AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to educate myself for the past few weeks on the various brand of plasmas and their pros and cons before I take the serious dollar plunge. Thanks to all of you on this board for your helpful insights.

So today I finally went out to various B&M stores to see the oft-talked about plasmas first-hand. Although I did not have the opportunity to fiddle with the controls on the ones I saw, I did get to see various inputs (satellite, standard and HD and DVD) on a Panny HD, ED and Hitachi 42HDT20. Of the three, I was surprised that I found the image best on the Hitachi (although it did push red on the color). The Pannys also looked great, but the detail was a little sharper and the picture a little brighter on the Hitachi. (I also found the picture on the Panny HD to be slightly better, weighing in on that debate, but probably not significantly so from 8-10').

I have seen very little on the board regarding the Hitachi, other than the fact that it uses ALIS and that has some questions. Does anyone have any opinions on the pq of the Hitachi, either alone or in comparison to the Pannys? And is the Hitachi 42HDT20 the same or similar to the Hitachi CMP4202? How do they differ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
107 Posts
rdl44, I haven't personally seen the the Hitachi 42hdt20 but am very interested in the model. There has been a few posts on this site most mentioning the standard/satellite feed is average at best and poor in some cases. DVD and high defintion viewing were mentioned to be excellent. What was your impression of regular/satellite source compared to the panny? Most of my watching will be standard cable.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The standard satellite feed wasn't great on the Hitachi (thought it looked a little jagged and fuzzy) but it didn't look significantly better, if at all, on either Panny. Admittedly, these sets probably weren't properly calibrated, and I don't know the quality of the satellite feed. I am also concerned by this because the bulk of my watching would be on satellite, but maybe that's just a limitation of plasma screens, and until the originating signal is of better quality, the TV can only do so much with it.

The image still looked better than a regular CRT.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rdl44
The standard satellite feed wasn't great on the Hitachi (thought it looked a little jagged and fuzzy) but it didn't look significantly better, if at all, on either Panny. Admittedly, these sets probably weren't properly calibrated, and I don't know the quality of the satellite feed. I am also concerned by this because the bulk of my watching would be on satellite, but maybe that's just a limitation of plasma screens, and until the originating signal is of better quality, the TV can only do so much with it.

The image still looked better than a regular CRT.
I'm in the market for a Plasma as well, and primarly a sattelite user (DirecTivo) and from what I can tell, many sattelite channels suffer from bandwidth problems that seem to show up more on the Plasma displays. I would be interested in other sattelite users with Plasma displays on this subject.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.