AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to PC Richard, CCity and one other store and I have to say I was very impressed with the Hitachi 42" (I think the model was something like 42HTP20M). So much so that I'm now rethinking....AGAIN...my decision to purchase the PHD6UY. Sigh....

Thing is, I don't think I can take the lack of shadow detail with the panny's. I've seen the 42PA20U and the PHD5UY in multiple stores now and while it has a good picture, the shadow detail just isn't good enough for my personal taste. This may change with the PHD6UY, but I have a feeling this is the "flavor" that is panasonic. Some prefer it, others don't.

The Hitachi, however, had great shadow detail and "good" blacks (the panny was definitely darker). I would say it was similar to the look of a pioneer with a very "punchy, vibrant" type picture. I wonder if it is due to the AliS technology? Does anyone have one or can someone elaborate on the Hitachi line (including the timing of new models)?

Anyway, now I have to determine whether to get a crusty pio or go with an Hitachi. And to add more salt on the wound, I think I like the 42" panels (all makes/models) better than the 50" ones. It just seems like there is alot more "punch" and brightness to the 42"s.

Ugh...my head hurts. Pass a bottle of aspirin, please.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Think that might even be the older model. I believe the newer one is the 42HDT50.....of course you are comparing an EDTV to an HDTV (alis) panel but I agree...they look pretty darn good with the feeds I've seen in stores. I was wondering if it's the same panel as the Fujitsu 42" HD since both companies work together? The B&M retail is about $1K less for the Hitachi vs the Fujitsu.

Mort

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually the 5uy is HD so I was comparing apples to apples as well. There were also Sony, Toshiba and Philips HD panels right next to it and the closest to it was the Toshiba.

Interesting thought on the Fuijitsu 42". They do share factories, but I don't know. One difference (unless I'm mistaken) is that you can order the Hitachi online and get the warranty whereas you can't with Fuijitsu.

The model you mentioned is on their website but it has speakers and it the consumer version. Is there a commercial model available?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Guess I only noticed the PA20 part. Don't know on the commercial model or what it's call numbers might be. The consumer models' speakers are removeable but it does use a media receiver box, which has it's advantages and disadvantages. Warranty was one year vs the Fujitsu 3 year electronics-1 year glass.

Looking further, the commercial model appears to be the CMP4201/2U and requires a video card. The card(s) Hitachi seems to provide are not equipped with DVI ports like the consumer media box. FWIW

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have read on this board that these are acutally Pioneer panels. I agree they look good. And the media box does have some advantages for me.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, per Lisa the Hitachi CMP-5000WXU is basically a re-badged 503. However, she wasn't sure about the Hitachi 42" CMP4201/2U panel so she is going to find out some more information on it and will let me know sometime next week. The bottom line is that we both seem to really like the look of the AliS technology and don't understand why people seem to shy away from it. :confused:

I can honestly say that if the latest Hitachi (commercial) models are available and within reason cost-wise, that's the direction I'm headed. The panny just isn't for me (not knocking it at all...just a personal taste kind of thing) and I just don't feel right buying a 2 year old pio, especially since they will be releasing their new commercial models 1Q '04. (I just can't wait that long)

My biggest decision after that is 42 or 50. The 42's just seem to have more punch than 50's. But I also want the size, so I guess I have to pick my poison so to speak and get it over with and just buy the damn thing. ;)

·
Registered
80 Posts
One question that seems to not be consistant is Alis. I am only interested in the 50" and I do not believe it is Alis. However, one csr at Hitachi and some documentation says it is. I have not acutally seen a 50HDT50 yet, only the 42 which I am convinced is Alis. Not that it matters if it looks good. The price is still somewhat of an issue.

I agree with your 2 year old comment. I have a friend that just had a 503 installed and it looks great. Just hard not to wait at this point.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excerpts from that Putnam article:

"480i and 480p DVD sources looked great on the Panasonic, NEC, and Hitachi monitors, although 480i/p images appeared just a tad soft on the Hitachi due to non-linear pixel scaling. (This is a problem also observed on the Philips 32FD9954.) It’s something you have to live with when using an AliS plasma monitor – video looks pretty good, but it’s just a tad softer than you would like. Of course, a Wide VGA panel is almost a perfect match to 480p sources and no vertical pixel scaling is required."

I don't get this one. There is a chance the Hitachi I viewed (model ended in 20M..I think it was 42HTP20M) did not have the AliS so take this for what it's worth, but I completely disagree. The Hitachi was sharper than the PA20U (the consumer version of the PWD6UY revied in Putnam's article). Now, they were both showing HDNet, so if this makes the a difference to AliS (HD vs non-HD signals) then that's another story. Is Hitachi the only panel that uses AliS technology?

