the only thing

on many of those other factors the hitachi crt-rp comes in at the bottom of the list

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea, mostly looking at LCD or DLP. Lately, I think I have given up on DLP. I have looked at the Samsung and Toshiba DLP, they just don't look that good at the stores, the sales guy keep saying it's the signal at the store, but you are trying to sell me something, shouldn't you show me the best side of the product?

Anyhow, from all the posts I have seen, which ever TV I buy, there will be problems, it just the matter of major or minor..

·
Registered
143 Posts
right

the store does always send a bad signal

its a shame

all sets have issues

believe me i researched to the point of going nutty

all have drawbacks

sony lcd is the far and away sales leader in microdisplays

whether thats the sony name or well deserved ??

i would certainly look at the sony a10 and a20

up here in canada the toshiba dlp is priced a lot better

but in the states the a10/20 series are affordable and offer a great picture and great value

though, for pure pq the crt-rp wins hands down

good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are right about going nuts, I think I am at the stage right now. Everyone keeps asking me whether I have bought my TV yet, it starts to annoy me.

Here in Vancouver, the choices are very limited in my opinion for LCD or DLP projection TVs, basically each brand has one model in different sizes, and there are only 5 brands, Hitachi, JVC, Panny, Samsung, Toshiba. Some of the TVs that people mention in this forum don't come here at all. Not too sure if it's a good or bad thing, anyhow..

I have not seen any A10 or A20 series in Vancouver, they are new right? All these brands mention about new models coming out around July and August, why haven't they arrive at the stores yet? At least I haven't seen them in Futureshop and BB at all...

Has anyone bought a TV thru internet? How reliable are they and how's the technical support if something happens to the TV?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonm
I have been searching for a 50” projection TV for awhile, have been to Futureshop and BB in Vancouver, still couldn’t make up my mind yet. I have looked at Toshiba, Samsung, Panny, JVC, …The problem is when I looked at the PQ at Futureshop and BB, they are really poor. The salesperson always said that because all the TVs share the same source, the signals are not strong enough. He said that all TVs will look good if the signals are good. But then, how do I make my decision if I can’t see the best of the TVs…anyway.

So I went to this local electronic retail store, this salewperson was really pushing hard for the Hitachi TV, said they are the best seller in the US, just not very interested in the Canadian market. I am not sure if he was telling the truth. Anyway, he showed me some test on the 42” Hitachi, Sony, Samsung DLP, and seems like the Hitachi does show a bit better. But then I don’t think he showed me everything yet. At the end, he told me the new Hitachi VF810 series TVs will come out in mid September and told me to go back to see the new ones.

My questions to everyone who has Hitachi TVs (Projection TVs), how do you like your TVs, any major problems? How’s the support and any of you have to return your unit?

Thanks in advance.
I have the 50VS810 and love it... no problems so far. I do get some random splotches on the screen when it first turns on, but they disappear after 15 minutes or so. The HD picture is superb and the the SD material looks respectable. I was really concerned with the glare on the set initally, but it has not been a problem so far.

T

·
Registered
143 Posts
Quote:
You are right about going nuts, I think I am at the stage right now. Everyone keeps asking me whether I have bought my TV yet, it starts to annoy me.

Here in Vancouver, the choices are very limited in my opinion for LCD or DLP projection TVs, basically each brand has one model in different sizes, and there are only 5 brands, Hitachi, JVC, Panny, Samsung, Toshiba. Some of the TVs that people mention in this forum don't come here at all. Not too sure if it's a good or bad thing, anyhow..

I have not seen any A10 or A20 series in Vancouver, they are new right? All these brands mention about new models coming out around July and August, why haven't they arrive at the stores yet? At least I haven't seen them in Futureshop and BB at all...

Has anyone bought a TV thru internet? How reliable are they and how's the technical support if something happens to the TV?
there are no really good options for delivery in canada

its pretty much sears, future,bestbuy and absound

the sony a10 is at absound for $3999 for the 55

looks great

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The 50VS810 model I don’t think is available in Vancouver, at least not in Futureshop and BB. Actually, Futureshop and BB are owned by the same corporation, so they basically carry the same products at the same price.