"My overall favorite for image quality was impossible to choose, but three monitors in this review really stood out for different reasons. Panasonic’s TH-42PWD6 had the lowest black levels and most CRT-like picture, plus the best grayscale tracking. But NEC’s PS42VP4 and Hitachi’s CMP4201 also showed well with a bit more ‘punch’. I attribute this to their higher brightness readings and excellent contrast scores."

I agree with this quote 100%, especially the "punch" comment. That is why I will go with the Hitachi if possible. The panny (again, to me) seems a bit too muted and soft, and the blacks are so black they lose shadow detail. Granted I have not calibrated them myself, but after going to almost 10 stores now I think I have a pretty good idea of what panny's pq "style" is. I even tried futzing with the contrast/brightness myself and it seemed like I was swimming upstream trying to get shadow detail without washing out the rest of the picture. Doing this on the pio or hitachi was the opposite: if I tried to get the blacks alot darker the rest of the picture was too dark. In the end I think it is a function of the maker's design philosophy. (just my 2 cents)

dowlingm - not sure about the 50 and AliS.....will know more next week.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dowlingm
One question that seems to not be consistant is Alis. I am only interested in the 50" and I do not believe it is Alis. However, one csr at Hitachi and some documentation says it is.

Fujitsu/Hitachi joint don't make a 50" glass. So it must be a Pioneer (1280x768) ???

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by goombawa

I don't get this one. There is a chance the Hitachi I viewed (model ended in 20M..I think it was 42HTP20M) did not have the AliS so take this for what it's worth, but I completely disagree. The Hitachi was sharper than the PA20U (the consumer version of the PWD6UY revied in Putnam's article). Now, they were both showing HDNet, so if this makes the a difference to AliS (HD vs non-HD signals)
The Model is 42HDT20. And Yes HD Programming does make a difference in Alis Plasmas. ALiS is supposed to be perfect for a 1080i source as the vertical resolution nearly matches up. You simply lose a few rows top and bottom instead of having the image vertically scaled. So there are also no scaling issues.

DVD and Regular TV look very poor IMO.

***Can't say anything about the PQ on the newer HDT50 models. Never seen one.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Can someone PM me with some online sites that carry the Hitachi 42HDT50 for less than the Sears or B&M prices?

Thank you kindly, Bill L.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
The Hitachi Website lists both 50" 50HDT50 & 55 as (pio resolution) and does not list Alis on either spec sheet nor the Brochure PDF, that I can see.

It appears that there is a frame color difference and extra remote between the two.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I don't know if the Panny you're looking at has a gamma control (some do), but this can make a big difference in the detail in the blacks.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert2413
I don't know if the Panny you're looking at has a gamma control (some do), but this can make a big difference in the detail in the blacks.
Nope. Only on Commercial Models.

It should be available on the Service Menu.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Glauco - I see you are in New York...are you in NYC? If so, can you tell me where you saw the Hitachi panel? Given your explanation of what AliS does/is, I need to see it with DVD/SD first before taking the leap. And I'd want to see the latest HDT50 (actually I'd like to see the commercial version, but that might be too challenging) to know if there was any difference in pq. My guess would probably be no, since it seems the latest round of upgrades to other panels has been more about expandability (DVI/HDCP) and features moreso than a huge leap in pq.

Judging from Hitachi's web site, I don't think the 50 uses AliS. The descriptions for their 42 and the 37 models specifically mention the AliS technology but the 50 description doesn't say anything about it. It's not conclusive evidence, but it would be odd if it did have it and it wasn't in the description (given it is listed on the other models).

As for tweaking the gamma, I understand that it will help with shadow detail, but it will still increase overall brightness/contrast which will begin to wash out the overall picture. I'm pretty certain that it's just a thing with panasonic that doesn't jibe with my personal taste. FYI - the very first time I saw a lineup of panels the 5030 was my immediate favorite and I had *zero* clue about plasma. Absolute zippo. IMO, that's the best test you can have, i.e., using only how it looks to the eye not using stats, reviews, etc. Unfortunately now that I've been reading about this stuff for a few months, I no longer have that "purity" of view. ;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just bought the 42hdt55 and the manual says it is a alis 1024x1024. I had bought the costco akai and was very disappointed in the quality of the picture with Dish signals and even dvd in spite of changing everything recommended on the service menu. The picture of the hitachi with Dish signals is much better than I have seen after months of looking than other plasmas, and DVD is great. I don't have access to HDTV at this time. It upconverts to 1080p rather than 1080i. I sit close to it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Besides the HDT50 and HDT55, the Hitachi website actually shows two other 42" models: HDT20 and HDX60.

Does anyone know what exactly the differences are between these four models? After a cursory read of the material on the website, it wasn't readily apparent to me what the differences were. From other threads on this forum, it sounds like the HDT20 is last year's model. Is that correct? What about the other three models? Are they this year's models, and if so, what differentiates each one from the others?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.