All these new TVs and I haven’t seen one in Vancouver, all I see in stores are some 2003 crappy models with bad signals..lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
don't want to bash Vancouver anymore, it's a great city to live in, but in terms of technology wise, I think we are so far behind. There are limited internet options here, it's either ADSL or Cable, and it's only Telus or Shaw. There is no competition at all, they don't improve their services at all, which they don't care because if you don't use them, who else can you go to?!

TVs wise, just like I said, no new TVs here. The only Hitachi LCD projection TVs is the V500 model and V525...no VS what so ever..

·
Registered
983 Posts
Quote:
don't want to bash Vancouver anymore, it's a great city to live in, but in terms of technology wise, I think we are so far behind. There are limited internet options here, it's either ADSL or Cable, and it's only Telus or Shaw. There is no competition at all, they don't improve their services at all, which they don't care because if you don't use them, who else can you go to?!

TVs wise, just like I said, no new TVs here. The only Hitachi LCD projection TVs is the V500 model and V525...no VS what so ever..
I bought mine at visions... not sure if there is a store in Vancouver.

the v500 is a good tv as well. owned one before I bought the vs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are couple here in Vancouver, but I don't think they carry items different from Futureshop or BB, but I will go check it out anyway.. Thanks !

·
Registered
35 Posts
Quote:

I just purchased the VS715 which I am told is the V500 replacement with a few added benefits (dont know what is different between the two) But so far I am loving the TV, the HD picture is looking more appealing to me than my old Toshiba 57h83 Crt, and the DVD is better as well. I was trying to decide between the 715 and the new Toshiba Hm95, and i was leaning towards the Toshibia which was a little more pricey to begin with, then the store through in the matching stand for the Hitachi and I couldnt resist. Right now I am trying to get the settings right on the VS715 but it doesnt seem like a lot of people are buying this model so I am trying to research it myself to see if there is some kind of known problem out there or not. I can't even find any reviews online for this Tv...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The sales person who showed me the Hitachi TV, compared the aspect ratio between Hitachi and the Sony..basically he switched to a SD channel, and then he showed the image in 4:3 (with grey bars on sides) and 16:9 (full screen). He said that the Hitachi TV doesn't stretch the image horizontally, but diagonally...I did notice that the Sony does show the image a bit stretch....However, I would think other TVs have that kind of capability as well...anyone has any input on this issue?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Quote:
The 50VS810 model I don’t think is available in Vancouver, at least not in Futureshop and BB. Actually, Futureshop and BB are owned by the same corporation, so they basically carry the same products at the same price.

All these new TVs and I haven’t seen one in Vancouver, all I see in stores are some 2003 crappy models with bad signals..lol
I have the 50VS810, bought it at A&B Sound on Marine Drive.

Audio Video Unlimited and Visions also carry this model. You may find it scarce at this stage of the game with new models coming this fall. I would think you should be able to get a good deal if you can find one.

PM me if you want pricing info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see, good to know, I will go check it out.

How's the VS810 so far? I might wait for the VF series if they are coming out.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Quote:
I see, good to know, I will go check it out.

How's the VS810 so far? I might wait for the VF series if they are coming out.
So far so good.. No, the whites aren't as "white" as a Sony and it it takes some tweaking to minimize the green tinge.

I have seen screen blotches once but it was a very moist day and they disappeared quickly. Picture is very good on DVD and suprisingly good on most TV channels. ( ExpressVu).

Next upgrade is HiDef PVR and a better DVD player.

Were I in your shoes I'd be tempted to wait for the new series too. I'll be afraid to look at them when they come out ;)

I have no doubt they'll be better and probably cheaper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hope so too.

I just saw the Song A20 in the Futureshop webstie, so far most people here have good feedbacks on this one, I will check it out too

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I bought my Hit. 57S500 more than 2 years ago and am still congratulating myself daily on the purchase. The only thing is I paid $360 for a year's extended warranty so frugality concern had me hold off until warranty's end to remove the protective screen. What a blessing to have all that glare gone, kaput, eliminated (even though it took me and my wife about two hours to remove it)!! The TV's in the family room where there are five huge windows, french doors and two skylights.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.